Disneyland Castle

Gorjus

Original Poster
Did the castle in Disneyland used to be called Snow White Castle? I always thought it was hers till I came to work for Disney. What year did Disneyland open? What year did Sleeping Beauty come out?

Kamikaze

Its always been Sleeping Beauty Castle.

Don't feel bad, lots of people mistake the castles, and some even call Cinderella Castle 'Snow White Castle'.

lilclerk

Sleeping Beauty premiered after Disneyland opened, but it was always Sleeping Beauty's Castle. I think it was originally going to be Snow White's, but they changed it to go with the upcoming Sleeping Beauty movie.

Gorjus

Original Poster
Just to be picky, none of the castles have apostrophies in them. It isn't Cinderella's Castle it is Cinderella Castle, kind of as if they left "The" off the beginning of the phrase: (The) Sleeping Beauty Castle, (The) Cinderella Castle.

Why would I get the idea it used to be Snow White Castle? Poor Snow White. The original princess and no respect. No Castle, no real permanent place for a meet and greet, and she takes care of 8 men.

Mr.EPCOT

Walt had referred to it on televsion once as Snow White Castle at some point before the park opened, probably just by mistake.

Disneyland opened on July 17th, 1955.

TP2000

Poor Snow White. The original princess and no respect. No Castle, no real permanent place for a meet and greet, and she takes care of 8 men.

Snow White is often found at her Meet N' Greet location at Snow White's Wishing Well on the east side of the Castle. It's a little wishing well, pond, and waterfall with statues of Snow and the Dwarfes perched on the cliffs. Every few minutes the fountain comes to life, the fish twirl and the frogs squirt water, and Snow White is heard singing her "I'm Wishing" song with echos coming from down in the well.

It's a popular spot for pictures with Snow, and on an average Saturday there are about a dozen young men down on one knee proposing to their dates there. :lol:

Where does Snow White appear for Meet N' Greets in WDW?

NadieMasK2

I've seen her in Epcot near Germany a few times.

I agree, she doesn't get her fair representation, being the first princess and all. I mean, Snow White's Scary Adventures is not the best attraction. And you barely see her in it.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Five Castles: Two Names

There are five Disney Castles world-wide. Disneyland, Disneyland Paris and Hong Kong Disneyland are all "Sleeping Beauty Castle" and Magic Kingdom and Tokyo Disneyland are "Cinderella Castle".

Although Paris' is actually "Le Château de la Belle au Bois Dormant (literally “the Castle of Sleeping Beauty”)"

MsSnuzi

There are five Disney Castles world-wide. Disneyland, Disneyland Paris and Hong Kong Disneyland are all "Sleeping Beauty Castle" and Magic Kingdom and Tokyo Disneyland are "Cinderella Castle".

Although Paris' is actually "Le Château de la Belle au Bois Dormant (literally “the Castle of Sleeping Beauty”)"

Thank you for that great bit of information Monty - you are so helpful :sohappy:

Gorjus

Original Poster
As a rule, Snow White is in Germany, and in the Tour Garden next to City Hall. If it is really raining, she will be inside Expo hall on the bench in front of the mural of the Crystal Palace. However, when it starts to clear up, she will head out on to the porch at Expo Hall. Then of course, if one of our Toon Town princesses isn't able to fulfill her duties, she will be moved to Toon Town where she can spend the day with her friends.

TP2000

I found a nice picture of Snow White's Grotto at Disneyland, or at least the waterfall and fountain with the carved marble statues of Snow White and the Seven Dwarves. http://www.startedbyamouse.com/graphics/gallery/SnowWhitesGrotto640.jpg

The wishing well where Snow White often appears for Meet N' Greets is to the left of the waterfall, and every few minutes when the show cycle starts and the song plays the echo of "I'm wishing" comes from the well. It's a cute little thing.

The statues are an interesting story. In 1961 several large wooden crates arrived at the Studios unannounced. They were sent via Italian Air Mail with no return address in Italy, but clearly addressed to Walt Disney. When the crates were opened they found these gorgeous hand carved statues made with great skill from flawless Italian marble. There was not a note or a card or anything, just these beautiful statues of Snow White and the dwarves. Walt saw them and loved them, and the Studio folks tried to find out who might have sent them to Walt. They were of such fine quality that the waterfall and "grotto" to the east of the Castle was constructed in 1961, and the statues were placed there on display for Disneyland visitors to enjoy.

The only problem was that the figure of Snow White was not really carved to scale, and she was not any taller than the statues of the dwarves. That problem of scale was solved by placing Snow White at the very top of the waterfall away from the dwarves so that it is harder to tell she's not quite the correct size compared to Dopey, etc. To this day the statues have remained there, and the quiet little nook is a popular spot for pictures and wedding proposals. True story!

Snow White's Grotto has become so famous that reproductions of the waterfall, the grotto, the wishing well, and of course the marble statues have been included in Tokyo Disneyland and Hong Kong Disneyland. :sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom