Disney World unfairly slammed for wages.

jt04

I guess we'll just have to disagree then, because it seems we live on different planets.

I get your mentality, I just don't agree with it. You are talking about employees like they are children or sheep, not actual people.

Crap pay keeps great employees from being able to work there. "Go get a job elsewhere if you want more money!" is exactly what they've done, which leaves us with the CP-temp-employee fest we have now, and lower quality of workers.

I'm a darn good worker, and in the job I was offered at WDW I would have excelled. However, I am doing the same job elsewhere and STARTING PAY was twice as much as what Disney was offering. I'm now making substantially more than that. I work for a company that pays well and expects a lot - and has great promotion tracks. Nothing like that can be said about how Disney is run right now. That's why "quality" employees like myself are becoming more scarce.

The "everyone should just get a job elsewhere if they don't like it" mentality is, as I said, exactly what has happened and is continuing to happen. And that's why you see so many complaints about how the overall level of quality CM's has gone down so far.

Not exactly. You had better go into an entry level job at Disney with your eyes wide open and a very adult atitude if you plan a long term career. A pollyanna outlook or immature mindset is risky. I'm very much talking to people as adults.

Disney has NEVER paid entry level CMs well. Never will. Yet they were so much more committed back in the day. It has nothing to do with pay scales. It has everything to do with the cancer of an entitlement society.

Just speaking truth to power.

PS- Most front line cast members are still awesome! :wave: But for 95% the job is a transitionary one. As it should be.

raven

leave the union gossip out of it, if it weren't for the union, a lot of good CM's would be gone due to unjust discipline...

Will

Well my union tends to not stand up and actually fight for you unless it's worth their time. And they fight more for a certain nationality of CMs more than the others. So no, unions aren't always doing the best they can. They seem to want your money more than anything. Just my observation.

Phonedave

Well my union tends to not stand up and actually fight for you unless it's worth their time. And they fight more for a certain nationality of CMs more than the others. So no, unions aren't always doing the best they can. They seem to want your money more than anything. Just my observation.

I have been in 2 separate unions (United Food and Commercial Workers and State of New York Employees Association) I have also been in an entirely non-union shop, and I have also been Non-union Management supervising Union labor.

My opinion is that unions allow all workers to reach the same level of mediocrity. they protect those who slack off under the guise of protecting them from "the bosses" and vilify those who do try to do a good job as "drinking the management kool-aid" while doing nothing for those who are legitimately being given the short end of the stick by their bosses. Their sole goal is to keep as many employees on the payroll as possible, because each employee means an addition union dues payment.

There may be some unions out there that work with management to arrive at a productive, well paid, happy workforce that is a benefit to all parties involved, but I have yet to see one

-dave

Optimus Mouse

While this is off-topic to the thread, it fits with the current tangent we've gone off on. I've spent my entire working career in South Florida, and my contact with unionized workers and union shops has been fairly limited. However, I have recently had to conduct a fair amount of business in the Chicago area, and the layers of complication and unnecessary expense added by having to deal with a unionized workforce is ungodly.

For what it's worth, the troubles we have encountered with the union shops up there are making us seriously consider backing out of the agreement we currently have, paying the nearly $100,000 buyout this would cause, and never conducting business in Chicago again.

Griffin

Those wages are very low. I am in a poor paying job as well. I guess that's why the richer gets richer, and the poor gets poorer...

Wbnemo1

gotta keep in mind the union is only as strong as it's members, again sorry you had trouble, but two things you should bear in mind. One, the shop stewards try to do the best they can with what they've got to work with, ie your Statement... we bust our butts, at least our area does anyway. If you aren't happy with your steward, you have the right to get another. Also, the union can not protect or help seasonal or college programmers, unfortuntely. If you get yourself in a jam over something you did wrong, we try and help ya if at all possible, but you got to be honest and not cut and run and give up when you decide to file a grievance. plus, if you have an issue, you need to stand behind it, not complain and do nothing........
Now if you aren't a union member, then stop your squabble and join up, become a shop steward and make the difference yourself...one of you stated you've been with the company many years, define many and were you in attractions?

Cheers,
Will

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom