Disney World Pricing, No Mulan Theatrical Release?

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
I think it was never going to be released in theaters since at least May, I was tipped off about it, reported it, was booed by the boo birds of the forum, and then was right yet again four months later.
How about Frozen 2 Internal Projections?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think it was never going to be released in theaters since at least May, I was tipped off about it, reported it, was booed by the boo birds of the forum, and then was right yet again four months later.
You can make an opinion without swiping at everyone else. Leave it at that and it’s good to hear.

If you’re going to scream “don’t doubt the insider!!”...you might need a better huckleberry than me. I’m not a “trusting” type.

You do make interesting points/theories. That’s cool.

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
There is a 0% chance they go straight to Disney+ with any high budget movie. At minimum it would be a $19.99 or more pay per view release.
I would bet a lot of money that if WDW opened with no protective measures tomorrow it would be relatively crowded. At least 70% of the crowd that was there in the week before the closure, probably more.
Subscription based streaming services can not support the business model for movies with $200 million budgets. If they could, HBO etc would have been putting out exclusive movies with those kind of budgets for the last 30 years.

If movie theaters don't exist in 15 years, what defines a movie will be different. If people get all you can watch streaming for $12 a month (for a family), "movies" will have much lower budgets. Eventually, the subscriber growth slows to a crawl.

For example, Game of Thrones was a high budget production and cost $60 - $90 million for a season. On an hourly basis the peak for the final season was $15 million. Translated to a feature film that would be a $30 - $40 million budget for something the length of a marvel movie. That's a fraction of what those cost to produce.

The only way for high budget movies to exist without movie theaters is if large numbers of people are willing to pay $50 or more for a premium pay per view window. I don't believe a large enough market exists. If you will eventually see Avengers 57 included with your Disney+ subscription, would you pay $50 additional to view it on the same TV in the same living room a few months earlier?
What a difference a month makes, eh?

Archie123

if HBO owns the streaming rights to the Fox films, why are all the xmen movies and Avatar on Disney+?

Here is an article explaining that HBO gets exclusive streaming rights to 20th Century Fox Movies through 2022. With that being said, deals can always be reworked and renegotiated.

doctornick

if HBO owns the streaming rights to the Fox films, why are all the xmen movies and Avatar on Disney+?

To clarify, they own streaming rights to new releases. So, after the time when a movie is in theaters, HBO gets the rights (I would think for both the HBO TV channel and the streaming rights for HBO Max) for a certain period of time. After that period of time, the Fox movie rights return to the film studio - which is now Disney - and they can do whatever they want with the films. This is why other recent Fox movies like "Spies in Disguise" or "Call of the Wild" are streaming on HBO Max and not on Disney+. But eventually Disney will regain those rights and they can put them on their service.

The Fox films that are now on Disney+ are movies that HBO - or any other third party - no longer has broadcast rights to and so Disney is free to put them on their own platform.

doctornick

Contracts can be re-negotiated.

Sure, they could be, but I doubt any of the Fox produced films - especially a stinker like New Mutants - are worthwhile enough for Disney to spend the money to buy out the contract with HBO. There are even Disney studio films that aren't appearing on Disney+ due to other companies owning the streaming rights at this time - it seems like Disney's strategy has been to just allow the rights to expire then to add those movies as "new releases" to Disney+ over time.

CJR

I might be the minority but nothing replaces watching a new movie on the big screen at a theater. I just can’t get excited to sit at home and watch it on my regular tv.

I agree with you, but it depends on the movie, in terms of how much I care. We had AMC A-List prior to the shutdown and still were not planning to rush out and see Mulan. Things like Endgame absolutely need to be seen on the big screen IMO.

While Mulan was clearly designed for it, the audience appeal just hasn't been there. It was already set to be a weaker grossing reboot compared to Aladdin and The Lion King. It might actually gain some ground packaging it with Disney+, IMO.

Especially if some theaters still show it. It'll be interesting to see if they can get the AMC at DS to show it, if it opens. It's against AMC policy, but they could possibly work something out. If they can, it's kind of like double dipping and a bit genius for this film.

corran horn

Black Widow is money all but in-hand for Disney. Mulan is more of a risk.

My family of 4 would've seen both and still will given whatever media and schedule they are released upon.

A $30 Disney+'d Mulan is still saving me a decent amount of money.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom