Disney World's Segway Restriction Upsets Disabled

The Mom

Premium Member
Originally posted by barnum42
I think it was Pete McCarthy in his book “McCarthy’s Bar” who said Americans refuse to walk to anywhere that has a purpose (e.g. the shops or a restaurant) but stick them in a designer tracksuit and give them a couple of little weights to hold and they will walk around the block for hours because it’s “Exercise”. Bill Bryson noted the average American walks about one and a half miles a week. This includes walking to the car and back! Segway kind of proves this point.

For those who should still have the ability to walk, but have forgotten how to after years of taking the car for the shortest distance, instructions may be found in the Monty Python song “I’ve Got Two Legs”:

” Oh, I got two legs from my waist to the ground, and
When I move 'em they walk around, and
When I lift 'em they climb the stairs, and
When I shave 'em they ain't got hairs!”

It's not that they WON'T walk, but most important things aren't within walking distance (due to suburban sprawl) or the area isn't designed for walking. (No sidewalks, unfriendly pedestrian design at intersections, etc)

I'm fortunate that I was able to find a pedestrian friendly, relatively safe, older neighborhood with lots of shops, restaurants, parks, etc within walking distance. This is unusual in any neighborhood built after 1950. Many subdivisions don't even have sidewalks!!

People who live in NYC walk all of the time.
:lol:

barnum42

Originally posted by Testtrack321
No, it wasn't a battery failure, it was someone trying to go up something (a really big curb) and the Seg slipped. He fell. Frankly, ask anyone who has a Segway and they'll tell you it's not for going from the house to the car, but using it instead of the car to go places too far for walking, but too close for driving.

I'm curious - what sort of distance is that?

barnum42

Originally posted by The Mom
It's not that they WON'T walk, but most important things aren't within walking distance (due to suburban sprawl) or the area isn't designed for walking. (No sidewalks, unfriendly pedestrian design at intersections, etc)

I'm fortunate that I was able to find a pedestrian friendly, relatively safe, older neighborhood with lots of shops, restaurants, parks, etc within walking distance. This is unusual in any neighborhood built after 1950. Many subdivisions don't even have sidewalks!!

People who live in NYC walk all of the time.

The example McCarty started with was an American couple who refused to take the ten minute walk to an restaurant in Ireland and insisted the hotel call them a taxi. Reception just kept telling them "ah, but 'tis only a ten minute stoll"

My own experience in Ma. was one of amazement when people realised I had walked almost half a mile up the road to a store :eek:

barnum42

Heres another consideration - what do you do when you can't see the parade or show because someone on a segway has perched themselves in front of you?

TURKEY

I know a CM that had to get staples in his head because he fell off.

I know another CM that had to get stitches for falling off too.

tigsmom

Originally posted by barnum42
The example McCarty started with was an American couple who refused to take the ten minute walk to an restaurant in Ireland and insisted the hotel call them a taxi. Reception just kept telling them "ah, but 'tis only a ten minute stoll"

My own experience in Ma. was one of amazement when people realised I had walked almost half a mile up the road to a store :eek:

Where I live there are no sidewalks...you walk in the road & risk your life. We have no public mass transportation (bus). You can call a taxi (expensive). If you want to go to town you walk (as many teens do), beg a ride or drive yourself. Since I live in Commuter country & parking is scarce you can see many people (mostly men) walking to the bus & train early in the morning and again in the evening. You will see the elderly walking home from the grocery store. We have a beautiful park in the center of town that has a beautiful pathway around the 2 lakes. People can be seen walking there day & night in all kinds of weather. Its a great way to exercise & meet up with your neighbors.
One local Eagle Scout mapped the walk 4 different way & made beautiful markers as his project.

I think it is an injustice to paint everyone with one brush as Mr. McCarthy has done. Some people are definately spoiled and drive (or are driven) everywhere, but thats not true for all. :wave:

DonaldDuck

I don't agree with Disney's Segway policy at all!!!! I think it is just plain evil. :fork: I'm a fat guy, and my brother usually pushes me around town in a wheelbarrow. Is Disney going to tell me that this is not allowed too!?!?! How about my friends? One of them has a little trouble walking, so he rides his horse around everywhere. Sure, it looks a little odd, but that's how he gets around. Is he excluded from Disney's fascist "world" as well?!?!? :mad:

:animwink: :p :animwink: :p
Just Kidding!!!!
Trying to add more fun to this thread.

barnum42

Originally posted by tigsmom
I think it is an injustice to paint everyone with one brush as Mr. McCarthy has done. Some people are definately spoiled and drive (or are driven) everywhere, but thats not true for all. :wave:

It's a light hearted book and not intended to tar all in one stroke. That would be like calling all my fellow Britons drunken lager louts. Whilst it's true a depressingly large number are, there are many who are not.

The humour of the verse is lost if you have to put footnotes everywhere saying "This is not the case for everyone from this region, but is certainly true of a substantial ammont, though not enough to justify saying it is true for everyone in this nation/ race / hair colour / male or female, furthermore......." :lol:

Give it a read, it's a fun book.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom