News Disneyland cancels Annual Pass program

Curious Constance

So I have an honest question. We know there is going to be pent up demand once DLR reopens for at least a couple months. But lets say crowds don't go away after the initial demand, what then? Can't blame it on the AP boogeyman anymore. So what would everyone say is the reason at that point? Just curious.
You mean after the Covid restrictions are gone?

CaptinEO

So I have an honest question. We know there is going to be pent up demand once DLR reopens for at least a couple months. But lets say crowds don't go away after the initial demand, what then? Can't blame it on the AP boogeyman anymore. So what would everyone say is the reason at that point? Just curious.
Then Disneyland is happy as their tickets are priced accordingly and they arent relying on discounted admission.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

The vloggers encourage the exact behavior Disney wants in a consumer: enthusiastic and blind excitement in buying all things Disney.

New cupcake WOW! New gingerbread house OMG! Special Beauty and the Beast rose cup NO WAY!

Now I will say, the vloggers post shutdown have gotten very real and honest and their content is actually unique now. Before it was a dozen people doing the same thing showing the same items at the same location.
It was still that way after the shutdown. every down town disney video is the same as was every video where they went to a Knott's tasting event and everyone one filmed themselves eating the exact same food.

Curious Constance

I was talking more about from the fandom perspective, as its always been APs were blamed for crowding.
Just the sheer space gained from not having a million local people descending upon the parks at any given time is a win. Even if the wait times weren’t noticeably lower. Maybe being able to catch a show or parade without having to wait for 4 hours would be a win for all guests. Not having to crawl past people sitting on curbs all day to watch a parade, etc.
This isn’t just a win for tourists. It’s a win for everyone that goes to the parks with a single or multiple day ticket which will now include former APs.

Stevek

The problem is that DLR has a built-in demand no matter what ticket medium used. APs were just an easy scapegoat in my opinion. We'll see if that demand remains now that APs are gone.
It may take a while to normalize...there was plenty of demand before there were APs. Maybe people plan visits differently now and make it a more special experience? Time will tell.

Curious Constance

IMO, a future membership may include more than theme park admission or discounts. The Disney bundle membership would include Disney + along with discounts on theme parks, DCL, Aulani, ETC. It allows Disney to leverage all of their offerings and entice fans to engage in all aspects of the business.
Couldn’t agree with this sentiment more. I think of it as more of a “Fan Club” that gives you some access and discounts to all things Disney. But they definitely want to engage as many as they can with every aspect of the business that they can. What would be really interesting is if it was something that not just people local to the parks could use/benefit from, but non locals alike.

Stevek

The vloggers encourage the exact behavior Disney wants in a consumer: enthusiastic and blind excitement in buying all things Disney.

New cupcake WOW! New gingerbread house OMG! Special Beauty and the Beast rose cup NO WAY!

Now I will say, the vloggers post shutdown have gotten very real and honest and their content is actually unique now. Before it was a dozen people doing the same thing showing the same items at the same location.
And I think that's part of the problem people have with them. You almost must assume there is a complete lack of sincerity and they are doing it for the clicks and to stay in the good graces of Disney i.e. Free Stuff.

MurphyJoe

IMO, a future membership may include more than theme park admission or discounts. The Disney bundle membership would include Disney + along with discounts on theme parks, DCL, Aulani, ETC. It allows Disney to leverage all of their offerings and entice fans to engage in all aspects of the business.

Interesting idea. I wonder if Disney would consider providing a membership card which works for admission on either coast? Use the card for entry and Disney charges discounted gate admission to the card on file. Use the membership card to pay for dining and souvenirs in the park for dining and shopping discounts. Since Disney could roll the daily transactions into a limited number of card charges, it'd save Disney swipe and processing fees. Offer a few tiers with the more expensive tiers providing additional discounts and benefits.

DanielBB8

Have you ever considered that the vloggers try the foods and merchandise so you don't have to? Disney sells lots of foods and merchandise that you don't need. They taste them and the thrill is gone. If you see them for the first time, they are an impulse purchase. I might want something they had, but I put it off if I find something else I haven't seen. Justin Scarred had a funny scene where he tried to put away a themed popcorn container in his apartment. The cabinet barely fit it and he slammed the door several times. This is where your hard earned dollars go.

drizgirl

Have you ever considered that the vloggers try the foods and merchandise so you don't have to? Disney sells lots of foods and merchandise that you don't need. They taste them and the thrill is gone. If you see them for the first time, they are an impulse purchase. I might want something they had, but I put it off if I find something else I haven't seen. Justin Scarred had a funny scene where he tried to put away a themed popcorn container in his apartment. The cabinet barely fit it and he slammed the door several times. This is where your hard earned dollars go.
Maybe Disney will develop a "vlogger pass".

Seriously, I'm fine with doing my own taste testing.

CaptinEO

I don't need someone to try food for me. I also think if someone wants to try new food or a new ride or even walk into a store that it would be way more fun in person than watching an experience on video first.

I never spoiled rides or lands and am so glad I get to experience things blind.

DanielBB8

Maybe Disney will develop a "vlogger pass".

Seriously, I'm fine with doing my own taste testing.
You're willing to pay over $5 each. I'll pass. That's the point of not eating it. I don't mind seeing other people try it.
I'm sure most vloggers pay with their own funds via Patreon or YouTube. The exception is the premiere events are quite a spread. I envied the Star Wars premiere where Disney paid for everything.

DanielBB8

I don't need someone to try food for me. I also think if someone wants to try new food or a new ride or even walk into a store that it would be way more fun in person than watching an experience on video first.

I never spoiled rides or lands and am so glad I get to experience things blind.
Of course it's more fun, but it's a waste of time and money in most cases.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom