Disney World's Segway Restriction Upsets Disabled

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Original Poster
from WESH (NBC-TV)

Disney World's Segway Restriction Upsets Disabled
Spokeswoman: FDA Hasn't Approved Segways

ORLANDO, Fla. -- People with disabilities who use Segways to get around are upset they can't bring the self-balancing transportation devices into the theme parks at Walt Disney World.

Some people are very surprised at the policy, especially since Disney has a reputation for accommodating the disabled, and since Disney employees use Segways at the parks.

But a spokeswoman says Disney World doesn't allow the Segways into the parks because they haven't been approved by the Food and Drug Administration as medical devices.

Disney World isn't the only place to restrict the use of Segways.

They're also prohibited at Disney's California parks -- Disneyland and California Adventure. Sea World Orlando says it doesn't allow them for safety reasons and San Francisco last year outlawed them on its sidewalks.

Orlando's other major theme park resort, Universal Orlando, doesn't have a policy on Segways.

Moustronaut

Hmmmmm, might be stiring the pot here but....

DUH!

Segway's are alternative modes of transportation, not powered devices used to assist the mobility of those who can not do so under their own power.

WDW shouldn't allow these in from the general public any more than they should bicycles, mopeds, golf carts, ATV's or anyother wheeled vehicle.

Testtrack321

This is just another atempt at a blow at Disney. It's obvious here, sure, you can use Segways, bikes, or even mopeds as a device to help the disabled, but they arn't approved by the FDA. Plus, imagine the liability problems with privately owned Segways on WDW Parks.

Wilt Dasney

Notice the station doesn't quote anyone who claims to be put out by this. Looks a lot like a space-filler report to eat up airtime and start controversy to me.

PhotoDave219

Sounds like it to me. Of course, i nearly had a mangager from Epcot knock into my Tripod on his segway, so that's another story. Can you imagine the lawsuits Disney would have on their hands if they allowed Segways into the parks without them being considered medical devices ala those ECVs?

bluesnut

Originally posted by Testtrack321
This is just another atempt at a blow at Disney. It's obvious here, sure, you can use Segways, bikes, or even mopeds as a device to help the disabled, but they arn't approved by the FDA. Plus, imagine the liability problems with privately owned Segways on WDW Parks.

Please accept my condolences Testtrack321. I am very sorry for your loss. :(

And I agree DUH!!

niteobsrvr

Originally posted by DDPGambit
What person would be upset over this? You mean to tell me that there are people who actually rely on Segways?

While Segways are wonderful devices they do have their drawbacks. First and foremost is they can't be sufficiently tied down in a bus. Ranging in weight from 70 to 95 lbs, these things can become serious projectiles in the event of a quick stop. They also must still be kept out of the aisle on the bus which means the rider cannot remain on them on board. Thus the problem with transportation and segways. Also, if you arent physically capable to navigate the parks without assistance then it can reasonably be assumed that many of the folks who use segways in this manner are also not capable of holding onto the device while traveling to and fro on a bus, monorail or boat.

The people driving the ECV's who have no idea how to control them are bad enough. Can you imagine the learning curve for rental segways?

As to the quote above, I had the unfortunate opportunity to be either the first or one of the first few bus drivers to be confronted with one. The man become highly upset when informed they weren't Disability approved and therefore not allowed on the bus. Fortunately, I let a manager handle it.

BeachClub

Like we dont have it bad enough with the over-anxious ankle bashers known as stroller, we have to look out for Segways?!!!

:mad:

bartman454

I can tell you one thing from my experiences at working MGM's Super Soap Weekend and that is I would rather have a bunch of segways after me then ECV'S:) For now it seems Segways are still very much in the minor when it comes to disabled people using them so expect Disney to follow their current policy until it becomes part of the majority.

barnum42

I’ve never ridden a Segway (I spend most of my work day static without being static when going from A to B). But doesn’t it rely on your standing up and shifting bodyweight around? Something I would guess many a disabled person would not find too easy for a whole day.

My Mother made use of a wheelchair on our last visit. She can still walk, but due to osteoarthritis she has a severely limited range – this includes just standing up. Her wheelchair was fitted with a unique device to power it that Disney did not object to – me!

I am afraid that I dont understand. How can a disabled person use a segway if their disability has to do with walking? You have to stand to control a Segway. I would imagine standing for 5 hours at a time isn't a that great a thing for a truly disabled guest.

Dean[AU]

since Disney employees use Segways at the parks
segway.jpg

Creekboy25

Originally posted by OnWithTheShow
I am afraid that I dont understand. How can a disabled person use a segway if their disability has to do with walking? You have to stand to control a Segway. I would imagine standing for 5 hours at a time isn't a that great a thing for a truly disabled guest.

I was thinking the same thing.

Testtrack321

Well, when they mean disablity, they mean more people who can't walk well, but can stand fine. I know someone like this from another board who has bad joints in her knees, or something like that, and can't walk a lot, but it's OK for her to stand.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom