Disney World airstrip project?

djkidkaz

Original Poster
Chip and co is reporting that permits were filed for the airstrip on Disney property for about 30 acres. Any idea what the plan is here? Maybe getting it up and running again due to a lot of traveling between California and Florida with all the projects coming up?

peter11435

Chip and co is reporting that permits were filed for the airstrip on Disney property for about 30 acres. Any idea what the plan is here? Maybe getting it up and running again due to a lot of traveling between California and Florida with all the projects coming up?
I think it’s probably related the the project 89 support area

trainplane3

No way in heck the FAA would let them use that as a active runway again with the monorail that close...
I doubt it would ever reopen again, but the Epcot line runs nearly parallel to the runway and the largest aircraft would be small private jets or twin props. I wouldn't think the monorail would be a factor. And if it were an issue, you hold Epcot line operations for 10 minutes and then resume. This is all a well thought out guess, at least I think well thought out. But it's still a guess.

Again, I doubt the runway would ever reopen just because I don't see Disney requiring use of it.

It's probably for expansion to hold more construction vehicles/supplies.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

This is being reported incorrectly by a couple sites. I posted about it here:

https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...r-fort-wilderness.938671/page-15#post-8196288

If you dig far enough into the permit documents you find a mention that this is for Project 89 which is something being built near Fort Wilderness, likely a new resort. This permit is for an area to stage earth that will be used for Project 89.

Rteetz

This is being reported incorrectly by a couple sites. I posted about it here:

https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...r-fort-wilderness.938671/page-15#post-8196288

If you dig far enough into the permit documents you find a mention that this is for Project 89 which is something being built near Fort Wilderness, likely a new resort. This permit is for an area to stage earth that will be used for Project 89.
Screen Shot 2018-05-07 at 7.50.04 PM.png

Movielover

The nerve hub for Disney rumors, right here.

It’s what makes this site so amazing.

Part of me wants so much to see where we could take this rumor, like Disney is secretly dealing with the FAA to reestablish the STOL airsrtip as a exclusive access for the 0.000000000001% using golden Learjet's bought using the revenue from hotel parking...

But man seeing you guys work your magic to keep the truth is just too dang admirable!

K6AED.gif

DisneyCane

No way in heck the FAA would let them use that as a active runway again with the monorail that close...

Why? It isn't THAT close. It's almost 500 feet away at the closest point to the runway edge. There are buildings at MIA closer to the north runway than that and large commercial airliners use that runway every day. There aren't many (or any) incidents where a plane was misaligned with a runway that badly that an obstacle off to the side would come into play. Landing on a taxiway has happened but not shooting for the runway and missing the center by several hundred feet.

It doesn't really matter because they are not going to reopen the airstrip. There is no need. For faster travel, executives could fly into MCO and take a helicopter from there. They could easily put a helipad on the old airstrip or somewhere else on site.

Brad Bishop

I need help with this one, and I'm not a pilot.

Magic_Kingdom_Dr_-_Google_Maps.png

First, I think it's highly doubtful that the airstrip will open back up. That being said, I don't see how the monorail, which is below the tree line and a good bit away, would be a problem.

If the Monorail is a problem then wouldn't all of those trees be a problem first and, while I could see them mowing some of them down, I remember there always being a "tree border" between the road and the runway. I don't ever remember being able to look directly over at the runway.

Second, while not on the ground the Monorail isn't particularly high up in the air here. To me it'd be like planes not being able to land at major airports because there's a parking garage within 1mi of the runway.

Anyway, correct me if I'm wrong but I just don't see how the Monorail would have any sort of impact... Unless the lights on the top of the Monorail are too close and could be seen as confusing the pilot in adverse conditions.

ABQ

I need help with this one, and I'm not a pilot.

View attachment 282694

First, I think it's highly doubtful that the airstrip will open back up. That being said, I don't see how the monorail, which is below the tree line and a good bit away, would be a problem.

If the Monorail is a problem then wouldn't all of those trees be a problem first and, while I could see them mowing some of them down, I remember there always being a "tree border" between the road and the runway. I don't ever remember being able to look directly over at the runway.

Second, while not on the ground the Monorail isn't particularly high up in the air here. To me it'd be like planes not being able to land at major airports because there's a parking garage within 1mi of the runway.

Anyway, correct me if I'm wrong but I just don't see how the Monorail would have any sort of impact... Unless the lights on the top of the Monorail are too close and could be seen as confusing the pilot in adverse conditions.
There were far fewer trees back in 1973. Even when this picture was taken, then runway was already closed for operation.
Disney_FL_73Feb.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom