Disney vs Universal - what's your feedback?

trixie21

Hi everyone! I have been to Disney many times but never Universal. Some of my friends who have attended both are saying Universal is better. What are your thoughts? As far as food comparison, ride comparison, crowd comparison etc. I have 2 kids DD 7 & DS 9 who love Harry Potter and Disney.

tizzo

It's surely a matter of personal opinion, but I just don't like Universal.

Express Pass, they're answer to FP, is virtually useless. They sell them in gift shops and to hotel guests, and whatever they sell comes out of the pool available in the machines, and the result is that the EPs for even the less popular rides were gone very early in the day. (Note that the last time I was there was years ago.)

That said, they do have some pretty spectacular attractions. And Harry Potter will definitely be a game changer. I'm personally not a fan, but I don't see how someone who is could stay away.

Upvote 0

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
It's a different experience.

Universal has some large aggressive coasters and a few non-coaster attractions that I would say are Disney standard - T2 3D, Twister, Spiderman, Men in Black, Jaws, Rapids.

They don't have anywhere near the amount of live entertainment. Parades and fireworks are only seasonal.

Service isn't close to Disney. You will encounter far fewer staff, and on the whole, they are not as good as the Disney cast.

Food options are not as extensive as Disney, due to there being far fewer restaurants.

Crowds tend to be less than Disney in my experience.

You will certainly find things that you don't like about Universal compared to Disney, but you'll also find some things you do like. I would give it a go and see what you think.

Upvote 0

trixie21

Original Poster
Thanks for your feedback - my heart belongs to Disney and I know my kids would have fun. Some of the rides have way too high height restrictions - i don't want a day of tears for the kids!

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Universal is a whole different experience, and nothing can compare to Disney (for me). That being said, Universal is getting more and more of our vacation time each year. We went from spending no time there, to spending 2 days, to spending 3 days this coming August. The 3 on-site hotels are awesome. The express plus advantage you get at Universal far outweighs any benefit Disney has. City Walk crushes Pleasure Island and the West Side. Universal Studios itself is much better than DHS. There's a few cool rides at Islands of Adventure, but it can't compare with MK, Epcot or DAK for me. I'm also not a huge coaster junkie.

Bottom line - Disney is Disney, and we all know and love it. But Universal has done a fantastic job with their parks, resorts, nighttime entertainment, and atmosphere. It's a beautiful, fun place to spend a few days.

As for the staff, I agree - Disney's is better, except for the resorts. The best service we've had at any resort was at Universal's Royal Pacific.

Upvote 0

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
City Walk crushes Pleasure Island and the West Side. Universal Studios itself is much better than DHS.

I see a few people say this. So I am curious, what makes you say that? To me, they are both very very similar, with Disney having a nice advantage that you don't have to pay to park and has more dining options.

Upvote 0

Wilt Dasney

I see a few people say this. So I am curious, what makes you say that? To me, they are both very very similar, with Disney having a nice advantage that you don't have to pay to park and has more dining options.
It probably depends on what you're looking for. Since Disney has willingly removed itself from the nightlife scene, anyone looking for after hours entertainment is going to prefer CityWalk by default.

Upvote 0

krankenstein

They are two completely different experiences and I love them both! I think Universal provides an experience equal to what you find at WDW. I also think that the counter service food is typically better than what you find at WDW.

Go, but expect them to be 2 completely different things. If you are not constantly comparing Disney and Universal, you might have a good time.

Upvote 0
UO is OK....I really wanted to see the Harry Potter world while we are down in FL this July...got a fantastic TA rate on the room....but 1 day 2 park UO tickets are $472 for my family of four! IMO that is ridonkulous. It's half way to buying 8 day hoppers for the three people in my family that need WDW tickets.

We did UO a few years ago..stayed at Portofino Bay..while it was fun...it got boring after 2 days.

D

Upvote 0

timeman

I like both Universal & Disney. Universal Studios does offer some shows and rides that everybody should be able to do. The attractions that everybody should be able to do is Shrek 4-D, Jimmy Neutron, ET, Jaws, Twister and maybe even MIB and the Simpsons. Shows that they have at Universal Studios that are fun to see are T2-3D which is a mixture of live action and 3D, The Horror Make-Up Show, Beetlejuice's Graveyard Review, and the Blues Brothers.

Islands of Adventure has more coasters that do have a height requirement your children may not meet. They may be able to ride the Amazing Spider-Man ride and the rides in Seuss Island section. They may be able to do the water rides in Toon Lagoon and Jurassic Park areas. The only rides that will be in the new Harry Potter section will be the Dueling Dragons coasters which is being renamed dragon Challenge and Flight of the Hippogriff which was Flight of the unicorn. the height requirements of these should stay the same. The only new ride in the Harry Potter section will be the dark ride that they are putting in Hogwarts castle. They haven't announced a height requirement for this ride yet, but rumor is that it will be around 56".

There are two shows in Islands of Adventures that you can check out. The first one is The Eighth Voyage of Sinbad which is a stunt show and Posiedon's Fury which is a walk through show.

I enjoy Universal as it is different then Disney and isn't trying to be Disney. You can get the Express Pass which costs different amounts depending on the time of year and allows you to skip the regular lines once per ride.

Upvote 0

krankenstein

UO is OK....I really wanted to see the Harry Potter world while we are down in FL this July...got a fantastic TA rate on the room....but 1 day 2 park UO tickets are $472 for my family of four! IMO that is ridonkulous. It's half way to buying 8 day hoppers for the three people in my family that need WDW tickets.

We did UO a few years ago..stayed at Portofino Bay..while it was fun...it got boring after 2 days.

D

To be fair, 2 adult and 2 children 1 day park hoppers at WDW would cost you $502.00.

Upvote 0

tnemgif

My family went to Universal a few years ago, and while I enjoyed it, the rest of my family didn't enjoy it much. Universal had a larger ratio of thrill rides, so there wasn't much that interested my family. Islands of Adventure is a beautiful park, though - I would argue on level or higher than Disney's standards. We just found that the rides were geared for either very young children (carousels, 'kiddie coasters,' etc) or for teens (large, inverted coasters and water rides). I will admit that we had done everything after only a day and a half, and were missing Disney at the end of our stay. The fireworks were a HUGE disappointment for us too.

Overall, I would suggest that if you're remotely interested in going, you might want to plan at least a 1-2 day visit. It's worth seeing and I don't think you will be disappointed if you go!

Upvote 0

captainkidd

There's no contest. Notice I left the Marketplace out, as I love the atmosphere and restaurants there. As for Pleasure Island and West Side, forget it.

Planet Hollywood - Hard Rock Cafe = Hard Rock wins
Then you've got Bongos (crap), House of Blues and Paradiso whatever it is. CityWalk has Nascar Grille, NBA City, Pat O'briens, Margaritaville, Bubba Gump, Latin Quatrer, Pastamore, Emeril's, Bob Marley's, Red Coconut.

The whole vibe is a fun, lively one at CityWalk. The shops are much better than at PI and West Side. The live entertainment is better.

Upvote 0

NemoRocks78

Seized
There's no contest. Notice I left the Marketplace out, as I love the atmosphere and restaurants there. As for Pleasure Island and West Side, forget it.

Planet Hollywood - Hard Rock Cafe = Hard Rock wins
Then you've got Bongos (crap), House of Blues and Paradiso whatever it is. CityWalk has Nascar Grille, NBA City, Pat O'briens, Margaritaville, Bubba Gump, Latin Quatrer, Pastamore, Emeril's, Bob Marley's, Red Coconut.

The whole vibe is a fun, lively one at CityWalk. The shops are much better than at PI and West Side. The live entertainment is better.

Amen. CityWalk dining > DTD dining any day of the week. It isn't a contest (even with Marketplace included).

Upvote 0
To be fair, 2 adult and 2 children 1 day park hoppers at WDW would cost you $502.00.

Yah...I know...you're right with that....but there is too much to see and do at WDW to just do one day...where as at UO one day is enough. :( I cannot see buying their 7 day tickets for us. We had FOTL when we were there...and we had a fun day or day and a half...but then the fun was over and we were all looking at each other thinking WHEN CAN WE CHECK OUT and head to WDW? :ROFLOL:

D

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Yah...I know...you're right with that....but there is too much to see and do at WDW to just do one day...where as at UO one day is enough. :( I cannot see buying their 7 day tickets for us. We had FOTL when we were there...and we had a fun day or day and a half...but then the fun was over and we were all looking at each other thinking WHEN CAN WE CHECK OUT and head to WDW? :ROFLOL:

D

With FOTL, you don't need more than a couple days at Universal. However, the resorts are all beautiful and have fantastic swimming pools. That's a nice day in itself.

Upvote 0

krankenstein

D

I completely understand, but I wanted to put it out to all the people who will claim Universal is charging way too much. :lol:

I am much the same way. I am currently averaging between 5 and 6 trips to WDW a year with one including Universal. I enjoy both, but after about 4 days at either, I am ready for a change. :shrug:

Fortunately, the 1 Universal trip a year is about to change. I'm finally getting another Uni AP after about 4 years. HP has made it appealing again. :D

Upvote 0

fredrickr

It's surely a matter of personal opinion, but I just don't like Universal.

Express Pass, they're answer to FP, is virtually useless. They sell them in gift shops and to hotel guests, and whatever they sell comes out of the pool available in the machines, and the result is that the EPs for even the less popular rides were gone very early in the day.

The Express Pass can cost anywhere from $19.99 to $49.99 per adult ticket per day. The price is based on forecast demand for admissions on any particular day. The EP works similarly to FP however it allows only one ride per attraction.

The Meal Deal is the biggest rip-off. Yes you can eat all day, but only 3 or 4 restaurants in each park. Meal Deal includes entree, a side and dessert. The dessert is not one of the desserts listed on the menu, but are a choice of 2 types of cake. Beverages are not included with the Meal Deal.

All I can say is been there, done that. Sticking to Disney next time.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom