Disney World in 1975

timeman

Original Poster
Screamscape posted a video that was put up on Vimeo showing Disney in 1975. There is no sound in the video, but there are shots of the America on Parade parade and a POV of Big Thunder Mountain in the video. Here is a link to the video itself.

http://vimeo.com/10060703

rsoxguy

I loved it! Looking at the topiaries from the monorail was always a great experience, and the video took me back to my first trips to WDW. Thanks very much for posting the link.

Ghall

Thanks for the link, it was cool to see the footage of Disneyworld back in 1975, I was only a small child back then! I would have loved to go to Disney as a kid.

WishIwasThere

That was a really neat video. Brings me back to my first time visiting in 1980. Wow, 1975, that was right when space mountain was just opening. Parade looks a little creepy with all the big headed characters. Intersting that none of the characters interacting with the guests had handlers within view of the camera. Character costumes look much better now.

Krack

What a difference in the meet & greets. Back then, you'd walk around WDW and if you saw Mickey Mouse walking by the attitude was "Hey, look it's Mickey Mouse. Maybe you should go say hello and shake his hand." Or maybe you'd go get a quick photo taken. It was not that big a deal.

Fast forward to today where if a character walks by like that they'd be mobbed immediately and every single kid in a 500 feet radius needs to get a hug, autograph and a photo taken. In my opinion, this is 99% the fault of Disney's own marketing which pushes that if your kid hasn't met Mickey Mouse then you have failed as a parent and (hey, look at that!) the only place for your kid to meet Mickey Mouse (and Donald and Tinker Bell and Cinderella) is the Magic Kindgom, so book your trip immediately.

It's just another way Disney's has impeded any spontinaety in the parks.

Lee

Adventurer
What a difference in the meet & greets. Back then, you'd walk around WDW and if you saw it Mickey Mouse walking by the attitude was "Hey, look it's Mickey Mouse. Maybe you should go say hello and shake his hand." Or maybe you'd go get a quick photo taken. It was not that big a deal.

Fast forward to today where I character walks by like that and they'd be mobbed immediately and every single kid in a 500 feet radius needs to get a hug, autograph and a photo taken. In my opinion, this is 99% the fault of Disney's own marketing which pushes that if your kid hasn't met Mickey Mouse then you have failed as a parent and (hey, look at that!) the only place for your kid to meet Mickey Mouse (and Donald and Tinker Bell and Cinderella) is the Magic Kindgom, so book your trip immediately.

It's just another way Disney's has impeded any spontinaety in the parks.

Yes. Repeated here for truth.:sohappy:

mikeanabean

[
Quote:
Originally Posted by marni1971 View Post
No there isn`t... BTM didn`t groundbreak in Orlando until 1978..

quote=echoscot;4011364]thank you i was wondering about that, because i became a cm in 1980 and btm went into cast preview that fall...

However the video footage is fantastic.[/quote]

snap!!!

TP2000

I never cease to be amazed at how slim and slender and healthy everyone in those old videos looks. You never see anyone who is more than just a tad overweight, let alone morbidly obese, and not a single ECV in sight. All the ladies look slim and fit, and all the men look trim. The children are all absolutely brimming with health and fitness and slim builds. And then there's the 1970's CM's, who look like supermodels compared to their 21st century counterparts.

It's fascinating how we have changed as a culture and society, and how different the average group of people walking through a theme park looks today compared to just 35 years ago. :eek:

Walt Disney1955

I never cease to be amazed at how slim and slender and healthy everyone in those old videos looks. You never see anyone who is more than just a tad overweight, let alone morbidly obese, and not a single ECV in sight. All the ladies look slim and fit, and all the men look trim. The children are all absolutely brimming with health and fitness and slim builds. And then there's the 1970's CM's, who look like supermodels compared to their 21st century counterparts.

It's fascinating how we have changed as a culture and society, and how different the average group of people walking through a theme park looks today compared to just 35 years ago. :eek:

And think about it, at that time Americans were also considered fat and out of shape compared to the rest of the world. I think things started to change in the '80s and '90s. Obviously the internet has hurt us that way, but prior to that there was Nintendo which was IMO the biggest culprit to obese children. I won't even say TV, because there was TV in 1975 obviously.

And yeah I am 6'2" 260lbs. Not all fat of course, I am very broad in the upper body and such but I would be lying if I didn't have a gut. If you saw me I'd look like an NFL linemen. So I am the last person that can talk about weight :animwink:

Krack

No SUV strollers either.

Tar Heel

I came across a video from 1988 and there was no sight of an ECV. I know that some people really do need them but you see others on them that have no idea how to operate the thing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom