Disney World needs major updating

plebcy

Original Poster
I just got back from a 7-day vacation to Disney World. I noticed many things while at Disney that ruined the experience. I hadn't been to World since 2015 before this trip, and I had only visited Disneyland recently before this trip. There's a bunch of issues that Disney World has that I want to discuss and rant about, and hopefully get others to write their opinion too. This is going to be a very long post, so if you read this fully and reply I appreciate it!

Stepping into the parks for the first time in almost 8 years was something special. However I immediately noticed and was blown away at how poorly maintained the parks are. I understand Magic Kingdom and their other parks are classic parks and home to classic and original rides such as the Carousel of Progress, Haunted Mansion, etc. Still, Disney should not be able to get away with how poorly they maintain Magic Kingdom and their other parks.

Fantasyland needs immediate attention. For starters, "its a small world," has seen better days. There are parts of the ride where the red carpet flooring that the set pieces sit on is ripped, where you can visibly see parts of the carpet just missing, threaded, and dirty. There's visible rust throughout the ride, and the boats look like they haven't been cleaned in decades. The Magic Carpets of Aladdin in Adventureland is so poorly maintained that it's not even funny. All you hear when near or walking by the ride is squeaking each time the carpets go up and down. The Haunted Mansion cannot even turn smoothly. In Disneyland, the ride seems somewhat more maintained. At Disney World, the Doom Buggies cannot even fully turn without jolting and stopping for a quick second before completing the turn. I've also noticed an increase in rides breaking down, temporarily closing, or stopping mid-ride due to technical issues.

While I was at Disney World, Space Mountain was temporarily closed 2.5/7 days I was there, and when It wasn't closed for a full day, It was up for only a few hours before closing yet again. I was finally able to ride Space Mountain during "Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party," and the promised "pitch black" lighting wasn't the case. They seemed to have left on the maintenance tower lights, ruining the effect. As far as the ride goes, It's embarrassing how clunky it is. While I understand It's an old ride, you would think they would update the track to create a smoother experience. I find the 1 seat per row setup uncomfortable, cramped, and not even comparable (in a bad way) to Disneyland's Space Mountain.

The People Mover in Tomorrowland broke down while I was on it to the point where we had to walk off the ride after sitting there for almost an hour. It seemed as though the Cast Members couldn't figure out what happened to the ride either. The Peoplemover remained closed for the entirety of the next day too, along with Space Mountain. I'm not going to go into this much detail about the other three parks, but let's just say EPCOT was a huge letdown, too. The amount of construction that was going on at EPCOT was actually insane.

The entire front of the park was covered in walls/fences blocking the view of Spaceship Earth. I understand construction is necessary, however, I feel as though Disney isn't working on anything people want to be added. Instead, they continue building shops, and (in my opinion) unnecessary and unfitting "attractions" such as Journey of Water. It's sad to see how Disney seemingly won't invest money into new expansions of parks. I think Cosmic Rewind, Pandora land, Star Wars land and Tron are amazing additions since I've been to Disney, but...they just don't hold that same magic original areas like Adventureland, Tomorrowland, and whatnot have. Everything seems to be built upon multi-billion dollar IP's no one asked for. For the final thing I'm going to comment, which I think is the worst yet, on my last day I had been talking to a Cast Member. He stated that he tested Tron before It opened and obviously, the whole purpose of testing a ride is finding flaws before the ride opens to the public. What he told me was that if you're in the front seat(s) of Tron, you cannot see details of the ride because the timing is off. Disney was told this by him, and other cast members and they never fixed it.

DisneyFanatic12

I just got back from a 7-day vacation to Disney World. I noticed many things while at Disney that ruined the experience. I hadn't been to World since 2015 before this trip, and I had only visited Disneyland recently before this trip. There's a bunch of issues that Disney World has that I want to discuss and rant about, and hopefully get others to write their opinion too. This is going to be a very long post, so if you read this fully and reply I appreciate it!

Stepping into the parks for the first time in almost 8 years was something special. However I immediately noticed and was blown away at how poorly maintained the parks are. I understand Magic Kingdom and their other parks are classic parks and home to classic and original rides such as the Carousel of Progress, Haunted Mansion, etc. Still, Disney should not be able to get away with how poorly they maintain Magic Kingdom and their other parks.

Fantasyland needs immediate attention. For starters, "its a small world," has seen better days. There are parts of the ride where the red carpet flooring that the set pieces sit on is ripped, where you can visibly see parts of the carpet just missing, threaded, and dirty. There's visible rust throughout the ride, and the boats look like they haven't been cleaned in decades. The Magic Carpets of Aladdin in Adventureland is so poorly maintained that it's not even funny. All you hear when near or walking by the ride is squeaking each time the carpets go up and down. The Haunted Mansion cannot even turn smoothly. In Disneyland, the ride seems somewhat more maintained. At Disney World, the Doom Buggies cannot even fully turn without jolting and stopping for a quick second before completing the turn. I've also noticed an increase in rides breaking down, temporarily closing, or stopping mid-ride due to technical issues.

While I was at Disney World, Space Mountain was temporarily closed 2.5/7 days I was there, and when It wasn't closed for a full day, It was up for only a few hours before closing yet again. I was finally able to ride Space Mountain during "Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party," and the promised "pitch black" lighting wasn't the case. They seemed to have left on the maintenance tower lights, ruining the effect. As far as the ride goes, It's embarrassing how clunky it is. While I understand It's an old ride, you would think they would update the track to create a smoother experience. I find the 1 seat per row setup uncomfortable, cramped, and not even comparable (in a bad way) to Disneyland's Space Mountain.

The People Mover in Tomorrowland broke down while I was on it to the point where we had to walk off the ride after sitting there for almost an hour. It seemed as though the Cast Members couldn't figure out what happened to the ride either. The Peoplemover remained closed for the entirety of the next day too, along with Space Mountain. I'm not going to go into this much detail about the other three parks, but let's just say EPCOT was a huge letdown, too. The amount of construction that was going on at EPCOT was actually insane.
The lack of maintenance at MK is pretty crazy! I like what they did to “improve” Tomorrowland, but it needs more love still. A lot better than it was, but still a little sad. May I ask when you rode Space Mountain? Sometimes they just take a long time to get the ride switched over. Oh, and unlike in previous years, they take they time to confirm that every last guest without a party ticket is out. That means they close the ride for a few cycles to confirm the only guests that can experience the overlay are paying guests. Not that it really matters, but it’s crazy they’d inconvenience paying party guests just so they can confirm no regular guest accidentally got the overlay.
I think Cosmic Rewind, Pandora land, Star Wars land and Tron are amazing additions since I've been to Disney, but...they just don't hold that same magic original areas like Adventureland, Tomorrowland, and whatnot have. Everything seems to be built upon multi-billion dollar IP's no one asked for.
I personally love Pandora, but no expansion will ever be everyone’s bread and butter. Just a matter of taste!
For the final thing I'm going to comment, which I think is the worst yet, on my last day I had been talking to a Cast Member. He stated that he tested Tron before It opened and obviously, the whole purpose of testing a ride is finding flaws before the ride opens to the public. What he told me was that if you're in the front seat(s) of Tron, you cannot see details of the ride because the timing is off. Disney was told this by him, and other cast members and they never fixed it.
Disappointing they couldn’t find a way to improve guest experience by getting better timing, but I don’t think any roller coaster will have great timing for everyone if the screen is parallel to the car. Just seems like you try to maximize the number of seats with better timing! In defense of Disney, many effects for rollercoasters are triggered by sensors on or around the track. These often can’t be easily accessed and can be expensive to move/replace for minimal reasons. And even if the system could be easily “fixed” so that the front row got better timing, the ride would likely have to be partially reprogrammed and further tested. This can be expensive, and importantly, cause delays. Disney might not care that much about delays, but at the point of CM previews, they usually have a target opening date that they try to meet.

JoeCamel

The entire front of the park was covered in walls/fences blocking the view of Spaceship Earth. I understand construction is necessary, however, I feel as though Disney isn't working on anything people want to be added. Instead, they continue building shops, and (in my opinion) unnecessary and unfitting "attractions" such as Journey of Water. It's sad to see how Disney seemingly won't invest money into new expansions of parks. I think Cosmic Rewind, Pandora land, Star Wars land and Tron are amazing additions since I've been to Disney, but...they just don't hold that same magic original areas like Adventureland, Tomorrowland, and whatnot have. Everything seems to be built upon multi-billion dollar IP's no one asked for. For the final thing I'm going to comment, which I think is the worst yet, on my last day I had been talking to a Cast Member. He stated that he tested Tron before It opened and obviously, the whole purpose of testing a ride is finding flaws before the ride opens to the public. What he told me was that if you're in the front seat(s) of Tron, you cannot see details of the ride because the timing is off. Disney was told this by him, and other cast members and they never fixed it.
So you are not impressed with all the Destination D announcements of upcoming projects that will update the World?
Construction will be ongoing for the foreseeable future with the walls everywhere so check back in 2030?

StarWarsGirl

I've also noticed an increase in rides breaking down, temporarily closing, or stopping mid-ride due to technical issues.
DL definitely has this problem as well. I was there in June and got to ride Indy only two times because of the amount of breakdowns (in six days). POTC was another one out there that was frequently down.

Stoppages midride on WDW rides are often due to the massive amount of scooters and wheelchairs, which there aren't nearly the amount at DL.

As far as the ride goes, It's embarrassing how clunky it is. While I understand It's an old ride, you would think they would update the track to create a smoother experience. I find the 1 seat per row setup uncomfortable, cramped, and not even comparable (in a bad way) to Disneyland's Space Mountain.
It's supposed to be like Matterhorn, not DL's Space Mountain. Which Matterhorn is also rough and cramped, and probably more jerky than Space Mountain at WDW.

The amount of construction that was going on at EPCOT was actually insane
So you say you want updates, but then you don't want the construction walls. Your logic confuses me. Anyway, they should be coming down soon as that area is set to open, and the worst of the Epcot construction is over.
Everything seems to be built upon multi-billion dollar IP's no one asked for.
Weren't the two most recent DL expansions (Avengers Campus and Galaxy's Edge) also based on IP?

The Haunted Mansion cannot even turn smoothly. In Disneyland, the ride seems somewhat more maintained.
I just rode HM in WDW last night and actually thought the opposite compared to DL. It went through a quick refurb about a month ago, and the stretching room definitely looked brighter compared to the DL version. I've never noticed the cars jerking in either version.
He stated that he tested Tron before It opened and obviously, the whole purpose of testing a ride is finding flaws before the ride opens to the public. What he told me was that if you're in the front seat(s) of Tron, you cannot see details of the ride because the timing is off. Disney was told this by him, and other cast members and they never fixed it.
Tron definitely has issues, but Disney is a bit limited in what they can do in a short span. Hopefully they'll make adjustments to it because this ride was a bust IMO.

plebcy

Original Poster
So you are not impressed with all the Destination D announcements of upcoming projects that will update the World?
Construction will be ongoing for the foreseeable future with the walls everywhere so check back in 2030?
No, because nothing is confirmed. Disney is known for throwing out ideas during their D23 announcement, but not actually committing the money for it. As far as I could tell, the only major confirmed change is the update of Test Track. I’ve seen Disney talk about expanding upon Magic Kingdom “beyond big thunder” and whatnot, but until we get confirmation that they are 100% adding more to Magic Kingdom and other significant changes to the other parks, I see no reason to be excited or impressed.

plebcy

Original Poster
DL definitely has this problem as well. I was there in June and got to ride Indy only two times because of the amount of breakdowns (in six days). POTC was another one out there that was frequently down.

Stoppages midride on WDW rides are often due to the massive amount of scooters and wheelchairs, which there aren't nearly the amount at DL.

It's supposed to be like Matterhorn, not DL's Space Mountain. Which Matterhorn is also rough and cramped, and probably more jerky than Space Mountain at WDW.

So you say you want updates, but then you don't want the construction walls. Your logic confuses me. Anyway, they should be coming down soon as that area is set to open, and the worst of the Epcot construction is over.

Weren't the two most recent DL expansions (Avengers Campus and Galaxy's Edge) also based on IP?

I just rode HM in WDW last night and actually thought the opposite compared to DL. It went through a quick refurb about a month ago, and the stretching room definitely looked brighter compared to the DL version. I've never noticed the cars jerking in either version.

Tron definitely has issues, but Disney is a bit limited in what they can do in a short span. Hopefully they'll make adjustments to it because this ride was a bust IMO.
I’m not necessarily upset that Epcot is getting construction and walls are up, I’m more upset at the fact that they’re not changing or adding anything significant people are asking for. Universal is building an entire new theme park, almost double the size of Magic Kingdom. What has Disney done to compete with Universals gaining lead on Disney? In regards to the IP additions, I think they’re all fine, and cool but they just don’t share that same level of uniqueness or “disney magic” as their more original rides, and areas have. Disney needs to come up with a plan, and commit the money to it. I’m well aware even something like just creating a new ride can take a long time to perfect, but Magic Kingdom has had almost no significant update in a long time. If Disney ends up really expanding Magic Kingdom past BTM, that would be a huge win for Disney and park enthusiasts, but all it seems that we’re getting now is those vague ideas with no confidence.

JoeCamel

No, because nothing is confirmed. Disney is known for throwing out ideas during their D23 announcement, but not actually committing the money for it. As far as I could tell, the only major confirmed change is the update of Test Track. I’ve seen Disney talk about expanding upon Magic Kingdom “beyond big thunder” and whatnot, but until we get confirmation that they are 100% adding more to Magic Kingdom and other significant changes to the other parks, I see no reason to be excited or impressed.
More Iger more Josh, its the same tune they have been playing for the last ten years. They milk the cow to feed the failed ventures without feeding the cow or expanding the pasture.
Why are you surprised?
They are in the business of storytelling after all....

wdwfan4ver

I’m not necessarily upset that Epcot is getting construction and walls are up, I’m more upset at the fact that they’re not changing or adding anything significant people are asking for. Universal is building an entire new theme park, almost double the size of Magic Kingdom. What has Disney done to compete with Universals gaining lead on Disney? In regards to the IP additions, I think they’re all fine, and cool but they just don’t share that same level of uniqueness or “disney magic” as their more original rides, and areas have. Disney needs to come up with a plan, and commit the money to it. I’m well aware even something like just creating a new ride can take a long time to perfect, but Magic Kingdom has had almost no significant update in a long time. If Disney ends up really expanding Magic Kingdom past BTM, that would be a huge win for Disney and park enthusiasts, but all it seems that we’re getting now is those vague ideas with no confidence.
Magic Kingdom beyond BTM is likely to open way too late. Disney is slower than Universal in Construction speed. I'm guessing 5 or 6 years after more details are announced. Universal is going to have at least 2 projects completed after Epic Universe opens by the time beyond BTM opens.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
It's sad really. To see something we all hold so dear in our hearts fall so far from grace, and the top dogs at fault continue to fail with little consequence.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
D23 they said they will build a watering hole near POTC... that will bring in the crowds...

Say no more, line forms to the left

1694567222988.png

jloucks

I mean, you're almost entirely correct. The only part that I didn't completely follow was the walls/fencing. Construction is arguably a good sign?

The people mover has been notoriously fiddly since at least 2012. I have been on exactly zero trips where it was not down part of the time. I am not a ride engineer, but it does not seem like all that complicated a ride. Not compared to a coaster anyway.

JIMINYCR

I mean, you're almost entirely correct. The only part that I didn't completely follow was the walls/fencing. Construction is arguably a good sign?

The people mover has been notoriously fiddly since at least 2012. I have been on exactly zero trips where it was not down part of the time. I am not a ride engineer, but it does not seem like all that complicated a ride. Not compared to a coaster anyway.
Yes . Dis should accommodate me and schedule construction when I’m NOT there. How inconsiderate of them.
They cry that there’s not enough in the park and then they cry when something is being done.

crawale

Just returned from a trip to Universal - Hard Rock Hotel. Service was just like Disney used to be. After attending the Luau at the Royal Pacific we were so tired after a long day - very short distance so taxis did not want to do a short journey - instead we got a ride from the bell hop in charge in the company car. Cost was a fraction of a Disney trip especially as the room key from one of their three premier hotels is your fast pass - to as many rides as you wish. Staff could not have been nicer or more helpful. For 34 years we were Disney addicts - DVC, Annual Passes, trips at least once a year - until unfortunately the service tailed off, value went way down and no comment about the 'woke'. Just a suggestion to those wanting to return to the days of 'Walt's Disney concept' might just try to do something different.

Thepuma

I won't go into this as I've been ranting for 3 weeks on here about the very same issues you've raised, and more.

Needless to say, Disney are on a huge backwards cycle - the whoel experience is as bad as its ever been, yet it costs more than ever to experience it.

The additions of Remy,Guardians and Tron in recent years has added some value for sure, but on the whole the Disney Parks and their management of them leave a lot to be desired.

Thepuma

Just returned from a trip to Universal - Hard Rock Hotel. Service was just like Disney used to be. After attending the Luau at the Royal Pacific we were so tired after a long day - very short distance so taxis did not want to do a short journey - instead we got a ride from the bell hop in charge in the company car. Cost was a fraction of a Disney trip especially as the room key from one of their three premier hotels is your fast pass - to as many rides as you wish. Staff could not have been nicer or more helpful. For 34 years we were Disney addicts - DVC, Annual Passes, trips at least once a year - until unfortunately the service tailed off, value went way down and no comment about the 'woke'. Just a suggestion to those wanting to return to the days of 'Walt's Disney concept' might just try to do something different.
We spent a night in Hard Rock Hotel during HHN last week...I have to say, it is a very very poor hotel now.

Our room, which we paid $550 was absolutely Disgusting...furniture battered to hell, hairs from previous occupants in the sink, dirt and stains all over the bed throw, dust everywhere on the surfaces and air vents- it was like a Travelodge.

We did take photos and spoke to the manager, he agreed it was not acceptable- and to his credit he did sort us out - he could not move us to a different room as they were fully booked (opening weekend of HHN) but he did compensate us with drinks, meals and a big credit to spend on Universal Merchandise in the parks (which we were due to buy anyway) so he salvaged the situation.

But the hotel is in poor shape (the rooms) and he did say they are having a major refurb starting next year, so maybe things will improve- but I wouldn't pay their prices at the moment for a Travelodge/Rosen Inn quality room.

ppete1975

We spent a night in Hard Rock Hotel during HHN last week...I have to say, it is a very very poor hotel now.

Our room, which we paid $550 was absolutely Disgusting...furniture battered to hell, hairs from previous occupants in the sink, dirt and stains all over the bed throw, dust everywhere on the surfaces and air vents- it was like a Travelodge.

We did take photos and spoke to the manager, he agreed it was not acceptable- and to his credit he did sort us out - he could not move us to a different room as they were fully booked (opening weekend of HHN) but he did compensate us with drinks, meals and a big credit to spend on Universal Merchandise in the parks (which we were due to buy anyway) so he salvaged the situation.

But the hotel is in poor shape (the rooms) and he did say they are having a major refurb starting next year, so maybe things will improve- but I wouldn't pay their prices at the moment for a Travelodge/Rosen Inn quality room.
should have comped your hotel room

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom