Disney World's Segway Restriction Upsets Disabled

niteobsrvr

tigsmom

Originally posted by CSOM
[B
I'm not prepared to let a corporate attorney dictate to me how I should be mobile," said Exum, who is technically quadriplegic from an injury as a teenager but functions as a paraplegic.

[/B]

I have a slight problem with this. How can one be a quadriplegic but function as a paraplegic?
These conditions result from spinal cord injuries at different levels. I have been a nurse for almost 30 years and have taken care of many people with these kinds of injuries...the two are not interchangeable.

Quadriplegia: the inability to move all four limbs or the entire body below the neck.

Paraplegia: total inability to move both legs and usually the lower part of the trunk.

I just don't get it. :veryconfu

Bimmy56

I was so happy to read this thread. When I read the original story on Yahoo, I was appalled at the idea of visitors on segways in such a congested park, but thought that maybe I was being insensitive. I'd hate to think of the problems of a segway on a bus or monorail. A few years ago I was on an airport monorail (O'Hare) and a group of women brought on one of those big rental luggage carts filled with their luggage, ignoring the signs forbidding it. Once the monorail got going, the women could not control the cart, it took everyone in the car to hold it down. yikes!

TomDisney

Originally posted by Pixie Duster
Can you honestly imagine the walkways of WDW being occupied by both regular pedestrians and guests on segways?

Can it be worse than the walkways of the Magic Kingdom with regular pedestrians and strollers!!! :lol: :hammer: :lol:

vhsshoulddie

Its just a nother way lazy people cant get around without using the gifts that the good lord has given them. Its funny most people who walk around the park all day get exausted from standing and walking. But using a sit down scooter saves you from that. But some people who want to use the segways say its easier for them to move and wont hurt from cramping up from sitting down. Just stop complaing and looking for sympathy. I have my own problems.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Original Poster
Originally posted by vhsshoulddie
Its just a nother way lazy people cant get around without using the gifts that the good lord has given them. Its funny most people who walk around the park all day get exausted from standing and walking. But using a sit down scooter saves you from that. But some people who want to use the segways say its easier for them to move and wont hurt from cramping up from sitting down. Just stop complaing and looking for sympathy. I have my own problems.

shocked.gif

bigok.gif

caparamedic

Pretty soon, for about 80 bucks, plus the price of admission to the park, you will be able to ride a Segway around World Showcase prior to the park opening. Have fun!!

barnum42

I think it was Pete McCarthy in his book “McCarthy’s Bar” who said Americans refuse to walk to anywhere that has a purpose (e.g. the shops or a restaurant) but stick them in a designer tracksuit and give them a couple of little weights to hold and they will walk around the block for hours because it’s “Exercise”. Bill Bryson noted the average American walks about one and a half miles a week. This includes walking to the car and back! Segway kind of proves this point.

For those who should still have the ability to walk, but have forgotten how to after years of taking the car for the shortest distance, instructions may be found in the Monty Python song “I’ve Got Two Legs”:

” Oh, I got two legs from my waist to the ground, and
When I move 'em they walk around, and
When I lift 'em they climb the stairs, and
When I shave 'em they ain't got hairs!”

:lol:

pepsistar

:D Ohhhhhhhhh Myyyyyyyyyyyy I can not imagine-- Scary!!! All of those things coming at you! OR behind you!! Can you picture what would happen when people got ready for the parades/fireworks! Oh-- or when they all wanted to leave at the same time???

However, I do agree it is really a great addition for the CM'S while working, and I would love to have a chance to try one-- But the thought of them being allowed in the parks for the general public, like I said is very, very scary!! :lookaroun :eek:

caparamedic

Not that a Segway can really hurt anyone because they stop as soon as they hit something and easily roll over feet (it doesn't hurt), but .......

When you see as many people run down by those "convenience vehicles" (electric wheelchairs) and regular wheelchairs and strollers you can understand why Disney is a bit reluctant to allow Segways. We are lucky to be allowed to drive our "mini-ambulance" golf carts in the park!!

TURKEY

Originally posted by caparamedic
Not that a Segway can really hurt anyone because they stop as soon as they hit something and easily roll over feet (it doesn't hurt), but .......

When you see as many people run down by those "convenience vehicles" (electric wheelchairs) and regular wheelchairs and strollers you can understand why Disney is a bit reluctant to allow Segways. We are lucky to be allowed to drive our "mini-ambulance" golf carts in the park!!

The Segway that ran over my foot hurt. Not for long, but it did hurt.

LadyDarling

Hate to point out the obvious, but doesn't anyway remember last year when they had a battery malfunction and the things just STOPPED DEAD, throwing the riders? This is probably a reason WHY they ARE NOT approved as mode of transportation for the handicapped. Yes - getting run over or run into would be an unpleasant expirence, but they are machines and they are flawed. If a CM is riding around and the machine froze up, they'd be throw off and could injure themselves - it would be work comp. But imagine a handicapped person having an "accident" in the park and falling off! I can see the law suits ROLLING in.

Electric chairs, while not as comfortable, are far safer for the handicap population.
~J.Darling

Testtrack321

No, it wasn't a battery failure, it was someone trying to go up something (a really big curb) and the Seg slipped. He fell. Frankly, ask anyone who has a Segway and they'll tell you it's not for going from the house to the car, but using it instead of the car to go places too far for walking, but too close for driving.

LadyDarling

Um... I don't think they would have recalled them if it was just simply that. The problem was they were stopping dead without warning.
~Jay

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom