Disney World Workers Among 22 Nabbed in Child-Sex Sting

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrumpyFan

I wish Disney would start pushing back on these news articles. If it didn't happen on their property then it's really not pertinent to the story that they worked for Disney.

Agreed, but how would you propose they do that? Just a mention of something happening within the area of Disney gives many a news editor/manager the inspiration that they can add their name to help generate more views. Their PR people may have said something about it already, if not though, they could do a lot of good by coming out with a statement just saying something like "they're fully cooperating with officials and want noting less than to see justice served to protect innocent lives".

Obi

Agreed, but how would you propose they do that? Just a mention of something happening within the area of Disney gives many a news editor/manager the inspiration that they can add their name to help generate more views. Their PR people may have said something about it already, if not though, they could do a lot of good by coming out with a statement just saying something like "they're fully cooperating with officials and want noting less than to see justice served to protect innocent lives".

also agree. i do have mixed emotions about this... on one hand it didn't happen on disney property, so disney really didn't need to be mentioned...

however, the issue of sexual abuse isn't a small thing. it's a global epidemic. i know many will have a hard time understanding and/or believing it, but it's the truth. it is an issue of epidemic proportions and the biggest reason for that is because people don't want to talk about it. keep it under the rug. that is what keeps the problem going and growing...

now, disney being the size that they are could take a stand and say that they deeply regret any person, adult or child being sexually abused and even more regret to hear that some of their employees were among some of the people caught in the sting. therefore they will now lead the charge in protecting as many children, and adults, as possible by taking an active role in getting the truth/facts out there, by hiring people with the info to help in their interview process, as well as instructing the employees they do have in what to look for among the people that do come to wdw as well as their fellow employees. by doing so, they can help put a huge dent in ending sexual abuse altogether.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Every time Disney is mentioned in one of these when they are not directly involved should be answered with a lawsuit against the news source. That would be an excellent start.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Oh please ... the fact they work for Disney is quite pertinent. Disney attracts millions of kids to the Florida swamps annually ... it also attracts a great deal of pedophiles.

It's great to see fans worried about Disney's sterling image, though. ... insanity.
Could really care less if it's Disney, Uni, or The Salvation Army. If it didn't happen on Disney property, then adding the name of the employer of the pervert to the story really adds no value.

lazyboy97o

Could really care less if it's Disney, Uni, or The Salvation Army. If it didn't happen on Disney property, then adding the name of the employer of the pervert to the story really adds no value.
Except to inform people. They could just not report the story at all...

WDW1974

Sorry, but you are wrong. Just as wrong if the perps were religious leaders, teachers, coaches etc ... these folks had much greater access to children because they worked at WDW.

No one is accusing Disney of anything other than attracting children.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward

I totally agree it doesn't pertain to the story but it is not illegal to print that fact. It's all about getting people to read/click on the article. And Disney and a child sexual abuse charges in a headline will do that.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I would not like it but if it's the truth it's not illegal to print it.
The commonly used definition of libel indicates that it involves a false statement, but if you look at the complete definition it includes "a written or oral defamatory statement or representation that conveys an unjustly unfavorable impression. "..."A statement or representation published without just cause and tending to expose another to public contempt. "

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I totally agree it doesn't pertain to the story but it is not illegal to print that fact. It's all about getting people to read/click on the article. And Disney and a child sexual abuse charges in a headline will do that.
And that's the problem I see with it and so much more..... Sensationalism to increase views and followers. Can't just report the pertinent facts, the story has to be dramatized in order to attract attention.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
And that's the problem I see with it and so much more..... Sensationalism to increase views and followers. Can't just report the pertinent facts, the story has to be dramatized in order to attract attention.
The news business is a business they need to make money to survive. They sell ads based on viewers/readers. Not saying it's right but it they way it has always been.

TheRabbit

Puts a smile on my face to see people debate about Disney, pedophiles, sex...ahh.....what a great day! It's so much more entertaining to read than about that silly new dock they are building. LOL

alissafalco

The location of where these low lives work is VERY pertinent to the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom