News Disney World Earmarks 80 Acres for Affordable Housing

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
“The development, which is expected to include more than 1,300 units, will be constructed by a third-party affordable housing developer and will be located on Disney’s land in southwest Orange County, Florida. It will offer Central Florida residents a variety of home choices that are affordable and attainable, in a great part of town near schools and the new and expanding Flamingo Crossings Town Center retail and dining complex. The development will be available for qualifying applicants in our region, including Disney cast members.”

the.dreamfinder

They should be doing this, but urban sprawl is bad. By building Flamingo Crossings and this proposed development where they have, they’re going to continue the destruction of open space without tackling the central issue that’s been driving the affordability crisis, the preponderance of car reliant single family subdivisions.

Wake me up when they buy up and tear down a subdivision closer to civilization to build a project like this.

rio

They should be doing this, but urban sprawl is bad. By building Flamingo Crossings and this proposed development where they have, they’re going to continue the destruction of open space without tackling the central issue that’s been driving the affordability crisis, the preponderance of car reliant single family subdivisions.

Wake me up when they buy up and tear down a subdivision closer to civilization to build a project like this.
On the other hand if rent goes any higher cast members won't be able to afford to work at Disney in any capacity, even with roommates.

Eventually they'll run out of space. But right now we need all the housing we can get. I'm glad Disney's actually making an effort here, even if it may be in their own self-interest.

CaptainAmerica

The vast majority of people in human history have been agrarian/rural.

castlecake2.0

I agree the urban sprawl is definitely an issue, though I think building this near property is to help cast with housing options, so building this downtown wouldn’t work as well. Saying that, I really hope they work in some sort of transit solution to help people get around and to/from work. That’s an issue in celebration too, there is hardly any transit service in town. Maybe with this brew development plus all the CP housing in this area they can also build a more robust transit network.

Nthderivative

Curious if the area will be similar to the low income apt housing where many cast live behind MK by Reams road.
Most of the land that can be developed has already been developed. The majority of the land behind those apartments is unsuitable for building and is taxed as Conservation areas.

the.dreamfinder

On the other hand if rent goes any higher cast members won't be able to afford to work at Disney in any capacity, even with roommates.

Eventually they'll run out of space. But right now we need all the housing we can get. I'm glad Disney's actually making an effort here, even if it may be in their own self-interest.
But it’s not just rents, having to own a car can eat up a significant portion of a worker’s earnings.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom