News Disney will be ending complimentary MagicBand distribution to Disney Resort hotel guests and moving to smart devices

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
LOL I had to upgrade my smartphone already when they changed the app....and NOT doing apple, sorry. I forked out for a cute Dooney and Burke magic band years ago and brought my free ones along but usually wore same one I love. SO am glad they will still allow MB's for the near future, loads cheaper than forking out for a new phone or watch.... like to be unconnected as much as possible from my phone on vacation.....sure I use it for fastpasses, to check wait times etc....but can see down the line as I age I will likely be forced to switch to iPhone usage..... :rolleyes:

Figments Friend

For those few rare individuals like myself who -

- do not own a 'smartphone'
- prefer to not carry a tablet or other 'digital device' around during a theme park visit
- Do not wear or endorse 'MagicBands'

You can always do what I do - request a RFID chip card when you check in to your Disney Resort.
I've done this twice with my two most recent visits with no issues....most recent visit being September of last year.
Tap your plastic card to enter your room, Park admission, FP redemption, and even pay for items ( if you so choose, I don't personally ).
Yes, just like it used to be pre-'MagicBand' era.
It's bliss.

You can also use a old Resort key card from a past visit ( I've had the option to do this also when declining 'Bands' ).
So if Cast try to tell you they don't use or offer cards anymore, whip out your old key and they CAN reactivate it.
This is for Resort hotel key cards with RFID capabilities issued over the last couple of years....not older 'Key To The World' cards or Park only admission cards.

Just thought I'd add this...
Cards are another option.
Another ( little known ) benefit for those staying 'On Property'.

:)

-

Last edited:

John park hopper

- prefer to not carry a tablet or other 'digital device' around during a theme park visit

You can always do what I do - request a RFID chip card when you check in to your Disney Resort.
I've done this twice with my two most recent visits with no issues....most recent visit being September of last year.
Tap your plastic card to enter your room, Park admission, FP redemption, and even pay for items ( if you so choose, I don't personally ).
It's bliss.

You can also use a old Resort key card from a past visit ( I've had the option to do this also when declining 'Bands' ).
So if Cast try to tell you they don't use or offer cards anymore, whip out your old key and they CAN reactivate it.
This is for Resort hotel key cards with RFID capabilities issued over the last couple of years....not older 'Key To The World' cards or Park only admission cards.

-
You are not alone

JohnD

Doesn't affect me. I've gotten to the point that I have too many MBs anyway whether complimentary or paid for and both Phase 1 and Phase 2.

lazyboy97o

I’ve never once heard of an instance where they used data from the bands to research and make improvements. Part of me thinks that’s just because our insiders aren’t really friends with people in that department, and part of me thinks that’s because said department is so tiny or straight up doesn’t exist.

If I were in charge I wouldn’t let an ounce of that go to waste.
The “improvements” that were to be made were things like shuffling people so as to avoid the major expense of adding capacity to the parks or only having just enough staffing. Disney thought they could make the parks more crowded and people would spend more because they had so pre-booked FastPasses and a wristband that was fun to buy stuff with.

There is a mountain of mixed up issues floating around in this thread. The massive investment Disney made was not for Magic bands but for the entire infrastructure of My Disney Experience which includes hotel reservations, FP+, Dining Reservations, swapping out turnstiles to tapstiles at the gates, Replacing every single room key reader on the property, replacing every single payment terminal on the property, and so much more.
The MagicBand is nothing more than the physical tool needed to gain access to that platform and the entitlements you have purchased for your visit.
The MagicBands were supposed be the direct means of getting a return on that investment by promising to delivery double digit growth in revenue.

I do not own Apple products (personal choice), so I guess I will be using my cell phone and my data because Disney wifi stinks.
LOL I had to upgrade my smartphone already when they changed the app....and NOT doing apple, sorry. I forked out for a cute Dooney and Burke magic band years ago and brought my free ones along but usually wore same one I love. SO am glad they will still allow MB's for the near future, loads cheaper than forking out for a new phone or watch.... like to be unconnected as much as possible from my phone on vacation.....sure I use it for fastpasses, to check wait times etc....but can see down the line as I age I will likely be forced to switch to iPhone usage..... :rolleyes:
There is no requirement to use an Apple device...

Rob562

-

Look on the back of the card for the "MyMagic+" symbol: a Mickey head inside a circle. That indicates that card is RFID capable and can be used for the same tap-to-use functions that you'd use a MagicBand for.

Your cards may already be linked and available in your MDE profile. Just look for them under "My MagicBands & Cards". If you've ever bought a physical ticket separate from a WDW package reservation (like a ticket through a reseller) and then linked it to your account, it's listed and ready to use.

Edit: Here's a shot of part of my Bands & Cards list. (I was cleaning up my account and marked most cards as Inactive, but I can easily reactivate them individually if needed)

sketch-1592603391031.png

-Rob

Last edited:

Amused to Death

I am not going to feel comfortable doing that, not with my iPhone. I don’t tap my phone for anything, there is a lot of personal information on my phone and I don’t want to risk my information.
To be sure! The very second you tap your phone at Peter Pan, Disney is going to download your Contacts list, your Calendar appointments, your bank accounts, passcodes, etc., and they'll be selling any naked pics they find in your photo albums to Buzzfeed. Don't do it! No way! No how! 😂

Amused to Death

I, for one, have never liked the Tragic Bands. I've got my Annual Pass in my wallet, which they require any time I ask for a discount, anyway, and I just hold my entire (mini) wallet up to the touch points. Boom. Done. I'm not one for wanting integrated charging privileges either, because I use different credit cards for different purposes in order to get the most back in cash rewards.

I will happily tap my phone or watch. And, no, I'm not worried about breaking the glass on my watch.

Southglengarry

That is disappointing. MagicBands > cell phones at WDW for several reasons:
  • Children without cell phones can use MagicBands.
  • MagicBands don't need to be charged.
  • MagicBands are all waterproof.
  • MagicBands are a tangible reminder of the Disney difference. They remind you that WDW isn't a normal place where you pay with your cell phone or a credit card; rather, there is something fun and "magical" about using a MagicBand to enter rides, pay for meals, or open your room. It might sound silly, but this is part of the reason why people are so sad to take them off at the end of their trip.
  • They reduce the need for cell phones. The best times at WDW are when you're free of distraction from the outside world and you can be wholly immersed in the environment. Cell phones—with social media, work emails, etc.—work against that immersion. I think any new plan that encourages guests to use their phones more is a step in the wrong direction.
Excellent post! The more these unique and Disneyeque elements disappear the more I will seek other venues.

Pirate Magic

Excellent post! The more these unique and Disneyeque elements disappear the more I will seek other venues.

You are so right. Also why should I let Disney have me use my cellphone to get into their parks which is very expensive to begin with. This is my phone that I pay for. Up until this past year I was the only one in my party with a smartphone and one person in the party doesn’t have a cellphone at all.

What happens if there is a glitch with My Disney Experience and the cellphone, is Disney going to tell me it’s my phone not their system? We have all been on the end with either a Magic Band or a My Disney Experience glitch.

Disney started the Magic Bands in 2013 ( we were part of the soft opening) which is about 6 years with the improvements of cellphones Disney has been far behind with the Magic Bands and has not been able to fix the bugs these bands have had over the years. And now they want me to trust them with my cellphone and all my information so it will be cost affective to them. So if I don’t use my cellphone or get a discounted Magic Band my reward is a Key to The World card. Isn’t that going backwards? Shame on you Disney, I hope you are reading this.

RSoxNo1

For those concerned about using your phone or watch at the touchpoints it does seem like you will have the option of using your key to the world card or purchasing a magic band.

csmat99

That is disappointing. MagicBands > cell phones at WDW for several reasons:
  • Children without cell phones can use MagicBands.
  • MagicBands don't need to be charged.
  • MagicBands are all waterproof.
  • MagicBands are a tangible reminder of the Disney difference. They remind you that WDW isn't a normal place where you pay with your cell phone or a credit card; rather, there is something fun and "magical" about using a MagicBand to enter rides, pay for meals, or open your room. It might sound silly, but this is part of the reason why people are so sad to take them off at the end of their trip.
  • They reduce the need for cell phones. The best times at WDW are when you're free of distraction from the outside world and you can be wholly immersed in the environment. Cell phones—with social media, work emails, etc.—work against that immersion. I think any new plan that encourages guests to use their phones more is a step in the wrong direction.
You can still use magic bands those aren't going away. You now just need to keep ones you had before or purchase new ones. I'm assuming they will still discount them when making reservation.

Disney Analyst

You are so right. Also why should I let Disney have me use my cellphone to get into their parks which is very expensive to begin with. This is my phone that I pay for. Up until this past year I was the only one in my party with a smartphone and one person in the party doesn’t have a cellphone at all.

What happens if there is a glitch with My Disney Experience and the cellphone, is Disney going to tell me it’s my phone not their system? We have all been on the end with either a Magic Band or a My Disney Experience glitch.

Disney started the Magic Bands in 2013 ( we were part of the soft opening) which is about 6 years with the improvements of cellphones Disney has been far behind with the Magic Bands and has not been able to fix the bugs these bands have had over the years. And now they want me to trust them with my cellphone and all my information so it will be cost affective to them. So if I don’t use my cellphone or get a discounted Magic Band my reward is a Key to The World card. Isn’t that going backwards? Shame on you Disney, I hope you are reading this.

See this post.

It's bliss.

-

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom