Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon

surfsupdon

Actually, the first few years, W&D was held in the beginning of October. The inaugural race was October 2, 2010. I remember missing the special fireworks for MK’s 40th due to the race being the same night.
That is an EXCELLENT point and I stand corrected!! I just looked at my medals and you sure are correct :)

Thanks for the clarification. Although my fav WineDine memories are still attached to the Christmas activities.

Figment82

That is an EXCELLENT point and I stand corrected!! I just looked at my medals and you sure are correct :)

Thanks for the clarification. Although my fav WineDine memories are still attached to the Christmas activities.

Haha no worries! I have fond Christmas-related memories of the race as well - especially the Osborne lights like you mentioned. In W&D’s infancy, I always associated it with taking away Race for the Taste. I loved that event!

thumper

Hi everyone - back from the W&D myself...first, congratulations to everyone! I'm sorry I haven't been online and was unable to meet up with you in Mexico..the joys of working for a charity - dealing with 88 different runners (along with problems and personalities!) makes me feel like Julie the cruise director during Wine & Dine weekend!

This year I stuck with just the half, and I struggled. Can't quite pinpoint what it was for me, but just had a hard time with this race. I lost a lot of time in AK, especially in Pandora. My Brooks were slipping and sliding on that pavement, and I actually made up for some lost time in the parking lot and road after AK (which is usually the dreaded miles I can't stand)!

10k'ers - you had some nice running weather! I was in the Cheer Stands (as most of our runners chose the 10K option this year)...and it was freezing/windy on that top bleacher! You may have seen our sea of green with green pom poms and cowbells :)

After party - no words - wearing flip flops in the rain, eating soggy Strudel in Germany, and then riding Soarin' 3 times in a row make for great memories! I did catch Taylor Dayne during the Eat to The Beat concert before the skies opened up, which made this 80's girl nostalgic!

It's good to be home, and hope everyone had fun while down in FL! This year I have only 2 good pics from Photopass (no great shots of me crossing the finish). I think I was more focused on finishing than smiling for the cameras. I did include one pic of our half marathon team in the lobby of CBR at 3 am (about 30 of us did the half/challenge; I'm the 2nd from right on the bottom row)! Until next year for W&D 2019 (next up for us is RnR NOLA in Feb 2019)!

teamsparrow.jpg

thumper

Great shots crossing the line @RunningKoen ! I won't even show mine - I was blocked by someone else's arms up in the air, and turned my head as I heard those two announcer guys mention Team Sparrow on my shirt...let's just say it was an "action shot" - LOL!

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Hi everyone - back from the W&D myself...first, congratulations to everyone! I'm sorry I haven't been online and was unable to meet up with you in Mexico..the joys of working for a charity - dealing with 88 different runners (along with problems and personalities!) makes me feel like Julie the cruise director during Wine & Dine weekend!

This year I stuck with just the half, and I struggled. Can't quite pinpoint what it was for me, but just had a hard time with this race. I lost a lot of time in AK, especially in Pandora. My Brooks were slipping and sliding on that pavement, and I actually made up for some lost time in the parking lot and road after AK (which is usually the dreaded miles I can't stand)!

10k'ers - you had some nice running weather! I was in the Cheer Stands (as most of our runners chose the 10K option this year)...and it was freezing/windy on that top bleacher! You may have seen our sea of green with green pom poms and cowbells :)

After party - no words - wearing flip flops in the rain, eating soggy Strudel in Germany, and then riding Soarin' 3 times in a row make for great memories! I did catch Taylor Dayne during the Eat to The Beat concert before the skies opened up, which made this 80's girl nostalgic!

It's good to be home, and hope everyone had fun while down in FL! This year I have only 2 good pics from Photopass (no great shots of me crossing the finish). I think I was more focused on finishing than smiling for the cameras. I did include one pic of our half marathon team in the lobby of CBR at 3 am (about 30 of us did the half/challenge; I'm the 2nd from right on the bottom row)! Until next year for W&D 2019 (next up for us is RnR NOLA in Feb 2019)!

View attachment 325735

I recognize that shirt! Saw lots of you on the course.

I agree, trying to run on the slippery pavement of Pandora was a major problem - my Brooks were slipping and sliding. This was my slowest half, for many reasons.

Yeah, the 10K was perfect running weather. Wish all races could be like that.

I bailed after the meetup...was tired and my right knee was bothering me. Had to stop at the medical tent around Mile 9 and slather biofreeze on it. Noticed when I got back to my room after the race I had big globs of green goo all over my nice purple Brooks. ☹ Plus the thought of getting rain water in my beer wasn't appealing.

We're talking about doing a meetup during Marathon weekend. If you're running and can, please join us. Haven't decided just where and when. But check the Marathon thread for details as we get closer to the race.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I haven't even looked at my photos yet. Most of those along the course are probably of me looking down.

dreamfinder

Find it interesting that there were more than twice the number of women than men running both the 10k and Half.

Alot of the runDisney events attract more women than men.

Actually, the first few years, W&D was held in the beginning of October. The inaugural race was October 2, 2010. I remember missing the special fireworks for MK’s 40th due to the race being the same night.

The first 5k had a pumpkin medal, and the registration cost actually included tickets to MNSSHP. I seem to recall the cost of the race including party ticket costing the same as the 5k does right now. Funny how that works.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
I love the dress you wore for the 10K. Are those dresses specifically made for running or did you just wear running shorts under a dress?

ETSY is awesome - I started putting together my outfits for Princess this weekend.

I don't think they're specifically for running but I got that Joy dress like 4 years ago and it's made of running/spandex-y material so it works and I bought the other 2 for last weekend.

RunningKoen

I downloaded the finishers certificates, but they totally failed the placement due to my long last name. The last letter 'fell' off and is positioned so weird ..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom