Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon

Banzai

Thanks A2, Dreamfinder and Ariel! I'm convinced. Sometimes, the details are all it takes to convince me. I've got a really bizarre work schedule so the only South Florida 10Ks that fit are 23 June and 22 Sep. The 23 June is a trail race but might be worth it anyway. I'll definitely do one of the two races in Sep. That will certainly be the better time.

Now. time to read those links from Ariel. Thanks again to all three of you.

Ariel484

Thanks A2, Dreamfinder and Ariel! I'm convinced. Sometimes, the details are all it takes to convince me. I've got a really bizarre work schedule so the only South Florida 10Ks that fit are 23 June and 22 Sep. The 23 June is a trail race but might be worth it anyway. I'll definitely do one of the two races in Sep. That will certainly be the better time.

Now. time to read those links from Ariel. Thanks again to all three of you.
I can sympathize...there aren't many 10Ks in my area either. My time that I submitted to Disney is from a 10-miler race I ran a couple of weeks ago (my brother has used times from the Gate River Run in the past, I think that's a 15K?). So it doesn't have to be a 10K, it has to be AT LEAST a 10K.

Keep in mind that you have to email your time to Disney by September 1:
runDisney said:
Please email your updated proof of time (include the race you registered for, your official race time, along with the year and name of the race) todisneysports@trackshack.com by September 1, 2013. After September 1, all proof of time updates must be made during the Expo at the Runner Relations booth.

Going to the Runner Relations booth at the expo isn't a big deal at all - I've done it for the past 3 races I've run at Disney and it's pretty quick and painless. Just bring a printout of your race results (or pull them up on your phone) and you're golden. However, it seems that they will be doing away with this ability to change corrals at the expo in the future, and the info above is pretty well buried in the Wine & Dine page on runDisney.com - it's a question in the FAQ section, whereas for the other races you can find corral placement information under the Registration tab. So I wonder if they haven't finalized their policy yet for W&D? Hmm....

a2grafix

Wonder how many runners are there normally who enter to race in the Wine and Dine Half? Can I expect close to 10,000? There were just around 10K entrants for the 2012 Tower of Terror 10 miler. Has to be a little bit less than the WDW Marathon and Half, and way less than the 17.5K entered to run the 2013 Disneyland Half.

Ariel484

Wonder how many runners are there normally who enter to race in the Wine and Dine Half? Can I expect close to 10,000? There were just around 10K entrants for the 2012 Tower of Terror 10 miler. Has to be a little bit less than the WDW Marathon and Half, and way less than the 17.5K entered to run the 2013 Disneyland Half.
I thought I heard ~14K runners registered last year. The results list 11834 "participants," so I guess that's the number of finishers. Hopefully it'll stay right around that amount.

Banzai

Over at Disneysportsnews.com, their original annoncement about registration opening cited 14,000 so that was probaby the cap.

a2grafix

So, show of hands here on this forum, how many WDW Magic members are committed to running the 2013 Wine and Dine Half Marathon? Maybe, like in other recent races, we can meet up somewhere at the sports complex for a little meet and greet and room to stretch before heading to the corrals. I went to a little meet and greet last year for the Tower 10 miler.

Hi my name is Tim and I'm running in the Wine and Dine Veterans Day weekend. Team RWB.

Banzai

Hey Tim. My real name is Mark but I go by either Mark or Banzai. My wife, Melissa, my son, Ash and I are all registered for the race. We'd definitely love a meet up

Banzai

The discounted rooms are filling up quick, too. We got into Port Orleans French Quarter. Interestingly, the tough night for booking was the Monday after the race. I guess the Veterans Day holiday is helping fill the resorts and park.

a2grafix

If you or someone you know was thinking about running in the 2013 Wine and Dine Half, you still can - through charity. St. Jude Children's Research Hospital has a St. Jude Hero charity fundraising program and that is being paired up with Disney and the Wine and Dine.

Imagine a race where hope marks the finish line. Make it a reality when you join us for the magical and memorable Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon Weekend. This is your opportunity to become a St. Jude Hero by fundraising as you train to help St. Jude Children's Research Hospital change the way the world treats childhood cancer and other deadly diseases.
Limited entries are currently available for St. Jude Heroes in the Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon.
As a St. Jude Hero, you will receive VIP benefits based upon the fundraising level you choose. Benefits may include, but are not limited to the following:
  • complimentary race entry
  • race weekend hotel stay in a Disney resort
  • event weekend airfare
  • St. Jude Heroes racing singlet
  • St. Jude gear

http://fundraising.stjude.org/site/TR/Heroes/Heroes?pg=entry&fr_id=4960

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I'm guessing the answer here is "No", but I thought I should ask anyway.

My fall trip to WDW just recently shifted it's dates a little bit, and we're now arriving the day after the Wine and Dine 1/2 marathon. I could easily shift my trip a few days earlier and make it for the 1/2 marathon, and I know that my father would actually love to join me and run it as well.

The problem is of course, the 1/2 marathon is full. I know that there are ways in through charity efforts, but I already did a big charity drive this year and don't think I could beg my friends and family again to donate for me. I don't think I'd move my trip and have my father make the trip down just for the 5k, but for a 1/2 I would.

I figured before I forget about it completely and do the old "I'll guess I will have to wait for another year", I'd ask if anyone knows if there are alternative ways to get a couple registration entries once it's filled up? Am I pretty much SOL until another year because I didn't figure this out until too late?

Ariel484

I'm guessing the answer here is "No", but I thought I should ask anyway.

My fall trip to WDW just recently shifted it's dates a little bit, and we're now arriving the day after the Wine and Dine 1/2 marathon. I could easily shift my trip a few days earlier and make it for the 1/2 marathon, and I know that my father would actually love to join me and run it as well.

The problem is of course, the 1/2 marathon is full. I know that there are ways in through charity efforts, but I already did a big charity drive this year and don't think I could beg my friends and family again to donate for me. I don't think I'd move my trip and have my father make the trip down just for the 5k, but for a 1/2 I would.

I figured before I forget about it completely and do the old "I'll guess I will have to wait for another year", I'd ask if anyone knows if there are alternative ways to get a couple registration entries once it's filled up? Am I pretty much SOL until another year because I didn't figure this out until too late?
Under the registration page for Wine & Dine there is a Travel Operator section. If you book through them I think you can get in. I've never done this before so I am not totally sure how it works, but I think this is the only non-charity, Disney-approved way. Good luck!

dreamfinder

Charity, Travel Operator as @Ariel484 posted, or cross your fingers and hope they open some slots up at the last minute. I believe at some races they have opened slots like a week before, I think from charities that didn't end up filling all their spots.

Under the registration page for Wine & Dine there is a Travel Operator section. If you book through them I think you can get in. I've never done this before so I am not totally sure how it works, but I think this is the only non-charity, Disney-approved way. Good luck!

You end up booking your vacation through the travel operator. And as part of the travel package, they include race registration. It tends to happen with destination races, surprised it took RunDisney this long to jump on board for more of their races.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom