Disneyland and Disney World lay off 28,000 employees amid pandemic struggles - OCR/SCNG

TP2000

Travel junkie, I'm pretty sure people have been asking for TP to slit his wrists in support of universal income. Shame on him for not submitting to them.

Ohh..... Universal Income!

Why didn't I think of that?!? Of course this is what it's about. It's not about a "Living Wage", where I try to explain that I think a 19 year old churro hostess or a 18 year old busboy should be making about $16 or $17 an hour to live up to Disneyland's higher standards of grooming and behavior, and the crappy CM parking situation.

Living Wage is so 2014. Now in 2020 it's Universal Income.

It's about a "Universal Income" where we all just get free money from the government forever. Because the government can just give out free stuff forever. Just ask Venezuela, or Cuba, or the Soviet Union.

I hadn't even thought of that, but you're right. This is what @el_super is getting at, and why he's completely incapable of stating publicly what the hourly wage is that a churro hostess or a Tomorrowland Terrace busboy should receive.

Thank you for getting to the bottom of it, because I was honestly kind of flummoxed over why anyone can't just state clearly what the starting wages should be for entry-level Disneyland CM's.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Ohh..... Universal Income!

Why didn't I think of that?!? Of course this is what it's about. It's not about a "Living Wage", where I try to explain that I think a 19 year old churro hostess or a 18 year old busboy should be making about $16 or $17 an hour to live up to Disneyland's higher standards of grooming and behavior, and the crappy CM parking situation.

Living Wage is so 2014. Now in 2020 it's Universal Income.

It's about a "Universal Income" where we all just get free money from the government forever. Because the government can just give out free stuff forever. Just ask Venezuela, or Cuba, or the Soviet Union.

I hadn't even thought of that, but you're right. This is what @el_super is getting at, and why he's completely incapable of stating publicly what the hourly wage is that a churro hostess or a Tomorrowland Terrace busboy should receive.

Thank you for getting to the bottom of it, because I was honestly kind of flummoxed over why anyone can't just state clearly what the starting wages should be for entry-level Disneyland CM's.
In the age of Corona even some very staunch Republicans have come on-board to the idea of a Universal Income especially during times of crisis. So this is no longer some far left idea anymore, its become more a centrist idea as talk about income inequality become front and center during this pandemic.

While personally I don't know if I'm in-favor of the idea or not, its at least worth a serious discussion as we move this country forward out of the pandemic.

And it would clearly help a lot of Disney CMs not have to worry as much about the more simple things like housing.

TP2000

In the age of Corona even some very staunch Republicans have come on-board to the idea of a Universal Income especially during times of crisis. So this is no longer some far left idea anymore, its become more a centrist idea as talk about income inequality become front and center during this pandemic.

While personally I don't know if I'm in-favor of the idea or not, its at least worth a serious discussion as we move this country forward out of the pandemic.

And it would clearly help a lot of Disney CMs not have to worry as much about the more simple things like housing.

Well, I'm not a Republican. I'm a Decline To State guy. Ever since I voted for Perot in '92.

But if Republicans are now thinking that Universal Income is the wave of the future, I'm reminded why I'm Decline To State. Which Republicans are on board with Universal Income? I'd love to hear their arguments for it.

By the way, I would think unemployment insurance is how you handle 25,000 out of work Cast Members.

Universal Income is something else entirely, and has nothing to do with pandemics or tacky closed theme parks.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Well, I'm not a Republican. I'm a Decline To State guy.

But if Republicans are now thinking that Universal Income is the wave of the future, I'm reminded why I'm Decline To State. Which Republicans are on board with Universal Income? I'd love to hear their arguments for it.

By the way, I would think unemployment insurance is how you handle 25,000 out of work Cast Members.

Universal Income is something else entirely, and has nothing to do with pandemics or tacky closed theme parks.

Mitt Romney was one such Republican. And a lot more jumped on-board earlier this year for that $1000 check that a lot of Americans got (well I didn't but that is another story). And many were saying its not enough, that it should be more than a one time thing, which is only a small leap to Universal Income.

TP2000

Mitt Romney was one such Republican. And a lot more jumped on-board earlier this year for that $1000 check that a lot of Americans got (well I didn't but that is another story). And many were saying its not enough, that it should be more than a one time thing, which is only a small leap to Universal Income.

Oh, okay. That's not Universal Income.

Universal Income is the concept that people would receive regular checks, month after month, for the rest of their lives from the government.

Also, Mitt Romney is a dork. Actually he's worse than that, but there may be children present.

lazyboy97o

Milton Friedman proposed a sort of universal basic income as part of Nixon's plans to overhaul the welfare system. Friedrich Hayek made supportive comments. The FairTax, a national sales tax proposal, has a sort of universal basic income in its "prebate" scheme. It's actually an idea that has been circling amongst some libertarians for decades, the idea being that you replace the myriad welfare programs, a complicated tax code with loop holes and social engineering incentives, and the massive bureaucracy that administers all of that with a single payment.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Oh, okay. That's not Universal Income.

Universal Income is the concept that people would receive regular checks, month after month, for the rest of their lives from the government.

Also, Mitt Romney is a dork. Actually he's worse than that, but there may be children present.
I understand the concept of Universal Income, I know what was done earlier this year wasn't it. My point is that its no longer this far left concept, its become more centrist in the Age of Corona. Its a topic that is not going to go away especially in the light of income inequality discussions being a hotly debated topic.. And I suspect, my personal beliefs on the topic aside, that it'll gain more widespread support as time goes on.

As for Mitt, he is your more traditional Republican (at least compared to where the party has been the last 4+ years). So whether you personal believe him to be a dork (or some other name) is beside the point.

This topic is likely more political than we should have in the open forum.

TP2000

I understand the concept of Universal Income, I know what was done earlier this year wasn't it. My point is that its no longer this far left concept, its become more centrist in the Age of Corona.

The Age of Corona has about six months left. If someone wants to implement Universal Income for all Americans for the next 50 years, whether it's Mitt Romney or Bernie Sanders, they had better do it quickly. By February at the latest.

Otherwise, regular unemployment insurance should suffice until Disneyland reopens next summer.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The Age of Corona has about six months left. If someone wants to implement Universal Income for all Americans for the next 50 years, whether it's Mitt Romney or Bernie Sanders, they had better do it quickly. By February at the latest.

Otherwise, regular unemployment insurance should suffice until Disneyland reopens next summer.
No one is claiming its going to replace standard/extended UI in the next 3-6 months. I'm just saying its a discussion you're likely to hear more about over the course of the next couple years. Its something that will be part of the large income inequality discussion being had in this country.

Californian Elitist

Income inequality? Is that the idea that someone with a degree and years of work experience makes more than a high school churro cart employee?

I believe we can all agree that no one is suggesting that a high school student at an entry-level position should be making the exact same amount of money as someone who’s completed years of school and is settled into their career.

Speaking of churro cart employees, the ones at Disney parks should definitely be making more than minimum wage, considering the incredibly high standards Disney forces on their employees.

Californian Elitist

I can only hope so. Is there still a high demand of people wanting to work at Disneyland solely cause it's Disney? This can also have an effect on how much they pay.

I actually think so, yes. Based on my time there as a CM, it seems like many people are working there because they’re Disney fans. It was one of the reasons I started working there.

It wasn’t until I started noticing things when I realized that Disney sets the bar WAY too high for the amount of money they pay CMs.

el_super

I can only hope so. Is there still a high demand of people wanting to work at Disneyland solely cause it's Disney? This can also have an effect on how much they pay.

Yeah that's the question. Whether they will be able to convince enough people to come back and whether they will need to offer a more competitive wage to convince all those CMs that found work at the grocery store to come back.

Disorbust

Six months is wishful thinking. Our state heath said it will be fall 2021 before the vaccines are available to everyone. What are the economic ramifications for the next 3 months with evictions and foreclosures and a government that could give a dam?

Californian Elitist

Thanks for the insight on this. I agree their standards do seem way too high. I have a friend whos cash register was a dollar short and he was about to be fired and had to beg to keep his job.

I believe it. I was given a warning once for going to the nurse for a bloody thumb cut during my lunch break. They told me I would be written up if it happened again.

Disney makes billions per year, but one dollar missing is enough to fire someone. Ridiculous.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom