Disneyland 70th Anniversary

VJ

if Disney doesn't do anything it'd be the first anniversary year that ends in 0 since the 20th that wouldn't have a major celebration... though I could understand why with the 75th around the corner, it'd be an interesting precedent to set.

1965 - 10th: Disneyland Tencennial
1980 - 25th: Family Reunion
1985 - Disneyland 30th Year
1990 - 35th: Party Gras
1995 - 40 Years of Adventure
2000 - 45 Years of Magic
2005 - 50th: Happiest Homecoming on Earth
2015 - 60th: Disneyland Resort Diamond Celebration

waltography

if Disney doesn't do anything it'd be the first anniversary year that ends in 0 since the 20th that wouldn't have a major celebration... though I could understand why with the 75th around the corner, it'd be an interesting precedent to set.

2000 - 45 Years of Magic
This list reminded me of how it used to be that even off years felt like anniversaries at times; for example, I don't remember the Happiest Homecoming on Earth but I remember the Year of a Million Dreams promotion way more (granted, it acted as a way to extend the 50th, but still).

Nowadays the promotions are barely ad campaigns ("Magic is Here" and "Your Happiest Place on Earth" come to mind as the most recent duds).

waltography

I'd love for the 70th to be its own proper Platinum Jubilee, but I suspect that Disney will keep it a low-key year and do something like bring back Paint the Night (we can dream). It doesn't help that Disney's turning 100 next year, so if they were smarter with it they'd do some good old fashioned synergy.

75th is a much bigger landmark year anyway. They can host a Quarter Quell with all their CEOs in the Subs lagoon then!

Californian Elitist

Original Poster

2000 - 45 Years of Magic
This is why I have doubts that they’ll do anything big. The 75th is too close behind.

Disney Analyst

Wasn’t the 45th pretty big?

I could see them doing something similar to 45th for the 70th, and then I would expect a 50th/60th type celebration for 75th.

__r.jr

2000 - 45 Years of Magic

One cannot help but to reflect on what a massive, missed opportunity it was to not celebrate the 55th on a much higher grander scale. Given the significance of that number, if there was ever a unique, opportune time and excuse for a celebration, that should have been it.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

The management isn’t close to the same. I wonder if anyone else notices?
Are you talking about TDO vs TDA or the upper management being different since the 60th (I.e. Chapek and co)?

Either way I agree the 70th should be pretty quiet. New merch, yes. It’s possible there may be new fireworks show or entertainment maybe. Unless they try to tie Splash Mountain/Tiana to the 70th.

The other thing is I think the 70th of DL will get lost in the aftermath of larger 100 year celebration of the company which will likely run well through 2024.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Are you talking about TDO vs TDA or the upper management being different since the 60th (I.e. Chapek and co)?

Either way I agree the 70th should be pretty quiet. New merch, yes. It’s possible there may be new fireworks show or entertainment maybe. Unless they try to tie Splash Mountain/Tiana to the 70th.

The other thing is I think the 70th of DL will get lost in the aftermath of larger 100 year celebration of the company which will likely run well through 2024.
Upper

Spray tan Bob more or less mailed this type of thing in…
I bet dr evil is far worse.

Times have changed with only a couple of exceptions

D.Silentu

I imagine that they will likely announce whatever attraction they have decided to build at Avengers Campus at this D23. Three years later it will open just in time to be co-opted as a birthday present for the park in spite of the fact that it is not at the park.

Vegas Disney Fan

With Disneyland being such a locals resort I think they need to go big for celebrations to keep the crowds coming, WDW doesn’t have the same need to change things up as much because they are mostly tourists who visit infrequently.

I expect something similar to the 60th, new fireworks, an overlay somewhere… nothing crazy, just enough to market it as new and limited time.

TsWade2

I'm not going to expect a new parade or new show for the 70th. It might got cancelled due of the pandemic. Oh boy! I hope I'm not being to miserable!😢

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
With Disneyland being such a locals resort I think they need to go big for celebrations to keep the crowds coming, WDW doesn’t have the same need to change things up as much because they are mostly tourists who visit infrequently.
This is something that I hear a lot. I don’t think there’s much merit to this. This is an excuse that fans give when TDO doesn’t do nice things for their fans. Based on comments that I’ve seen on social media, WDW fans are starving for something both new and of quality. They complain more than we do.

It’s already been proven time and time again that Disneyland fans will flock to the parks, no matter if we get something new or not. DL fans, in general, don’t care about quality/getting new things. As long as the gates are open, they’ll be there.

Stevek

I think they will announce the expansion of Avengers Campus and my optimistic side thinks they'll announce the build outs of Disneyland and DCA (the Disneyland Forward project) that will be completed in time for the 75th.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom