Disney with a baby at what age? advice??

StarWarsGirl

My youngest daughter made her first trip to WDW at 10 days old. Quite honestly, an infant is easier to deal with at WDW than a toddler. The number one thing to remember is you are on your child's schedule, not yours. As long as you do that, everything else tends to work out well as WDW is one of the best set up places in regards to child care. Every park has a baby care station with private rooms for nursing or to just get out of the hustle and bustle of the park.
Well, your daughter beats me, lol. But considering I was two weeks late, if my parents had planned that, it wouldn't have happened. I was being slow:rolleyes:

StarWarsGirl

I was 4 1/2 months old. My brother was 5 months old.

Remember rider switch passes! If you guys want to ride Space Mountain, for instance, you can go up, ask for a rider switch pass, and then one of you rides it while the other waits with the baby. Then, you flip.

Also, my mom went to Disney 6 weeks along with both me and my brother and rode everything. Depending on how far along you are, you may still be able to do some stuff.

meganw1985

We are taking our baby in July. He will be 10 months old. I think he will love it. But I am prepared to not be able to do EVERYTHING exactly like we usually do. My parents and sister are going with us too, so we will have help as well. He's pretty laid back (I'm a stay at home mom, which I think has made the most significant difference in his and my first son's temperments) and he LOVES lights, colors, toys, swinging, water, anything fun just gets him laughing.

One question I do have for anyone who might know: can we take a pool floatie for him at the resort pool and the water park? Like for the lazy river?

foreverbelle

We took our little one a year old. I know so many people that will say he won't remember and I know he won't but those where some of the best memories of him....just remember to go by their schedule, to take your time and to enjoy a much slower pace of the World than before.

CONGRATULATIONS and best of luck.

CalebsMom

I am taking my son in June for his first trip. He will be 14 months old. I can't wait! He is a big Mickey fan. I will have more tips after my trip :)

disneygirl1

First off congrats!!! My DS was 16 months old the first time we brought him to Disney. I would have brought him sooner, but fitting in a trip just didn't work out until then. Honestly it wasn't bad at all. You will take the parks at a slower pace and do things geared more towards the young one, but i was ok with that! I was just glad to be in DISNEY! One thing I will say is be mindful of the time of year you go. i.e. go during cooler weather times. It breaks my heart seeing an uncomfortable little one in the summer heat.

kimberlymautz

I was going to suggest 1 year. You want them to enjoy themselves, but you don't want them to be freaked out by the characters. Haha. CONGRATS!

Joshua&CalebDad

This is such a subjective question...every kid is different and (I stress this even more so) every parent is different. As long as your child is easy going, doesn't scare easily, and can take naps in loud places they will be fine at just about any age. However, if you as the parent tend to be a worrier, somewhat over protective, and are pretty strict when it comes to the child's schedule it might be better to wait until the child is older.

We took our oldest son right after he turned three and I tell you he remembered everything from the first trip. It was a year later and he was still talking about it and giving us pretty detailed descriptions.

We took our youngest son when he was just over 18 months and he did great. We pretty much kept him on his normal schedule as far as naps and eating. We would come in at rope drop, leave for lunch and mid day nap, and then go back in the evening for dinner inside the parks and generally stayed until 10 and 11, by which time he was sound asleep in the stroller.

Not every kid is the same so you need to be prepared for their reactions. Remember, Disney for a small child is definately an overload to their senses. On a different note here are some pictures of our youngest on his first trip. He did great with the character interactions (in some instances, better than his old brother), and made some awesome memories. I am such a proud dad.

Having fun with Woody & Jessie on Flickr

Drawing with Chip... on Flickr

Kristamouse

Would rather take an infant than a toddler or kid any day! When we started ours were 18 months and 6 months (they are a year apart). WDW is great for nursing and baby care in general, all bathrooms have changing stations, baby care centers are priceless and most attractions baby can do with you. We have 4 children and one due in September so I have taken babies at every age here are my suggestions:
Get a good carrier or wrap, please not a Bijorn, google the health issues they cause. We liked the Ergo and a mesh UVA/UVB wrap that is light weight and can do different holds. Park the stroller, wear the baby, much easier in the different lands.
Make sure your baby is out of the sun with a stroller shade, we have a sun shade attachment the completely covers the child but allows them to see out.
Get a stroller fan, oddly the Mickey one sold in the parks is cheaper and IMHO better than Babies R Us
Pack an extra onsie
Get the rain cover that fits your stroller, put it on when you open the stroller and roll it back. Trust me much easier to roll it on in place than fighting with it while getting drenched! Also line your stroller with a hotel towel, might keep your stroller cleaner and can be used for anything and everything. The poncho clipped on never seems to work, especially with any sort of rain
If baby is eating solids have goldfish or the like handy.
Over pack diapers
Test sunscreen on baby before you leave
Really go over your diaper bag for the parks and see what is needed. Less is less to carry!
Sure you might not get done what you used too, but you don't get done with anything like you used now that baby is here:)
Blessings for you and baby:)

tare

We waited until ours was a year and half. By then most kids are toilet trained ( or should be). So it is so much easier!!!!

Disnee4Me

Took our first DS at 16 mos in November '91. It was great ... he knew all the characters because they were on his crib, wall, ceiling, etc. Had a blast and it was quiet, so he got to see many characters and was not afraid of them at all. Second DS was 23 months ... he was just always a handful, still is at age 18 ... when do they stop being handful??o_O

DiSnEyF@n

1. We are expecting our first lo in February 2014... We are have our trip planned for August 2014 when he/she is 6 months old. Just know that you will not be going at your pace, but rather the baby's pace. Just remember to take breaks and enjoy yourself - even if you don't get to do all the things you want to do. :)

boilerpicc

My daughter's first trip was at 3 months and her second was at 15 months. The first trip was actually easier than the second, but she definitely enjoyed herself more on the second. When she was 3 months old, we just went around like normal, with some stops through the baby care centers (AK has the best rockers). She napped in her stroller, and it was easy. This time around, it was a lot harder to get her to fall asleep in the stoller. She also wasn't walking, so she got pretty heavy by the end of the days. We ended up going to the parks in the morning, doing a table service lunch while she fell asleep in her stroller, going back to the resort to let her finish her nap, then a round of swimming and back to the parks. It was harder to work around her schedule this time, but one moment made it all worthwhile. We found out that she definitely knows who Mickey Mouse is, and she was super excited to see him. Seeing that look on her face made all the naptime frustrations fade right away.

Figmentation

For me, I believe it depends on the baby as well.

My sister came with us this last June and she took her 5 month (at the time) with her. She was perfect, well almost. The only incidents came AFTER we get back to the hotel, and she was put in her rented crib. While she was in the parks, she was great. Never cried or got fussy, loved the disney characters, and we kept her well shaded and out of the sun.

Again, I believe it depends on time of the year and the type of baby you have... :)

boilerpicc

One question I do have for anyone who might know: can we take a pool floatie for him at the resort pool and the water park? Like for the lazy river?

You can take a float for the resort pool, at least at the Boardwalk. We just got back from a week there, and the lifeguards let us use her floatie. We went to Typhoon Lagoon, but we didn't take the floatie with us. They have kid size innertubes there for the lazy river that are not open on the bottom. They also have complementary life vests, with a few infant size ones. When we put our 15 month old daughter in the lazy river, we used a life vest and a kid tube. Most of the time, she played in Ketchakiddee Creek. That place was awesome! There were all kinds of places for her to crawl around (not walking yet), and she loved the little slides. The only downfall was that some of the areas had some slightly rougher concrete, so she scraped the top of her feet a little bit while crawling. Water shoes would completely fix that problem.

Fordlover

We were at WDW for the first time with a kid in Feb during the 1/2 marathon. Our daughter was ~18 months, and looking back I'm glad we waited till that age to take her. Watching her face light up while meeting Minnie and Daisy was a pretty great feeling. At 1 year old, she wouldn't have understood what was going on, but at 18 months she was able to say quack and point at Daisy.

My advice on Disney with a little one is that you really have to make the trip toddler focused. When my wife and I went in the past, we would plan out everything, and 'run' pretty hard the whole trip to squeeze in as much as we could. This Feb. trip was the first laid back trip we've ever taken to WDW, which meant leaving the park at 1PM every day for nap time, and really letting the 18 month old dictate what needed to happen next.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom