Disney World Explorer banned for LIFE

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdw71fan

good for disney, just because your a fan, doesnt mean your entitled to do what he did to entertain his "morbid curiousity" I do agree that the lifetime ban was a bit extreme. Maybe just tell him to stop and ban him for a year...

Just a default really... Tresspass noticed in Florida have no expiration, that's all.. it can be lifted at any time by Disney.. if they want to.

s8film40

I said NICELY mod. Now please, can I have my first message? Adam The Woo should not have been issued a trespass warning under the circumstances he was in at the time when it happened.
He wasn't issued the trespass warning for his actions at the time but rather what he had already done. Just because they didn't catch him in the act doesn't mean they don't have the right to say we've seen what you've been doing and we don't want you here.

wdw71fan

I can trespass you from my (private) property without ANY reason, or ANY warnings... It's private property.. if you don't want someone there, they have no legal right to be there.. Period.

What's more, is that he was a paying customer, which means that he entered into a contractual agreement to behave in the way that Disney sees fit.. He broke that agreement, and all ticket media reads that you can and will be trespassed for it and have your ticketing revoked.

s8film40

Don't try and twist Walt's words into supporting the cause. Walt meant opening new doors of innovation and was speaking figuratively, not literally..

Your friend was treated as a nuisance, and he should consider himself lucky that Disney isn't pursuing criminal charges against him.

and I'm sure with all this publicity lately, Universal will start looking at Mr TheWoo's videos of closed and restricted areas there, and follow suit with issuing him a trespass notice as well..
I don't think this is even really about curiosity and learning new things. Pretty much everything these people are doing is available either though guided tours and other legitimate means. I think it's more of a thrill of knowing they could get caught doing what they're doing and being somewhere they're not supposed to be. It's like people who shoplift but have plenty of money and could easily afford what they steal.

wdw71fan

I don't think this is even really about curiosity and learning new things. Pretty much everything these people are doing is available either though guided tours and other legitimate means. I think it's more of a thrill of knowing they could get caught doing what they're doing and being somewhere they're not supposed to be. It's like people who shoplift but have plenty of money and could easily afford what they steal.

That's exactly right.. and let me paint this scenario.. Adam goes backstage Into an area and gets hurt or killed because he's somewhere he shouldn't have been... Momma is gonna be first in line to sue Disney..

They have to protect themselves.. especially from stupid people.

Bob Saget

To the people trying to defend this guy:
Why don't I break into your home, and start walking around while filming for my YouTube documentary. Then when you kick me out or take legal action, I can gripe about it online because I was simply doing the deed outta "morbid curiosity".

Rules are still rules, and private property is still private property. (No matter how many views you get on YouTube.com)

CJR

Okay, to sum up....

Disney Security cannot arrest people. They can detain them but they cannot make any arrests. They have no law enforcement powers whatsoever but their relationship with local, state & federal law enforcement agencies probably makes that point moot.

The Orange County Sheriff's Office is the agency that would be arresting him. Disney would have to make a complaint to OCSO and IMO the evidence Adam posted online of himself trespassing would likely fulfill the legal requirements for an arrest warrant and would be introduced into court.

So from that point of view, Disney is being nice here. They haven't done that. Instead, they politely told him he is no longer welcome inside the 47-square miles of private property that encompass the Walt Disney World Resort because he failed to be a properly behaved guest. He needs to suck it up and realize that if he pulls this elsewhere, other Theme Parks may not be so lenient.

Up until this point, they couldn't have done that. It's kind of hard to get arrested for trespassing without a warning first. This warning WAS his "slap on the hand" that he was talking about. They would have had a hard fight had they just arrested him first since the video wouldn't be enough evidence. Even now, it would be hard to prove it if he were on property if he posted another video since he could say "this was before all that happened". That is why Disney didn't go that far (because it's too difficult and they didn't want to cause a bigger scene).

The big thing here is safety. Areas off limits are commonly a safety hazard since they may not have all the precautions that exist "on stage". If he were to get hurt, it would technically be Disney's fault. That alone is enough reason to not ever do what he did.

CJR

Why don't I break into your home, and start walking around while filming for my YouTube documentary. Then when you kick me out or take legal action, I can gripe about it online because I was simply doing the deed outta "morbid curiosity".

Rules are still rules, and private property is still private property. (No matter how many views you get on YouTube.com)

I wouldn't say he was griping, he was pretty respectful in his You Tube video. If something like that happened to me, I would probably tell people about it, but he didn't "gripe". He'll miss Walt Disney World, but if he needs his fix, I believe he can still go to Disneyland. Of course, if he does, he better not "explore" again.

muteki

I can trespass you from my (private) property without ANY reason, or ANY warnings... It's private property.. if you don't want someone there, they have no legal right to be there.. Period.

What's more, is that he was a paying customer, which means that he entered into a contractual agreement to behave in the way that Disney sees fit.. He broke that agreement, and all ticket media reads that you can and will be trespassed for it and have your ticketing revoked.

Pretty much this. Private property, they don't want you there, banned for life. Pretty cut and dry. While I can appreciate the "spirit" of what he was doing, Disney is fully within their rights to say get out and stay out.

If Disney would reopen these areas back to the public rather than cut costs by keeping them closed this wouldn't have happened. He's exposing the fact that whole areas like the upstairs of Imagination and Wonders of Life pavillion are closed for no reason.

I understand the desire to see these places again, but this isn't really the best way of going about it.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Five seconds into his "banned from WDW" video and I couldn't take it. Disney's only mistake in banning him was that it gave him tons of free publicity. If you're dumb enough to have a public persona, break into barricaded or closed areas on the property of a megacorporation and then kvetch about getting banned for life, I've got nothing for you.

one does not just jump into a Adam the Woo video.. and expect to get all the humor and mannerisms right away. His day after video was long - but perfectly follow-able for anyone who has watched several of his videos before. He got a few chuckles out of me at points. But it's not NBC sitcom material - one must be accustomed to get a lot of it.

captainkidd

one does not just jump into a Adam the Woo video.. and expect to get all the humor and mannerisms right away. His day after video was long - but perfectly follow-able for anyone who has watched several of his videos before. He got a few chuckles out of me at points. But it's not NBC sitcom material - one must be accustomed to get a lot of it.

Yeah, there are quite a few youtubers out there like that. There's one guy who does movie reviews and he cracks me up, and my wife thinks I'm insane. The problem I have with this guy is that he seemed to be bragging about breaking the rules. Not to the extent of the Dark Side of Disney folks, but nonetheless. I just find that type of stuff odd.

Next Big Thing

While the guy might not be a raving lunatic, I agree with the person who says he has some mental health issues.

I don't know what the terminology would be, but I think a person who can't control himself from being places he shouldn't be has a problem. Also, I think someone who can't control himself from posting his stupidity on the Internet has a problem.

Seems like the guy has a desperate need for the approval of strangers, which I see as being a problem as well.
While it's possible, there are many urban explorers out there who do things like this because it gives them a sense of thrill and they love doing it. Not because they have a mental illness. I agree it was stupid at least for him to put his face on camera, but i've seen many reports and videos of these sort of things. People do it. It doesn't mean that they are mentally ill (again, not saying it's out of the question, but it's not the only reason).

captainkidd

Exactly. Period. End of story. That's the bottom line.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The problem I have with this guy is that he seemed to be bragging about breaking the rules

Nah - he never brags about breaking the rules.. he just explores and is curious. You ride along with the adventure. Watch something like the aerojet or six flags videos to get a baseline..

He's basically acting like most of us did as young teens.. but with no destruction and a bit of humor to go along with it :)

Thrill Seeker

I've enjoyed his videos, but yeah, like what has already been said, those areas are off limits for a reason. I've been upstairs in Imageworks since they closed it (I was working in the Imag gift shop and got permission). It was cool to see everything, but there's a good reason why guests aren't permitted up there. Believe it or not, but Disney doesn't want the general public to see retired areas in their decaying state (who knew right?). Honestly, I'm surprised it took this long to ban him... That being said, I didn't know he did a WoL video and I might have to watch that when I get home...

Captain Neo

Original Poster
Jim Hill got banned for life for giving unauthorized tours back in 2004 at Disneyland and im fairy certain he has been back to the parks since then

nomeus

Jim Hill got banned for life for giving unauthorized tours back in 2004 at Disneyland and im fairy certain he has been back to the parks since then

Define unauthorized tours. Are you saying the average Joe cant lead a group of 5 or more people around the parks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom