Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon

Ariel484

Stinks the rental didn't come through but it is always neat to try a new resort. Watch out for the creepy jesters though! I totally understand your problem with the Will's schedule. My sis has been wanting to do a Disney race but she is a teacher too and has a hard time taking off. She is planning to do the marathon for her 40th Bday but it is going to be tough going to Disney just to run and then leaving. Those EE 5k prices are crazy! I don't think I would pay that either if I wasn't totally sure we could make it.
Yeah, I'm a little bummed. Shut out of VWL for the second time! I'm not surprised that BWV and BCV were all booked up (F&W festival and all that)...but I was hoping we could squeak into the Lodge. Sadness. At least it's cheaper this way.

YES, the creepy jesters. That's the one thing about this resort I'm not looking forward to. :eek:

EE is crazy is totally right! I guess it's so expensive because the after-party ticket is included...but W&D also includes an after-party and it's only $15 more than the WDW Half. And it's, you know...10 miles longer. Darn those teaching schedules, getting in the way of our Disney time! That's the reason why all of our race trips are so short - Will flies in Friday after school and takes a personal day on Monday. I know it's really tiring and not too relaxing for him, so I'm grateful that he does it. He's not allowed to string days together to make 4-days weekends...I imagine it's the same for your sister. :( Booooo.

LindsayLoves

Hooray indeed! :D Tell your husband about the Food & Wine Festival, maybe that'll hook him. :D Would your mom run with you or come purely as a spectator? I guess after this I really don't have any plans until marathon weekend 2015 either. You still have time to decide though...it just hit 80% full last night (I know because I was waiting to talk to Will about the trip and I kept refreshing the registration page and saw it just from 75% to 80%...I'm so lame) and the price increase isn't until mid-June, I think. I bet it'll fill up then.

My mom would not be running at all, even the 5k. The trick in bringing my mom is that she would definitely want to stay at a Deluxe which at this point neither of us are springing for at those crazy rates.

Stinks you didn't get approved to use those points but you do get to stay at a new resort which is always fun!

Ariel484

My mom would not be running at all, even the 5k. The trick in bringing my mom is that she would definitely want to stay at a Deluxe which at this point neither of us are springing for at those crazy rates.

Stinks you didn't get approved to use those points but you do get to stay at a new resort which is always fun!
That's rough. They are releasing the discounts later and later...I think the AP one that is out now goes through mid-August. We were really hoping for Wilderness Lodge this time around, so in a moment of ridiculousness I thought, "Hey, maybe we can just book a regular room even without a discount!" Yeah, not happening...it's almost twice as much as what we're paying for POFQ. I mean, I know it's a deluxe vs. a moderate...but we're trying to do this trip somewhat cheaply.

I'm kind of surprised the point rental didn't come through for Wilderness Lodge. I knew Boardwalk and Beach Club would be filled up for Food & Wine, but I was hoping Wilderness Lodge had slid under the radar. I guess I should have known better...it's one of the only deluxe host resorts and people probably booked with their points months ago. I'm looking forward to trying French Quarter though. :)

Ariel484

They've opened up voting on their Facebook page for the participant shirt!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.654318734594092.1073741830.139057592786878&type=1

#1: #2 (currently in the lead):

935139_654318747927424_1133733011_n.png
945237_654318754594090_20007191_n.png

I actually really like both of them...I'm a sucker for old-school Mickey. I think I like #2 a wee bit better but I'm happy with either, and I'm pretty anti-Facebook so I can't vote anyway. :) So I guess it'll be a black long-sleeved top (still unisex sizes, grrrr).

Kristia

Texas84

They've opened up voting on their Facebook page for the participant shirt!

I actually really like both of them...I'm a sucker for old-school Mickey. I think I like #2 a wee bit better but I'm happy with either, and I'm pretty anti-Facebook so I can't vote anyway. :) So I guess it'll be a black long-sleeved top (still unisex sizes, grrrr).

#1 is awesome artwork but it's too busy for a running shirt. I go with #2.

So tempted to go. Must save money...:confused:

Kristia

#1 is awesome artwork but it's too busy for a running shirt. I go with #2.

So tempted to go. Must save money...:confused:
Haha! I said this very same thing to my husband. When I first showed him the shirt, I said, "I want one of these!! Think we could swing a short weekend trip?!" Lucky (or unlucky depending on how you look at it) for him, we are signed up for a marathon the following weekend. Can't swing it this time.

a2grafix

Another week and another percentage. As of May 7, runDisney says the Tower 10 miler is now at 78 percent capacity, but for the first time, the Wine and Dine registration has surpassed and is at 80 percent.

Ariel484

Yikes, now the half is 91% full and the 5K is 51% full!

If you're on the fence about the half, sign up ASAP. It's going to close soon!

Banzai

You're right Ariel. I spotted that 91% today and jumped on it. I couldn't believe it went from 80-91 percent so fast. I've been dying to run this so I couldn't risk it filling up before next payday.

Being a newbie to runDisney makes this extra exciting for me. Besides, this just sounds dang cool. What a great way to get back into running.

Ariel484

I was thinking about running the W&D, but I'm leaning towards doing it next year for the 5th anniversary of the race.
I wonder how different the medal will be next year for the 5th? The current one is my favorite of the Disney medals next to the 20th anniversary marathon medal and the ToT medal. I did NOT like the change to the Princess medal for the 5th.

Mad Stitch

I wonder how different the medal will be next year for the 5th? The current one is my favorite of the Disney medals next to the 20th anniversary marathon medal and the ToT medal. I did NOT like the change to the Princess medal for the 5th.

Yeah, same here. I like the Spaceship Earth look of the medal and I would hate to see them go away from it with the 5th anniversary medal.

Texas84

Well, here's my decision point: If it's still open June 1 (not looking good) I'll sign up. If not, Savannah Rock & Roll.

Banzai

OK, you regulars, I'm wondering about the significance of corral placement. I'm not expecting a dramatic time anyway and I'm mostly running it for the fun of it. I'd be thrilled with 3 hours but I think that is a reasonable target. Do you recommend a 10K before the race?

Ariel484

OK, you regulars, I'm wondering about the significance of corral placement. I'm not expecting a dramatic time anyway and I'm mostly running it for the fun of it. I'd be thrilled with 3 hours but I think that is a reasonable target. Do you recommend a 10K before the race?
Yes, definitely. In theory if you submit a time you should be placed near runners running a similar pace to what you can do, so it should make things flow better (so less bobbing and weaving around). All Disney courses still bottleneck though...I think they are still trying to figure it out. And corral placement isn't perfect yet. You'll hear lots of stories of people walking right out of the gate in Corral B, for example.

Also, if you get in a higher corral you get to start sooner...so less standing around waiting to start and more time for the after-party! :D

Lastly, if you're a new runner it might be good to get some race-day experience at a race close to home. I say go for it!

dreamfinder

Definitely. At the minimum you should have done a run of that distance while training, so why not do it as a race? If for no reason other than the experience of doing races, as almost everyone ends up reacting differently at a race than they do during training. And when they assign the corrals, any submitted time under the required finish should get seeded before a runner with no time. And as Ariel484 said, each corral advanced is a good amount of time less you spend waiting. Figure waiting approx. 7 minutes for each corral from the first start. So if you are in the 7th corral, looking at 50 minute wait in the corrals at the start area, after the first runner goes. 7 minutes may not seem like alot, but after you woke up at 2:30, got off the bus at 3:30, and already spent 2 hours mostly hanging around either at the bag check area or in the corrals, plus however long once the race gets going, it makes a difference.

a2grafix

Definitely. At the minimum you should have done a run of that distance while training, so why not do it as a race? If for no reason other than the experience of doing races, as almost everyone ends up reacting differently at a race than they do during training. And when they assign the corrals, any submitted time under the required finish should get seeded before a runner with no time. And as Ariel484 said, each corral advanced is a good amount of time less you spend waiting. Figure waiting approx. 7 minutes for each corral from the first start. So if you are in the 7th corral, looking at 50 minute wait in the corrals at the start area, after the first runner goes. 7 minutes may not seem like a lot, but after you woke up at 2:30, got off the bus at 3:30, and already spent 2 hours mostly hanging around either at the bag check area or in the corrals, plus however long once the race gets going, it makes a difference.

And since this is a night run with the start time of 10pm, you have to be in your corrals by 9:15pm, I believe. I believe you are encouraged to be in the holding area by 8-8:30pm. So, yes, what Dreamfinder said, but for a night race if you are in one of the last corrals without a time, average 7-10 minutes for each corral to clear, you are looking at 49-50 minutes before you reach the starting line. If you are efforting to run in 3 hours, then you are likely to finish around 2am. The after party runs until 4am, I believe.

So it would be advantageous to test yourself out and enter and get a completed time in a 10K road race this spring and summer. This should also give you a ballpark of where you are at the half point and runDisney can place you correctly. Yes, I can attest I ran the Tower 10 miler in 2012 and never ran more than a 5K. I guessed at my time and landed in C corral. I thought I was okay, but as soon as I hit the starting line I was met with several walkers and ended up squeezing my way through and lightly jogging and zig-zagging from one side of the course to the other side just to get some breathing room. I finally got it at around mile 5. I noticed that Disney kept a running clock and that threw me off a little since I had just started and I was already 20 minutes behind the first flight of runners. I ended up running 1:52 and some change for the 10 miler, which wasn't that bad, but I was waiting in the bullpen, corrals, starting chute and on the course for over 3 hours.

Luckily I got to the holding area at Hollywood Studios and met with some WDW runners for a pre-meet thing, which was awesome! *Hint, hint*. Might be a nice diversion while waiting out the hours and getting away for a few minutes to relax and stretch.

Good luck and see you Veterans Day weekend!

Ariel484

After a bit of searching around I found some stuff from last year...these links took awhile to open on my computer but they're still live, and while there may be some change this year (example: the host resorts from last year's program don't quite match up with this year's host resorts), I would guess that most of this information from 2012 will be the same for 2013:

2012 Wine & Dine Half Marathon Weekend Program
2012 Wine & Dine Half Marathon - Final Instructions
2012 Mickey's Jingle Jungle 5K and Kids' Races - Final Instructions

It looks like during last year's W&D Half the race started at 9:58PM with the wheelchair races. After them there were 6 corrals (are the elites in with Corral A?!). So unless they really increased the capacity for this year's race (and OH MAN, I hope not :confused: ) I guess I'd expect the corrals/timing to be similar. So @Banzai you can see how someone in Corral F will be waiting around for about 2 hours since, like @a2grafix said runDisney wants runners to their corrals by 8:30ish or whatever. In my mind any time you can cut off of that wait will be helpful to you...less time to wait around and get stiff/cold, be nervous, etc. And more time for the finish line party!

Personally I'm hoping to magically land in B...or at least C. But who knows. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom