News Disneyland cancels Annual Pass program

flynnibus

Premium Member
The new APs are about not allowing anyone to have all the benefits.

You can have parking, or maxpass (photos not included anymore), or photopass. You want all of those? Too bad.

You can have different levels of discounts on food, parking, and merch, but you cant have the highest discounts on all 3 at once.

Could just be a survey technique to get people to show what they'd really be willing to sacrifice...

flynnibus

Premium Member
As for those who think Disney loses money on locals who visit often, I can only speak for my family; we spent money each and every time we visited WDW with our annual pass, money we otherwise not given to the mouse had we not visited WDW and in the case of our family we only visited 12 to 15 days a year.

The "we travel from afar and the AP ensures we come to WDW more..." is not the same scenario as the SoCal locals who have APs and drop in for a half day or for the evening frequently.

They are both APs - but very different demographics and very different pros/cons for the parks.

Minnesota disney fan

Wow, I've read all these pages to try and understand the CAlifornia AP's.
From a complete California DL novice, this is my take on the situation.
We are planning a once in a lifetime trip to California including DL as the major attraction to us. We will travel the state and see various other sites too. We wanted to do this trip this summer/fall, but it now depends on covid and what restrictions Cal. has on DL.
If we traveled all the way, driving, from N. Mn. and got our tickets for 2 days, one at each park, and it was soo crowded that we could only do a few attractions, I would be upset and disappointed. IF the overcrowding of AP's is the problem, then I guess a change in the AP's was always going to be done by disney. I don't know if that's true. However, I think disney made this problem by giving AP's that can be used every day if you want to go. I can't blame the locals, because if I had that option and was a local? I would go often too.
So, we can't wait to finally see DL later this year,if it is open. Let's pray it is so that more people can go back to work!!!
If it is crowded, we will deal with it. But it would be disappointing on our once in a lifetime trip.
Just my thoughts as a nonresident and someone who is traveling a long way for our only trip to DL.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that I can see both sides of the issue, as someone who has no horse in the race,

Californian Elitist

I agree but when you open an all you can eat buffet you don’t expect someone to stay 14 hours and puke a couple times during the day even though it’s allowed. Reasonable caps are long overdue.

Not restricting you is not the same as saying "that is how it was designed to be used"

The post office is open 5 days a week - it is not intended that every person visits every day.
Understandable. But Disney was still encouraging the behavior, which was my overall point. That’s the difference between a buffet, a post office, and Disneyland. Employees at a buffet and a post office might tell me to stop coming every day for hours to eat or drop off mail. Disneyland CMs will kindly tell me that they’ll see me tomorrow, after asking for my annual pass for those discounts of course. Might even get a special button to commemorate my loyalty.

asianway

We are planning a once in a lifetime trip to California including DL as the major attraction to us. We will travel the state and see various other sites too. We wanted to do this trip this summer/fall, but it now depends on covid and what restrictions Cal. has on DL.
If we traveled all the way, driving, from N. Mn. and got our tickets for 2 days, one at each park, and it was soo crowded that we could only do a few attractions, I would be upset and disappointed. IF the overcrowding of AP's is the problem, then I guess a change in the AP's was always going to be done by disney. I don't know if that's true. However, I think disney made this problem by giving AP's that can be used every day if you want to go. I can't blame the locals, because if I had that option and was a local? I would go often too.
So, we can't wait to finally see DL later this year,if it is open. Let's pray it is so that more people can go back to work!!!
If it is crowded, we will deal with it. But it would be disappointing on our once in a lifetime trip.
Just my thoughts as a nonresident and someone who is traveling a long way for our only trip to DL.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that I can see both sides of the issue, as someone who has no horse in the race,
Going often and going every day to earn your livelihood are two very different things

asianway

Understandable. But Disney was still encouraging the behavior, which was my overall point. That’s the difference between a buffet, a post office, and Disneyland. Employees at a buffet and a post office might tell me to stop coming every day for hours to eat or drop off mail. Disneyland CMs will kindly tell me that they’ll see me tomorrow, after asking for my annual pass for those discounts of course. Might even get a special button to commemorate my loyalty.
I think we’re saying the same thing, don’t hate the player, hate the game. And Bob just said “last call”

Californian Elitist

The good thing is the AP program will still be extinct when you visit. On the other hand, the Disneyland fan community is very cult-like. There are a bunch of Disneyland-starved folks who will absolutely turn up once the parks reopen, annual pass or not, to document the reopening. But, then again, there will be crowd restrictions in place, which is nice.

My best advice is to try and enjoy what you can. If you are intending to just spend one day in each park, you most likely won’t see everything. Plan for what you do want to see and do your best.

shambolicdefending

I'm not sure that I'm in love with any of options listed.

I'm convinced that part of Disney's calculus in this decision is that there won't be as many passholders/members/whatever-they-call-them in the future as there were in the past.

Disney will say all the right PR things about options, value, flexibility, etc. But, I think there's pretty clearly no expectation that 100% of former APs will buy into the new program. Inevitably, a fair number are going to decide the new options just aren't for them.

mickEblu

I'm convinced that part of Disney's calculus in this decision is that there won't be as many passholders/members/whatever-they-call-them in the future as there were in the past.

Disney will say all the right PR things about options, value, flexibility, etc. But, I think it's pretty clear that there's no intent or expectation that 100% of former APs will buy back into the new program. Inevitably, a fair number are going to decide the new options just aren't for them.

I don’t know about that. Here’s another survey floating around with a $600 pass available

19DDEDB6-6DD7-4E7B-929C-B103970A6C63.jpeg

Zorro

If you're only spending two days at the resort, I would recommend that you skip DCA and focus on DL. You should be able to hit most if not all of the major highlights of DL with two days.

Sailor310

I was a little burned out for DL before covid. I don't think I'd pay $1,000 for a pass. Also, I don't like to have to plan ahead. I might just buy a ticket the 5 times I might go.
The extra $25 for parking deterred me from going some days in the past.

Vegas Disney Fan

Some of these options seem to be, on the surface at least, better for us non-locals.
As a long time AP from Vegas they’d all save me money, either by spending less on the pass or by going less. The break even point has always been about 6 trips for me and I average about 1 trip a month (with my AP) so it was a no brainer.

Since I plan my trips a few weeks in advance making reservations isn’t a big deal, and paying $999 saves me a few hundred a year on the pass itself.

The other option is if they don’t offer a pass my monthly trips will turn into a couple trips a year and I’ll save thousands on tickets, hotels, and food.

Vegas Disney Fan

What's wrong with only offering tickets on a per visit basis? Maybe keeping ticket bundles for repeat visits and tourists, but why must Disneyland have annual passes or memberships? Demand for Disneyland tickets isn't going to significantly diminish under any circumstance as long as the experience is top-notch.

I think attendance would plummet if they went to a ticket only system, the beauty of the AP is it makes multiple DL trips affordable to the average person, without an AP option most people would probably go once or twice a year.

DL and DCA combined for 28 million visits in 2019, if the rumored “million APs” were to go from a couple trips a month to a couple trips a year it would decrease overall attendance by approximately 20 million visits, or over 2/3 of total current park attendance. (which makes me think the million is grossly overestimated, but even half a million APs would result in 10 million fewer visits or 1/3 attendance).

That may be great for relieving crowding and increasing per person spending but I don’t see any company implementing a policy that drives away 30-60% of their business.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom