News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

Smiley/OCD

Your student loans were like $20/semester and you could afford a home. My grandfather could afford a home screwing on friggin' toothpaste tubes.

I'm so tired of these ice cold takes from dinosaurs who have "got theirs" and have no experience being a recent grad entering the workforce. Society is an absolute scam for people who don't have rich parents or have already attained even moderate wealth, and hearing people who are actively pull up the ladder while speaking of hardships which have no basis in current reality is migraine inducing.
Yup, and maybe instead of spending 75k for a liberal arts or communications degree, go out to a good trade school or through your high school, apprentice and within 5 years, you could be making 100k/yr without school loans.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
What do college costs have to do with it? It's nice that you and your children are all getting an education, but be serious, do you need a four-year degree to work in customer-facing jobs at Disney World?
That's exactly the problem. People who racked up student debt are now demanding wages commensurate with their education for roles that don't require said education in the first place.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
The problem is that it was loosely enforced. I have 6 visible tattoos that were all okay while I was on my CP. The problem is that the rule is vague in a way, it basically says they have to be smaller than your hand, and can’t be offensive.
I wish it could be entirely subjective. There are enormous tattoos that look clean and professional, and there are small tattoos that look sloppy and gross.

A Samoan guy with a full sleeve tribal tattoo should be fine. But a janky, homemade, sloppily done "Deathly Hallows" tattoo should not be. And I saw multiple of those on my last trip.

Dranth

It’s a good thing every boss in this thread is spectacularly perfect, but it’s kind of surprising given how almost universally lackluster employees are. With that many greedy morons in the general population, you’d think some might become employers, but I guess not.
Just personally experience, but a large number of private business owners I have worked with have the mentality that their employees are basically stealing from them and honestly can't believe people expect raises, benefits, a competitive salary, etc. Not all, I have seen some pretty great ones too but there are a disturbing amount of the previous type.

Bit of a tangent but I don't think a lot of people who succeeded in life understand just how much luck plays a role as well. I get it, no one wants to hear anything that takes away from their hard work but it's true. You can have two similar people who make similar choices and both work their butts off and one ends up solidly in the middle class while the other is barely making it. Anything from new technology no one saw coming that makes that expensive degree less valuable to something as small as when you start investing can wildly swing the outcome.

MagicHappens1971

I wish it could be entirely subjective. There are enormous tattoos that look clean and professional, and there are small tattoos that look sloppy and gross.

A Samoan guy with a full sleeve tribal tattoo should be fine. But a janky, homemade, sloppily done "Deathly Hallows" tattoo should not be. And I saw multiple of those on my last trip.
I don’t really have a problem with seeing others tattoos, whether they be well done or not, but in a way I wish they would’ve just kept the no tattoos policy because it is kind of hard to enforce

lightningtap347

Yup, and maybe instead of spending 75k for a liberal arts or communications degree, go out to a good trade school or through your high school, apprentice and within 5 years, you could be making 100k/yr without school loans.
I have no problem with a student deciding to work through a degree they want. That's their choice, and may not end with a return they necessarily want.

I do have a problem with the system that has allowed our education system to decay so exponentially that these degrees are an outrageous price like that, and will never be mad at someone who wants to question that system.

lightningtap347

So you want less people going to college?
I'm seeing this blame pop up on behalf of a student who wants higher education, and not at a system that puts insurmountable financial stress on those who take on these degrees that do not match their value.
Rather than arguing to revise or change the system, I see people compare these people to suckers, and add a bunch of random tangential experience that would have no bearing on the student's individual experiences.

Comped

Nothing has changed or been walked back regarding tattoo guidelines
That's interesting - because I've been told the exact opposite by current CMs. Extremely open to interpertation and some in leadership tend to interperet it differently than others. Which de facto, means that it's been walked back on a somewhat individual basis.

The problem is that it was loosely enforced. I have 6 visible tattoos that were all okay while I was on my CP. The problem is that the rule is vague in a way, it basically says they have to be smaller than your hand, and can’t be offensive.
From what I was told by a coordinator who I'm mates with, that's 100% right - there's also content restrictions. No Trek or Potter for example (which was, alegeddly, an issue for some). But yeah, it's extremely vague. Unlike the rest of the Look guidelines (I have various versions of the handouts around in my hard-drive from over the years and it's fascinating but stringent).

Lilofan

Why do you want less people to achieve a higher level of education?
I have a 4 year college degree, started at entry level and moved up the food chain. Would I attend college if I rolled back time - No. I applied next to nothing what I learned in school to my roles. I started working at 14 when in school and I learned through hard work , developing relationships and going above and beyond through work. What college taught me was to live on my own away from my family.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
So you want less people going to college?

College as it currently stands isn't an economic necessity to live comfortably. It is however a prerequisite for some companies for some roles.

College as a transitory lifestyle package experience vs getting an education are quite different things. Colleges have no problem setting you on a course of study that might lead you to personal satisfaction but no one outside of academia or cocktail party conversation places any value on it.

Choices have consequences.

Smiley/OCD

College as it currently stands isn't an economic necessity to live comfortably. It is however a prerequisite for some companies for some roles.

College as a transitory lifestyle package experience vs getting an education are quite different things. Colleges have no problem setting you on a course of study that might lead you to personal satisfaction but no one outside of academia or cocktail party conversation places any value on it.

Choices have consequences.
This 100%

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Why do you want less people to achieve a higher level of education?
Define "higher education."

If higher education is job training to increase your future earning potential, then it's worth the financial investment but not worth four years of your life.

If higher education is to make you a better husband, father, citizen, human being, then it's worth four years of your life but not worth the financial investment.

The best undergraduate programs are both. Too many undergraduate programs are neither.

And it's "fewer."

Vegas Disney Fan

Can we not talk about these pointless extreme examples? It's not about the people who won't do anything or about the so-called people with unreasonable expectations.

We're talking about the average person who is willing and able to work full-time and wants a reasonable standing of living to go with it.

The extremes always get the attention. We all want CMs to have a roof over their heads and food in their bellies but that discussion ultimately leads to “what’s a reasonable standard of living”. Is it as extreme as having 4 roommates to help cover the bills, having 1 roommate to split costs, being able to afford your own studio apartment, owning your own home, or the other extreme of owning your own home and supporting a family on 1 minimum wage job?

That‘s the heart of the discussion.

As was said by others, it comes down to the skills you have, the value you provide to the company, and the going rate for that value/service in the marketplace.

If you want better pay and an elevated standard of living, you must learn/develop new skills that employers value. It really is not more complicated than that, unfortunately it just comes across as "harsh" or "mean", but financial reality is not always pleasant.

I think something that often gets overlooked in marketable “skills” is attitude and personality. You don’t need a college degree or decades of experience to be ”worth” more, especially when it comes to the customer service industry, I‘ve worked in Vegas for 20 years and I’ll hire a great personality over a college degree 90% of the time. Personality is the true value of a CM, some are worth far more than they are paid, some are worth far less, unfortunately they all get paid the same regardless of how well they perform the job.

Smiley/OCD

I have no problem with a student deciding to work through a degree they want. That's their choice, and may not end with a return they necessarily want.

I do have a problem with the system that has allowed our education system to decay so exponentially that these degrees are an outrageous price like that, and will never be mad at someone who wants to question that system.
I said many, many pages ago that college tuition and college profits SHOULD be one of the main (if not THE main political platform issues…the fact that neither side of the isle even brings up this talking point is disgusting. At the same time, it’s still ultimately personal responsibility to decide whether that career path is economically feasible to lead a financially successful life in the real world.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom