Disney Wish

Miss Bella

You all can say what you want to say about this post. Torch me if that makes you happy, just remember this is my impressions of the Wish. I am not a TikTok or YouTube creator. I am just an average Passholder and Disney Cruiser.

I have now completed my 7th Disney Cruise and I would recommend any other ship in the current fleet, but I cannot say this about the Wish sadly.

I have an idea after going on a 4-day cruise on the Wish during Thanksgiving week for what was supposed to be a holiday cruise.... put the ship into Dry Dock and spend about 1.5 billion dollars and fix this thing! The holiday theming was subpar at best....

Things they got wrong...
Senses spa has too much of a footprint. They could have done something better
Arendale is a wallpaper nightmare (Spotted missing pieces of said paper everywhere) and sits directly aft which is great but yeah you will notice it while you are eating, and 40 knot winds are pushing the boat around. Needless to say, Scandinavian themed food did not want to stay down.
2 Elevator banks (ugh, why) one bank which sits directly in the path of the Marvel dining location where everyone is standing and waiting for the doors to open to go eat. You can't use that bank of elevators to get on or off that bank of elevators on that floor when people are blocking the doors. I am not handicapped but this is a lawsuit waiting to happen.
Speaking of lawsuits waiting to happen....The adult pool...I'm sorry wait...the Adult Death Trap pool. Getting in and out of the pool is a straight ladder system that you must be in good condition to use. Do not under any circumstance use this pool if you are injured in any shape or form. If you are in that pool and alone at the time, you could not be in a worse spot to have a medical emergency. I also echo all that has been said about the adult area of the pool deck.

The flow of the ship feels like that there was a good direction from the imagineers but you get the feeling that some Accountant said, "Hey we need more concierge suites to make more money" and "Hey we need spaces for high end shopping". Speaking of this type of thinking, why would you make a ship based on an Entertainment company with one of the most generic entrances to its theater area? The Magic, Wonder, Dream, and Fantasy do a much better job with this area.

Oh and you can't schedule an appointment in the tangled salon for anyone below the age of 18 in the App or by calling. You have to go to the shop and schedule it there directly. This doesn't need dry dock to fix, it just needs thoughtful programming in the App.

The stateroom we had was dominated by 2 smoke detectors that flashed a red light in your eyes while you tried to sleep. A blue light emanated from the AC

Things they got right....
The quick service areas for food. The food was much better in these areas than anticipated. The barbeque was excellent.
The multiple coffee cafes worked great for me.
The Atrium is beautiful and very functional

The biggest thing they forgot to put into the boat? The magical feel....Earlier this year we went on the Wonder and it had that physical feel of Magic this ship didn't have that feeling or soul. Would I go back on the Wish in its current form? Not going to lie I love DCL but I would be hesitant to go back on this boat.
The Wish was my 29th cruise and I agree with just about everything you said. The ladder system in the pool wasn't an issue for me. I don't remember any unusual lights in the room. The design of the ship is just.....weird. The poolside food was an improvement for sure. The lack of running deck is by far the strangest thing I've ever seen on a cruise ship.

SplashJacket

I can understand why you might think that, but I can tell you from experience that there's nothing like watching a Women's World Cup soccer Final in the incredibly busy O'Gills! That was a crazy, amazing experience! :D
Oh yeah, Iā€™ve been among that packed Oā€™Gills environment plenty of times, but I know not everyone likes such a crowded environment.

SplashJacket

That it allows you to stream your own content from your device to the in-room tv. :oops:
I thought the same when I first read the headline. Like we could bring a Fire stick or something and watch our own Netflix account, for an up charge. When I read on and found it was to watch stateroom TV on my phone/tablet, I was instantly underwhelmed.

I guess it could have a purpose on a treadmill. Not sure if the Wish has TVs on the cardio equipment or not.
It was presented as something a bit usefulā€¦like you can bring a chrome cast or fire stickā€¦etc.
He probably thought that.
Ah I gotcha, I guess thereā€™s value in that. Iā€™ve never tried, but canā€™t you already do that? Not via streaming, but canā€™t you plug in your own device like a fire stick, Apple TV, chrome cast, or laptop via a cable and then play content directly or airplay or something similar.

Iā€™ve never checked the available ports on the TVs (especially not the wish) but I know people have ripped the ship recordings of the shows from the state room TVs and uploaded them to YouTube using some adapters and a laptop, so Iā€™m not sure.

sullyinMT

Spidey is affected by Pim Particles, but his suit isnā€™t? Or this is Peterā€™s first attempt at a suit before investing in Spandex or meeting Tony Stark? Or the original CM was out sick and the person filling in isnā€™t filling that suit out.

Good idea poorly executed.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
My wife had made the comment last week when we were on the Dream about wanting to be able to view info like the Bridge Report channel outside of our stateroom. I'm telling you, Disney has everything bugged. ;)

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"

Insightful review of the wish
I've been saying since the layout came out that the ship's inherent design would pose crowding issues, as it had narrow walkways and a lack of adult areas.

The dinner shows likewise look cringe like The Points Guy mentioned. Bright Sun Films said the same, and that they take away from both the food and especially the service. The Wish just looks like a sporadic mix of IP overload and uneven execution, while lacking the emphasis on the amazing service and quality passengers want out of DCL.

Like he said, I also don't travel with DCL to see "Mickey Mouse."

This experienced cruiser review provides further evidence of that. I have no intentions of sailing on the Triton-class ships if they're all like the Wish, but will continue to enjoy the exceptional Magic and Dream-class ships.

Last edited:

NelleBelle

I've been saying since the layout came out that the ship's inherent design would pose crowding issues, as it had narrow walkways and a lack of adult areas.

The dinner shows likewise look cringe like The Points Guy mentioned. Bright Sun Films said the same, and that they take away from both the food and especially the service. The Wish just looks like a sporadic mix of IP overload and uneven execution, while lacking the emphasis on the amazing service and quality passengers want out of DCL.

Like he said, I also don't travel with DCL to see "Mickey Mouse."

This experienced cruiser review provides further evidence of that. I have no intentions of sailing on the Triton-class ships if they're all like the Wish, but will continue to enjoy the Magic and Dream-class exceptional ships.
Totally agree. After reading and watching many reviews (and talking to a few friends who sailed on the Wish), I told my DH I have no desire to sail on the Wish. Iā€™m not a fan of the look of the atriumā€”I think it looks sterile. The adults-only pool section looks like an after thought. I donā€™t know that I could stomach sitting through that Marvel dinner at all. There seems too many things that just arenā€™t anything Iā€™m excited about. I adore the Dream and Magic-class ships. Hopefully they can fix some of these issues on the Treasure but these days, who knows.

donaldtoo

Weā€™ve cruised 4 times since Dec. of ā€˜17. 3 times on Carnival (which were all great), and once on the Disney Magic out of The Port of Galveston last December. It was a 5-night cruise, and it was a really good timeā€¦!!! :)
We went with our 3 grown children, SonIL, and 2 granddaughters. Very relaxing and fun for allā€¦!!!
The Wish just sounds like itā€™s more of a cattle car experience, which is completely unlike what Iā€™ve read (and experienced once šŸ˜‰) regarding DCLs famed service.
Again, our 5-night cruise on the Disney Magic was really good, and our oldest granddaughter canā€™t stop talkinā€™ about ā€œThe Mickey Boatā€ā€¦!!!!! šŸ˜…
We also got to experience a Palo brunch, surprise-gifted to us by our 3 kiddos and SonIL, which was truly amazingā€¦!!!!! šŸ˜‹šŸ˜€
Sounds like DCL really needs to take a step back and revisit their original business model.
Not sure how far along the Disney Treasure is construction-wise, but, hopefully, thereā€™s time to make some positive revisions, maybeā€¦?!
Itā€™s just hard for me to understand why you take a beyond well-respected industry-wide business model and make it lessā€¦?!?!?! šŸ¤”
You set the bar DCLā€¦if nothinā€™ else, raise it even more, you money-grubbinā€™ jerksā€¦!!!!! šŸ˜‚šŸ˜šŸ˜‰

Surfin' Tuna

Great review and spot on based on our sailing. We were excited to give it a try, and I did my best to remain open minded despite the reviews and word of mouth. We could not have been much less disappointed. I was still happy to be at sea and we still found moments to enjoy, but I can't think of a reason we would ever get back on the Wish. A couple of months after the Wish we were back on the Fantasy, and it solidified my thoughts of the older ships. Sure they are older and don't look as polished or modern, but they are leaps and bounds above the new offering. Like Donadtoo said, why would you take something great, change it, and "make it less?" Then again, I guess they have been doing that in the parks for a while now. Maybe we are the silly ones for thinking the cruise line was somehow immune. We have future cruises booked with DCL, but they are on the other ships. Let's just hope they keep all four of the others in service for a long, long time.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I find myself agreeing with most, if not all, of the above posts.

The biggest problem with the Wish? It was conceived and executed during Chapekā€™s time as P&R head. The lead architect had never been on a cruise ship prior to designing the Wish (per the NatGeo special), and itā€™s blatantly obvious. They took everything that made a DCL ship special and went in the opposite direction. Narrow walkways. IP overload. High-end shopping taking up an inordinate amount of space. Too small eateries, too many bars, and not enough seating. Elevatorsā€¦ donā€™t get me started. Grand Hall feel small. Running ā€œspaceā€ is atrocious. Adult area is ridiculously small. The Frozen dinner show was not good. The Marvel show was good but felt like thereā€™s too much to look at, and it took away your attention from the others at your table, making conversation almost impossible most of the time. 1923 is fantastic aesthetically, and the food was excellent as well. Dead ends. Confusing layout. Aladdin was a fantastic show, without a doubt. LM was good but not memorable, for some reason. Being on the Dream last week wasā€¦ well, a dream.

Thank goodness for meeting some new friends (and others in person for the first time), or our cruise would have had a much different feeling.

ToTBellHop

Wish was fine but thereā€™s a reason (actually, manyā€¦) why we just booked our placeholder on the Dream for next year. They really hit that sweet spot on the Dream-class. Bigger, more modern ship with more things to do but still a classy cruise experience that actually feels like a ship.

With a walking track and multiple hot tubs. Andā€¦whachamacallit? Oh, right. Space for people.

I still struggle to understand how Wish feels the way it does when it is bigger than Dream/Fantasy with the same guest count.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom