Disney World unfairly slammed for wages.

CaptainJackNO

You know.....this is a BIG problem with things like freebies, parties, bonuses, contributions to 401ks, etc. They are not part of your pay, they are not part of your job description, they are something additional that a company is paying for that you should not expect or feel owed. You should feel happy when they do something like that, even if it's rare, not be upset because they never offer them. Be happy that you get "free Rice Crispy Treats!"

They really should make economics and business courses required in high school and college instead of electives. :brick:

Okay, I am a conservative and I'll take this one up. Disney used to offer free unlimited admission for cast members and family. That was a great perk. Now, you argue that cast members are not owed that, and I agree; however, when you are only paying minimum wage and expecting the MOST out of your cast members, little perks can go a long way. I have no problem with Disney and their pay structure because I, also, believe you have the ability to work where you choose in this country. But, what does it really cost WDW by allowing unlimited cast member and family admission? Nothing. Sure, you may place a bit of a strain on lines. However, when cast members are in park, they will probably buy food and drinks, as well as their family may, too.
Walt ran a family run environment. These managers should take notice. When you are paying just above the minimum, there is nothing wrong with offering perks to boost morale and comraderie. Never underestimate the importance of morale, ESPECIALLY when you want cast members smiling and being cordial. A happy employee is a good employee. Walt knew this.

AEfx

Why would anyone want to take an entry level Disney job when there are much better ones available?
The winner: Disney's bottom line.
The losers: The employees and the guests.

I don't always agree with you, Lee, but I have to say this entire post is exactly how I feel as well.

We pay a premium to go to Disney because it's the premiere theme park experience. By paying people such low wages, and depending so much on temporary labor (i.e. the CP) they are drastically reducing the guest experience. It's much more rare to find a veteran CM these days, which I truly miss.

A couple of years ago I was ready to pick up and move to Orlando, interviewed and was offered a job, etc. for Disney (not in the parks, in an office) and I just couldn't do it at the wages they offer. There is no way I could have paid for an apartment, rent, etc. on a monthly basis on what they were paying, and I'm WAYYYYY too old to go back to roommate situations.

If you want to retain quality employees, you have to pay them well. Disney pays dirt cheap wages, and I think many would agree that the perceived quality of CM's has gone down and I fail to see how one could ignore that connection.

peter11435

Okay, I am a conservative and I'll take this one up. Disney used to offer free unlimited admission for cast members and family. That was a great perk. Now, you argue that cast members are not owed that, and I agree; however, when you are only paying minimum wage and expecting the MOST out of your cast members, little perks can go a long way. I have no problem with Disney and their pay structure because I, also, believe you have the ability to work where you choose in this country. But, what does it really cost WDW by allowing unlimited cast member and family admission? Nothing. Sure, you may place a bit of a strain on lines. However, when cast members are in park, they will probably buy food and drinks, as well as their family may, too.
Walt ran a family run environment. These managers should take notice. When you are paying just above the minimum, there is nothing wrong with offering perks to boost morale and comraderie. Never underestimate the importance of morale, ESPECIALLY when you want cast members smiling and being cordial. A happy employee is a good employee. Walt knew this.

Cast Members still have unlimited admission for themselves and can bring their families in for a total of 16 days a year. They also recieve 4 comp tickets per year.

jt04

I don't always agree with you, Lee, but I have to say this entire post is exactly how I feel as well.

We pay a premium to go to Disney because it's the premiere theme park experience. By paying people such low wages, and depending so much on temporary labor (i.e. the CP) they are drastically reducing the guest experience. It's much more rare to find a veteran CM these days, which I truly miss.

A couple of years ago I was ready to pick up and move to Orlando, interviewed and was offered a job, etc. for Disney (not in the parks, in an office) and I just couldn't do it at the wages they offer. There is no way I could have paid for an apartment, rent, etc. on a monthly basis on what they were paying, and I'm WAYYYYY too old to go back to roommate situations.

If you want to retain quality employees, you have to pay them well. Disney pays dirt cheap wages, and I think many would agree that the perceived quality of CM's has gone down and I fail to see how one could ignore that connection.

The quality of the CM's has little to nothing to do with wages. In fact it is just the opposite. When people internalize the mentality that being disgruntled and a poor employee can be used as leverage for higher wages than those same employess will perpetually be disgruntled because that is how they got rewarded. Talk about a slippery slope.

HOWEVER, if an employee earns greater rewards through promotions based on HARD WORK and MERIT, then everyone wins. Guests get caring CM's, management gets motivated employess and investors get better return on their investments.

It ain't rocket science. If anyone out there can't grasp this then your educators are ripping you off and THAT is what follks should be unhappy about.

:wave:

s8film40

The quality of the CM's has little to nothing to do with wages. In fact it is just the opposite. When people internalize the mentality that being disgruntled and a poor employee can be used as leverage for higher wages than those same employess will perpetually be disgruntled because that is how they got rewarded. Talk about a slippery slope.

HOWEVER, if an employee earns greater rewards through promotions based on HARD WORK and MERIT, then everyone wins. Guests get caring CM's, management gets motivated employess and investors get better return on their investments.

It ain't rocket science. If anyone out there can't grasp this then your educators are ripping you off and THAT is what follks should be unhappy about.

:wave:

Well, I've made the suggestion many times to many people who would be really great Disney employee's and way more often than not when they realize what the pay is they just can't do it. There are a lot of people out there who would love to work for Disney and for all the right reasons, they just simply can't take the pay cut.

Disney is very heavily union based this means merit and hard work do not apply when considering rewards and promotions, that is except for the type of promotions that would remove them from heavy contact with guests. Employees are paid based on how long they're able to stick it out, only creating more disgruntled employees, because after 5-10 years they hate their job but make just enough that they can't afford to move onto something else.

jt04

Well, I've made the suggestion many times to many people who would be really great Disney employee's and way more often than not when they realize what the pay is they just can't do it. There are a lot of people out there who would love to work for Disney and for all the right reasons, they just simply can't take the pay cut.

Disney is very heavily union based this means merit and hard work do not apply when considering rewards and promotions, that is except for the type of promotions that would remove them from heavy contact with guests. Employees are paid based on how long they're able to stick it out, only creating more disgruntled employees, because after 5-10 years they hate their job but make just enough that they can't afford to move onto something else.

It would be tough to find yourself in that situation. I wish folks were better educated in understanding that the only way to ensure achievement is to be responsible for it. There can still be John Lasseter success stories but not without a lot of sacrafice and honest self-evaluation. If someone has been a CM for 10 years and is not advancing then a change in strategy (or career path) is in order. Unless being a CM is the goial.

s8film40

It would be tough to find yourself in that situation. I wish folks were better educated in understanding that the only way to ensure achievement is to be responsible for it. There can still be John Lasseter success stories but not without a lot of sacrafice and honest self-evaluation. If someone has been a CM for 10 years and is not advancing then a change in strategy (or career path) is in order. Unless being a CM is the goial.

Yeah it's unfortunate but Disney attracts a lot of these type of people with their easy no questions asked hiring method, and then these people really may have nowhere else to turn. It's not to say that that is Disney's fault, just an unfortunate side effect to the low pay rate.

jt04

Yeah it's unfortunate but Disney attracts a lot of these type of people with their easy no questions asked hiring method, and then these people really may have nowhere else to turn. It's not to say that that is Disney's fault, just an unfortunate side effect to the low pay rate.

For the most part, unless you are a college educated professional, you are likely a contractor or entry level employee at Disney. Disney will always offer more entry level jobs as it's just the nature of the business. To change that formula will only ruin the success story Disney parks have been. I know for sure that I will not ever pay the ticket prices it would take so that entry level workers are paid what a professional or skilled craftsman makes. Ain't happening. The entire business model would collapse. I have a feeling this is going to happen to many businesses over the next few years as they are forced to adopt impossible business models. But the foolhardy utopians have the reigns so prepare. It is the 1970's again until we suffer through another generation having to learn the lessons of real life.

There is no free lunch unless it's a soup line.:hurl:

s8film40

For the most part, unless you are a college educated professional, you are likely a contractor or entry level employee at Disney. Disney will always offer more entry level jobs as it's just the nature of the business. To change that formula will only ruin the success story Disney parks have been. I know for sure that I will not ever pay the ticket prices it would take so that entry level workers are paid what a professional or skilled craftsman makes. Ain't happening. The entire business model would collapse. I have a feeling this is going to happen to many businesses over the next few years as they are forced to adopt impossible business models. But the foolhardy utopians have the reigns so prepare. It is the 1970's again until we suffer through another generation having to learn the lessons of real life.

There is no free lunch unless it's a soup line.:hurl:

I think they could change their pay structure to a point where it would create a much better work force and all without spending more money.

The problem is and the reason it won't happen is the unions. The unions force a pay structure that even in their own words is intended to foster a career in a low paying job. The idea is you start out close to minimum wage, but this is OK because you supposedly have good benefits. The truth is this is the first reason people feel trapped in both their job and their union. Then after about 5 years you start making a reasonable amount and the job isn't that bad and nothing else has a starting pay quite as high so they stay. Then after about 10 years their really making a lot more than what is reasonable for the job somewhere in the $15 an hour range plus with ten years of seniority many of these people know how to work the overtime so in some cases making up to $30 an hour. Now with that pay rate it makes it even more difficult to move on after all now they have 10 or more years of theme park experience what will that get them.

I think Disney could end seniority based pay and raise their starting pay to around $10-$12 an hour and still come out about the same with their labor budget. That difference would be huge both in morale and the experience for the guests. It would probably never happen though.

raven

The problem is and the reason it won't happen is the unions. The unions force a pay structure that even in their own words is intended to foster a career in a low paying job. The idea is you start out close to minimum wage, but this is OK because you supposedly have good benefits. The truth is this is the first reason people feel trapped in both their job and their union.

Yes. One problem is the union. Currently my union collects $426/year in dues from my paycheck. When I have an issue with something and go to a shop steward they don't want to listen. Then you try and get out of it and they tell you that you can only do it on your anniversary date of your hire, which a little phone call from a lawyer can solve for you.

But look at another example of crazy guest cost versus employee wages: To get a character at your wedding on property is $1,000 or more per hour (I'm sure by now it's much more now). That character gets $9.00 per hour. Where does the rest of the money go toward? I'm not saying the actor should get a bulk of that change but who is getting it and for what reason?

disneyrcks

I am torn on the issue of unions. I am in one and it costs me $600 per year but at the same time they do a great job of negotiating our contracts (as much as they can being we are a non profit company). They do not do anything as far as assisting employees with management issues. I am actually surprised to learn that Disney employees are unionized and that they still make such a wage. As far as a character appearing at a wedding...I think they should make a percentage of the cost. It could be an offered perk for seniority employees

zjer

Disney has become out of touch. They believe the cast member needs them more than they need the cast member. This is very similar to the WalMart family and as long as this is the mentality, wages will stay low.

Capatilism now justifies low wages in exchange for "customer value" and "shareholder expectations."

The best way to see if it is getting out of hand is comparing the ratio of worker to CEO now vs. 20 years ago.

Just my opinion of course.

jt04

Yes. One problem is the union. Currently my union collects $426/year in dues from my paycheck. When I have an issue with something and go to a shop steward they don't want to listen. Then you try and get out of it and they tell you that you can only do it on your anniversary date of your hire, which a little phone call from a lawyer can solve for you.

But look at another example of crazy guest cost versus employee wages: To get a character at your wedding on property is $1,000 or more per hour (I'm sure by now it's much more now). That character gets $9.00 per hour. Where does the rest of the money go toward? I'm not saying the actor should get a bulk of that change but who is getting it and for what reason?

Unfortunately there dosen't seem to be too many easy answers. Sometimes it seems unions only serve the purpose of keeping employees in line for management. It's like having two masters. Which is why I have never wanted to belong to one. Just my opinion.

AEfx

I guess we'll just have to disagree then, because it seems we live on different planets.

I get your mentality, I just don't agree with it. You are talking about employees like they are children or sheep, not actual people.

Crap pay keeps great employees from being able to work there. "Go get a job elsewhere if you want more money!" is exactly what they've done, which leaves us with the CP-temp-employee fest we have now, and lower quality of workers.

I'm a darn good worker, and in the job I was offered at WDW I would have excelled. However, I am doing the same job elsewhere and STARTING PAY was twice as much as what Disney was offering. I'm now making substantially more than that. I work for a company that pays well and expects a lot - and has great promotion tracks. Nothing like that can be said about how Disney is run right now. That's why "quality" employees like myself are becoming more scarce.

The "everyone should just get a job elsewhere if they don't like it" mentality is, as I said, exactly what has happened and is continuing to happen. And that's why you see so many complaints about how the overall level of quality CM's has gone down so far.

Wbnemo1

leave the union gossip out of it, if it weren't for the union, a lot of good CM's would be gone due to unjust discipline...all the benefits and perks we have wouldn't be round..and pay........all are negotiated with Disney ...get your facts straight before spouting!

Will

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom