Disney World Pricing, No Mulan Theatrical Release?

tirian

The tentpole strategy is relatively recent, but obviously successful. They could certainly shift their approach, but those low-mid range cost movies have essentially disappeared from the theaters and are largely produced now for streaming platforms.

I imagine that the higher production value series shows will be the true cost / driver of Disney+ so when the Marvel and additional Star Wars shows can launch that will certainly help fuel their sales.
The Mandalorian is the only SW TV show I’ve ever watched, and I was impressed.

Mouse Trap

For now, major blockbusters can’t make their money back by going to on demand or screening. That’s common sense. No way you can make that kind of money back.
You are seeing many more movies, not at that high end doing well in the 2 platforms I just mentioned. That’s because attendance has been dwindling for years in the theaters and will continue as more and more people want to sit at home, with their big screens in their pj’s and not overpaying for food and such. Profits from theaters have been dropping for years.
The whole landscape of movie watching is changing just like cutting the cord from cable has been going on for years. Blockbusters are safe for now but give it time, things will change.
As for paying 50 bucks to see a movie earlier? I wouldn’t by myself but with a group of friends, all paying a small price at someone’s house for a party, I would. It’s happening more and more.

Speaking specifically to North America -- over the last ten years total tickets sold have remained relatively flat with spikes/drops dependent on what films are released.

Revenues have been trending upwards on a long term scale. Amount of people is irrelevant, revenues are what matter. Everyone likes to say "less people are going to the movies" like it's valuable insight when really it means absolutely nothing as long as films keep piling up cash at record amounts.

1.2 billion tickets were sold last year in NA alone down from a peak of 1.5 billion in 2002. Theaters have their struggles, but far from dead yet.

Last edited:

Goofnut1980

Well AMC is discussing closing because they won’t ever be able to open the same way. That’s a lot of theaters not to mention all the smaller ones that don’t have the money that AMC has.

Mouse Trap

Well AMC is discussing closing because they won’t ever be able to open the same way. That’s a lot of theaters not to mention all the smaller ones that don’t have the money that AMC has.

AMC is overleveraged. The smaller theaters you mention could very well be in much better financial health. If they head to liquidation (not bankruptcy) they'll be an easy purchase for a company that knows how to manage movie theaters.

AMC is not discussing "closing" -- where the heck do people get their business news from these days?!

tirian

AMC is overleveraged. The smaller theaters you mention could very well be in much better financial health. If they head to liquidation (not bankruptcy) they'll be an easy purchase for a company that knows how to manage movie theaters.

AMC is not discussing "closing" -- where the heck do people get their business news from these days?!
From the news.

Industry rumor mills say Amazon might buy it out.

tirian

They’ll be able to operate the same way if Hollywood agrees to continue putting movies in theaters before VOD.

Right now, that’s a big if.

Mouse Trap

tirian

Where in this article does AMC say they are discussing closing up shop?

“AMC has ‘substantial doubt’ it can remain in business after shuttering all of its locations during the coronavirus pandemic.”

This has been extensively reported in the entertainment industry for weeks now. They’re probably exaggerating to attract a buyer.

Mouse Trap

“AMC has ‘substantial doubt’ it can remain in business after shuttering all of its locations during the coronavirus pandemic.”

This has been extensively reported in the entertainment industry for weeks now. They’re probably exaggerating to attract a buyer.

Doubting your viability to generate positive cashflow and pay the bills is not "discussing closing".

Disclosing business risks when taking the necessary steps legally required to raise debt is not the same as willingly weighing the opportunity to close your business.

the.dreamfinder

Lol Wang Jianlin’s ego/debt fueled expansion goes bust. AMC now encompasses UK’s Odeon and a couple chains on the European continent btw.

dizda

Where in this article does AMC say they are discussing closing up shop?
Substantial doubt that AMC can continue as a going concern means that they cannot say they will still be in business a year from now. They are literally saying that their financial position is so bad that they may have to liquidate and go out of business. AMC may not go out of business and they probably do not want to go out of business, but when a company is at the point that it has to give a going concern warning, going out of business is part of the discussion.

hawkfam

265f4dacae7d91ce4bef9e7f8dc8fb19.jpg

Ldno

AMC and Regal are just not willing to adapt to streaming and rely on the good old business platform, COVID has changed the way we do things for good to an extent, for example the Alamo drafthouse released their own platform to stream their movies from home and gave you the chance to pick up their gourmet food including popcorn from their theaters. At the end of the day AMC and regal had the balls to call out Universal/Comcast because at they sit behind massive franchises that will help the crowds drive back to the masses it might not be great but for sure popcorn flicks at the end of day.

Comcast and Universal could do it, because Comcast is also an Internet provider so they could for sure get back at the theaters and capping their service if they do want to, while Disney and other companies except for Warner Brothers since they fall under ATT, can‘t because on theater profits for Their studios

the.dreamfinder

AMC and Regal are just not willing to adapt to streaming and rely on the good old business platform, COVID has changed the way we do things for good to an extent, for example the Alamo drafthouse released their own platform to stream their movies from home and gave you the chance to pick up their gourmet food including popcorn from their theaters. At the end of the day AMC and regal had the balls to call out Universal/Comcast because at they sit behind massive franchises that will help the crowds drive back to the masses it might not be great but for sure popcorn flicks at the end of day.

Comcast and Universal could do it, because Comcast is also an Internet provider so they could for sure get back at the theaters and capping their service if they do want to, while Disney and other companies except for Warner Brothers since they fall under ATT, can‘t because on theater profits for Their studios
If the movie theaters go away, I hope you’re prepared to spend $30-40/month each on Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, HBO and Prime Video because theatrical distribution is why SVOD services are cheaper than buying theater tickets. It’s where the money is made.

lazyboy97o

If the movie theaters go away, I hope you’re prepared to spend $30-40/month each on Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, HBO and Prime Video because theatrical distribution is why SVOD services are cheaper than buying theater tickets. It’s where the money is made.
And then we’ll be begging the ISPs for some sort of bundle where we can pay them one price and they’ll work out a deal so we have access to various streaming platforms.

Ldno

some people do that Already, heck i always spend like 50 bucks on a single movie in concessions and ticketing alone... theaters are franchises the only ones that will survive are the entertainment hubs, aka bowling alleys plus movies

I honestly had it great with cable, one price for tv and internet and had the log in for content apps were we could stream everthing, now everything is split between internet plus amazon prime, disney, hbo max, Netflix which is about the same if we cable anyways so we as consumers are back to square one.

ISP’s can always flip the switch and just cap your internet without bundling anyways so we have no choice in most cases.

the.dreamfinder

some people do that Already, heck i always spend like 50 bucks on a single movie in concessions and ticketing alone... theaters are franchises the only ones that will survive are the entertainment hubs, aka bowling alleys plus movies

I honestly had it great with cable, one price for tv and internet and had the log in for content apps were we could stream everthing, now everything is split between internet plus amazon prime, disney, hbo max, Netflix which is about the same if we cable anyways so we as consumers are back to square one.

ISP’s can always flip the switch and just cap your internet without bundling anyways so we have no choice in most cases.
Yeah, the studios that have been looking into this want to charge at least $80, probably more if they can use facial recognition tech to determine how many people are watching.

Movie theaters aren’t like book stores, they will be very difficult to revive.

brianstl

Pay per view VOD makes much more financial sense to companies like AT&T and to a lesser extent Comcast than Disney. AT&T reaches hundreds of millions of more customers on platforms like their cable, satellite, cell and internet Provider services where they don’t have share a percentage of the VOD purchase price with a third party.

Mouse Trap

Pay per view VOD makes much more financial sense to companies like AT&T and to a lesser extent Comcast than Disney. AT&T reaches hundreds of millions of more customers on platforms like their cable, satellite, cell and internet Provider services where they don’t have share a percentage of the VOD purchase price with a third party.

Speaking of AT&T, WB still hasn’t released numbers for Scoob, which could be a strong indication that it totally bombed. I’m sure they’d be taking a victory lap like Universal did for Trolls if it performed well.

Also Capone ($25M budget) only pulled $2.5M after 10 days.

We’re talking about event films with minimal competition. Imagine if there were competitive slates every month how bad these numbers would look.

VOD has a while to go before it is the definitive future.

peter11435

Speaking of AT&T, WB still hasn’t released numbers for Scoob, which could be a strong indication that it totally bombed. I’m sure they’d be taking a victory lap like Universal did for Trolls if it performed well.

Also Capone only pulled $2.5M after 10 days.

We’re talking about event films with minimal competition. Imagine if there were competitive slates every month how bad these numbers would look.

VOD has a while to go before it is the definitive future.
Scoob looked horrendous though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom