News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

TrojanUSC

In the end, these wages and prices are unsustainable. Disney paid $10 an hour in 2019 and $7.80/ hour in 2009 and now they’re on target for $20. Wages cannot double in 4 years. The economy is not that elastic. I am by no means picking on Disney castmembers. Their unions should fight for them, but wages and prices are going up WAY to quickly. This will not end well….

What? This isn't on Disney they have been paying equal to, or less than, roughly what their competitors are paying. They have a hard enough time hiring and keeping entry level talent as it is.

Lilofan

This is the same argument we've read with negotiation for at least a dozen years, if not 20.

The company does need new blood, but if you believe this is a symptom of that, then the problem has been the same since Save Disney.

And maybe it has...
Word on the street is one of the front runners to take over TWDC when Iger leaves again is his friend, NBA Commissioner Adam Silver. Iger and Silver showed up at the grand opening of NBA Experience at Disney Springs a few years ago.

Fido Chuckwagon

Except the Galactic Starcruiser that is sinking like the titanic of course

I mean who could have seen that coming
Must have been the same group who brought the NBA Experience to Disney Springs
Galactic starcruiser would have been fine if they didn’t get so ing greedy with the price point. It’s sinking because they won’t admit defeat and price it at a reasonable (but still profitable) level. They wanted to make back those capital outlays immediately.

ohioguy

I agree. I am just suggesting for improved guest satisfaction, the Disney difference, is reflected by front line CM's, and increasing pay is not a long term solution for outstanding service.
Pay them more and they'll be happier, which translates to a better customer experience. Ta da!

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Look y’all this isn’t the government forcing something or some grand union plot. This is just Disney acknowledging what the going rate for labor is in Orlando.

I’m sorry that some of you are upset people will have dramatically higher standards of living, and that that will make “well to do” people’s luxury trips marginally more expensive.

Life is hard for those of us who can afford to drop $8-$20K on a vacation.

Patcheslee

Wonder how much health insurance premiums are going to cut into the raises. Think I read many pages ago they had negotiated health insurance as well.

eliza61nyc

Look y’all this isn’t the government forcing something or some grand union plot. This is just Disney acknowledging what the going rate for labor is in Orlando.

I’m sorry that some of you are upset people will have dramatically higher standards of living, and that that will make “well to do” people’s luxury trips marginally more expensive.

Life is hard for those of us who can afford to drop $8-$20K on a vacation.
It is hard, you seem to be under the impression that because someone can afford expensive vacations they were born with a silver spoon and just randomly came into their standard of living.
I'm not apologizing for my financial status nor am I responsible for the decisions or the comfort level that the front line employees have or don't have. I worked/sacrificed/groveled for an obscene portion of my life and made tough decisions to NOT stay in a dead end job.
I'm not upset at all, I really love the maternity leave allowance. I'm totally happy, I also know in 3 years they will be back once again blaming Disney for them not being able to afford an apartment.
So yes my life has been just as hard (I'd argue harder but that's for another thread) as any other jor or jane.
And no I don't think that I'm under some obligation to finance someone else's life just because I can afford nice stuff.
It's just another version of "tax the rich to make my life better"

Ayla

It is hard, you seem to be under the impression that because someone can afford expensive vacations they were born with a silver spoon and just randomly came into their standard of living.
I'm not apologizing for my financial status nor am I responsible for the decisions or the comfort level that the front line employees have or don't have. I worked/sacrificed/groveled for an obscene portion of my life and made tough decisions to NOT stay in a dead end job.
I'm not upset at all, I really love the maternity leave allowance. I'm totally happy, I also know in 3 years they will be back once again blaming Disney for them not being able to afford an apartment.
So yes my life has been just as hard (I'd argue harder but that's for another thread) as any other jor or jane.
And no I don't think that I'm under some obligation to finance someone else's life just because I can afford nice stuff.
A perfectly illustrated example of "I got mine, screw the rest of you." 🙄

CastAStone

It’s not a tax though it’s just the market rate for workers in central Florida.

eliza61nyc

A perfectly illustrated example of "I got mine, screw the rest of you." 🙄
Not at all, im just not a believer that because someone else has wealth or means to purchase certain things, they OWE someone the lifestyle or income they want.

the poster I quoted inferred ( and maybe I got it wrong) that somehow because someone spends 15K on a vacation they somehow have no worries or no stress and that they owe it to the cast members to make sure they get a livable wage because they are rich. no I don't know anyone who inherited their wealth, the people I know who have a lot of money worked stupidly hard for it and get to spend it any way they desire without being made to feel guilty

Last edited:

NelsonRD

Pay them more and they'll be happier, which translates to a better customer experience. Ta da!
And I will argue that is not correct. Better pay leads to short term satisfaction, and does not lead to improved job performance. Any boost in morale will only last a few months. Those who were not happy before, will revert back to that state months after.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Because there’s not many jobs left to move up to, most of our manufacturing jobs have moved overseas, partly because our unions drove wages too high to be competitive and partly because we’re competing with countries that don’t have unions so they pay next to nothing.
And now we move towards giving the same wages to unskilled labor as skilled? 🤷‍♂️

CastAStone

I still think that paying dishwashers $18 an hour is nuts..but what do I know...it just seems like moving away from union workers in all areas possible is inevitable.

We have created an interesting economy...
If you match up the roles that got extra increases with the roles they’ve had trouble filling it’s a 100% match. They haven’t been able to get dishwashers at $15 an hour.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom