News Disneyland Cancels Its Annual Pass Program - Theme Park Insider & OC Register

Wendy Pleakley

It’s like a million voices suddenly cried out in terror - and were suddenly silenced.

And THEN, it’s like a million WDW Annual Passholders suddenly shut up.

And THEN, it’s like a million tried to renew their WDW AP’s.

1610663081400.png

TP2000

I am fascinated by what their plan is here.

Me too! This is going to be so interesting to watch play out later in 2021 and into 2022.
We've talked in the past about how the AP program was a devil's bargain for the DLR, as it provided a steady source of income for the "locals park", but it also created the entitled "AP culture" that has been a source of frustration for the company. In order for this to work, This could be a good thing....IF the options make sense. My guess is that they'll offer something closer to the Flex Pass going forward, where you have to reserve days that you want to go in advance, but if the single-day costs don't also come down as a result, my guess is they'll see massive losses as people just don't show up.

Yes, the old system hasn't been sustainable since 2012 when DCA was reborn. They tried to fiddle with it, not just by hiking prices that never seemed to deter anyone, but by changing the soft product in the park operation (parades, dance parties, night entertainment, etc.).

But the difficulty was that the hard product of the park operation (parking, transportation, dining capacity, viewing capacity, walkways, attraction capacity) was not changed and not able to accommodate the crush. No matter how many cutesy Tweets they sent out trying to get AP's to go to some unused corner of the property, the results year after year were messy and tragic.

This Covid crisis is the perfect opportunity to put the AP genie back in the bottle. They have the rare opportunity for a complete do-over for the 21st century.

Let's hope they don't screw this up! The worst thing they could do is panic 30 days after the new Resort concept reopens to low crowds and start selling AP's in a panicky rush. AHORA! :rolleyes:

mickEblu

I’m guessing the new program will be different tiers of flex passes. The more expensive the pass the more advance reservations you can make and less blackouts. Maybe the expensive passes can book dates earlier then the cheaper passes too. Advanced reservations will really be the new “blackouts” when weighing options. Some of the cheaper passes will probably have DCA only days where you can’t park hop.

Capped visits don’t seem likely. They want to control capacity, not stop people from going. I wonder if there will be one ultra expensive pass that don’t require reservations.

Last edited:

Nirya

Oh yeah, Disney is DEFINITELY going to try to raise prices when they come back by pretending it's a "boutique experience". They're going to get killed for it.

My honest prediction is the AP program comes back in a year.

ayyylmao

I'm going to predict that vaccines are required for entry.
I think that this is something that would be fun to speculate on.

How would they do this?

They would have to partner with every single medical partner and business that is offering vaccines in order to get data from them and actually verify that the person got the vaccine. That isn't feasible to do at any point in the next year (let along maybe ever).

They could require people to show an actual vaccination card when they register for tickets and / or show up to the park.

This will create a huge black market for fake vaccination cards.

oceanbreeze77

How would they do this?

They would have to partner with every single medical partner and business that is offering vaccines in order to get data from them and actually verify that the person got the vaccine. That isn't feasible to do at any point in the next year (let along maybe ever).

They could require people to show an actual vaccination card when they register for tickets and / or show up to the park.

the airlines have already started up "vaccine passports" on an app, dont see why that can't become a common app for every business that wants to join.

mickEblu

How would they do this?

I find it very frightening to speculate on

Zorro

I have to admit that potentially seeing a lethal blow to the local "treat the park like a mall hang-out" mentality is fine with me. There won't be any tears shed if the likes of Fresh Baked and Justin Scarred can only go to the parks as often as the rest of us non-locals. On the other hand, you would have to be a Pollyanna Whittier to believe that somehow the park will revert to a ca 2000 atmosphere with a true off-season and relaxing days. Unless the analytics show that the "pack 'em in like sardines" approach isn't the most profitable, then expect to find the park as crowded as always when it reopens. Still, I have to admit that I'm somewhat hopeful in that anything at this point has to be an improvement for the non-local.

DrAlice

On the other hand, you would have to be a Pollyanna Whittier to believe that somehow the park will revert to a ca 2000 atmosphere with a true off-season and relaxing days. Unless the analytics show that the "pack 'em in like sardines" approach isn't the most profitable, then expect to find the park as crowded as always when it reopens. Still, I have to admit that I'm somewhat hopeful in that anything at this point has to be an improvement for the non-local.
Agreed. I had my 5 minutes of joy from this news and then realized that the overcrowding problem is only a problem for guests, not Disney. Just look at WDW: it's mostly out-of-towners and there is nothing uncrowded about that place.

mickEblu

I have to admit that potentially seeing a lethal blow to the local "treat the park like a mall hang-out" mentality is fine with me. There won't be any tears shed if the likes of Fresh Baked and Justin Scarred can only go to the parks as often as the rest of us non-locals. On the other hand, you would have to be a Pollyanna Whittier to believe that somehow the park will revert to a ca 2000 atmosphere with a true off-season and relaxing days. Unless the analytics show that the "pack 'em in like sardines" approach isn't the most profitable, then expect to find the park as crowded as always when it reopens. Still, I have to admit that I'm somewhat hopeful in that anything at this point has to be an improvement for the non-local.

I agree mostly but still find it hard to believe we will see them packed in like sardines again in a Post Covid world. I’d imagine they want to change the perception of their parks so when the next inevitable scary Chinese virus comes knocking they won’t have to shut down for 2 years again. Don’t get me wrong, I still think there will be very busy days but perhaps nothing like those New Years Eve and Christmas week crowds ever again.

CaptinEO

As an out-of-towner that's never had an AP, I'm all for killing the current program IF it results in a program that leads to lighter crowds. I realize that's a big if.

I feel for all of you that will have to re-think your DL experience. Also, I wonder what will happen to guests like Peter Tu. He's just as much a part of the DL experience as anything else.
Me too! APs, especially once payment plans came about as well as Youtube worsened Disneyland. This is great news. I'm a local too but I think this will make the park better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom