Disney World's intern program

Dragonrider1227

Original Poster
I understand Disney has an intern program in WDW and am curious to learn more about it. Do they have a website about it?

ImaYoyo

There's the college program - http://www.wdwcollegeprogram.com
And the professional internship program - http://disney.go.com/disneycareers/internships/home.html

Both are considered "internships" ... although the college program really isn't.
And what about the college program is not an internship? On my college program, I got 6 credits at UNC, made multiple contacts, networked with some amazing people, and secured my permanent position that led me to where I am now, AND got paid (which is something many internships don't do). Sounds a lot better than my college roommate's internship at Goodyear in finance being a gopher-boy, making no money.

The college program is what you make of it. The opportunities are there, but you are the one responsible for reaching out and grabbing them. They're not going to come to you on a silver platter. But there are some incredible opportunities to be had.

Chape19714

One big Differance is that the Professional Internship program does require your own form of transportation to and from work. It's a great way to get into the Guest Relations department, if you are given the chance.

And what about the college program is not an internship?

I think they specifically don't call it an internship because of the fact that they don't try to put you in a job that matches what you are studying. To call it a real internship, the job should correspond to your studies. At least that's what I was told to say by the representative in charge of us when I was a campus rep.

I think they specifically don't call it an internship because of the fact that they don't try to put you in a job that matches what you are studying. To call it a real internship, the job should correspond to your studies. At least that's what I was told to say by the representative in charge of us when I was a campus rep.

Exactly. CP jobs have nothing to do with your field of study. And I don't see why a school would give credit for it, unless you are taking classes.

PlutoInOrlando

In the Parks
Yes
Exactly. CP jobs have nothing to do with your field of study. And I don't see why a school would give credit for it, unless you are taking classes.

But you do take classes while you are there - well OK - at least you did when I did it back in 1994 ( I know I know - things have changed).

But we had 10 weeks of classes that were MUST attends (or you didn't get your Duckter's Degree or your Mousesters). I missed one class to go to the "testing" of Alien Encounter - SO WORTH IT - so I only got my Mouseters - but I have one! :sohappy:

TheBeatles

The college program is primarily work. I was considering doing it, except making up the credits I would miss while doing the CP did not sound appealing to me. It seemed like a lot of time + money and those are two things I can't spare at this point in my life.

I had a friend who did it (and loved it) and she said they offer classes, but they would be hard to take with all of the work hours they schedule you.

Of course, this is only my experience.

pluto77

The representatives at my college did call it an internship (and that's how it was advertised), and if you look at the college program website they call it a paid internship. You have to be in college to do it, that's what makes it an internship. :)

My community college gave me 3 business credits for it, but they didn't transfer over to my university. I do know of one person when I was down there who was actually getting 15 credits for it (he also had to take a couple of the classes down there, but still).

Some of the PI's require you to have done the college program first, so just keep that in mind when you're looking. :)

Jesùs_Carioca

What slightly irks me is that a multitude of the professional internships require at least one semester's experience through the Disney College program. Not all of them of course, but specifically the ones that are of importance to me (Advertising/Public Relations).

What I'm really curious about is if I could "override" the necessity to take the pre-requisite of the College Program (since I'm not sure myself if i can endanger a semester of my school year, let alone two when I go back for the professional internship) and still take part in the professional internship.

For example, if I'd just become a Cast Member at Walt Disney World, could it count as the equivalence for the college program? Or even better, if I'd do a professional internship in a broader field of my study, such as just general communications, could that override the need for the CP?

This question's always been bogging me... and my girlfriend, respectively, haha.

coasterphil

No real way to override that requirement. The only one I know of is for students here at my school that are active CMs as we don't have the ability to participate in the CP.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom