Disney vs. The Others

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Original Poster
I am leaving Sunday on our first ever non-Disney Cruise (Holland America). I know I am going to be comparing everything with the Disney Magic and Wonder. I will let everyone know how it went when we get back after seven days. Any thing I need to know before I go?

Pastgrand

You will be disappointed with the service and all that DCL has spoiled you on. Believe me. After 7 other cruise lines, you really see thatDCL does it best

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Original Poster
Just got back today and I have to say Disney won overall, but there was some things I like better. To later today to write much, but will try to get something posted tomorrow.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Original Poster
Here is a brief overview. DCL Magic vs. HA Nieuw Amsterdam

First - Wave Phones - Disney yes/Holland america no - Every ship should have them.
Ships - About the same size - both great look
Boarding - Disney was best by far. Terminal at Holland America looked like a warehouse
Cabin - tie
Baths in Cabins - Disney - if you have the split bath
Cabin Service - Disney made me feel more at home
Balcony - Holland America where larger
Food Quality - Tie
Dining Service - Disney by a land slide
Dinning Rooms - Disney by a big amount. The three dining rooms on a rotation is so far above Holland America. Same every night
Things to do on board - Disney - Holland America was very "old time" crusie ship (built in 2010) without any of the stuff like Big TV at the pool, slide at pool, etc. But the cooking class on Holland America was outstanding.
Bars - Holland America had more quiet areas and small bars to sit have a drink, visit, read a book, etc.
Entertainmnet - Disney all the way.
Kids - did not have any on board
Shopping on board - Holland America had more shopping and lots of daily sales.
Library - Holland America
Did not make it to Half Moon Cay due to the weather did noy allow tenders to bring people to shore. So Disney wins because of dock.

Overall - I will go back to DCL, but can not say yes or no about HAL

StageFrenzy

Here is a brief overview. DCL Magic vs. HA Nieuw Amsterdam

First - Wave Phones - Disney yes/Holland america no - Every ship should have them.
Ships - About the same size - both great look
Boarding - Disney was best by far. Terminal at Holland America looked like a warehouse
Cabin - tie
Baths in Cabins - Disney - if you have the split bath
Cabin Service - Disney made me feel more at home
Balcony - Holland America where larger
Food Quality - Tie
Dining Service - Disney by a land slide
Dinning Rooms - Disney by a big amount. The three dining rooms on a rotation is so far above Holland America. Same every night
Things to do on board - Disney - Holland America was very "old time" crusie ship (built in 2010) without any of the stuff like Big TV at the pool, slide at pool, etc. But the cooking class on Holland America was outstanding.
Bars - Holland America had more quiet areas and small bars to sit have a drink, visit, read a book, etc.
Entertainmnet - Disney all the way.
Kids - did not have any on board
Shopping on board - Holland America had more shopping and lots of daily sales.
Library - Holland America
Did not make it to Half Moon Cay due to the weather did noy allow tenders to bring people to shore. So Disney wins because of dock.

Overall - I will go back to DCL, but can not say yes or no about HAL

Sorry if I seem like I am grilling you but...

I was looking forward to your review and you didn't disappoint, I'm confused by the "old time cruise ship". What about value, Disney is a premium product with a premium price. Is Holland America cheaper or do you get good returns for the price? So you do not rotate restaurants on HA, on Wiki it says there is 3 restaurants? Was there a spa/fitness area, did you make it in there?

Finally are you a cruise guy now and are you planning your next cruise?

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Original Poster
Sorry if I seem like I am grilling you but...

I was looking forward to your review and you didn't disappoint, I'm confused by the "old time cruise ship". The ship is new, but the company does not add a lot of things that other new ships have such as minature golf, climbing walls, etc. Holland America seems to have more retired people cruising. I am 57 amd I was one of the younger people on the ship, The ships are more tradishtional vs contemperary.

What about value, Disney is a premium product with a premium price. Holland America is the premium line of the Carnival Comapny

Is Holland America cheaper or do you get good returns for the price? Holland America is about the same price as Disney

So you do not rotate restaurants on HA, on Wiki it says there is 3 restaurants? It has three retaurants but two of them you pay an additional charge like Palo

Was there a spa/fitness area, did you make it in there? My wife did go and like it more than on Disney.

Finally are you a cruise guy now and are you planning your next cruise? This was our third cruise and am hooked, Planning on one late next yeaar.

Thanks for asking!

WDW1974

DCL does a lot of things great. They are my favorite line in their market segment, although I don't believe they are worth the premiums people pay.

For example, most folks will pay more for a four night Disney Dream cruise then I'll pay for a 14-night transatlantic with Celebrity ... and, sorry, but foamheads, the ability to trade pins onboard and Castaway Cay don't make that somehow close to a fair comparison.

I have also cruised with Carnival (waaaay long ago), NCL, Princess and RCCL and never been on a bad cruise.

The thing is some people need Disney pixie dust (they're addicted) like when we were waiting at Port Canaveral for our April 2010 transatlantic on the MAGIC and you'd talk to people and they'd say 'we've been on 12 cruises' ... and you'd ask on what other lines and they'd respond 'other lines?!?!'

I love Disney both on land and at sea, but from a value standpoint very rarely will Disney be the best value and many times it is one of the worst.

And I wanna go on the Fantasy very badly ... but not at those prices!

~Change is coming. BIG, SPIRITED change!~

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Original Poster
Everything is supply and demand. Disney Cruise Lines is in demand and I think manly due to the level of service it provides to family traveling with children. Not that DCL is not great for adults cruising by themselves, but when we took daughter and the two grandkids we could see the difference. My daughter and her husband where able to enjoy the cruise and Disney did there Magic and the grandkids loved it also. When my wife and I did our DCL cruise by ourselves, we enjoyed the Disney attention to detail that you do not see on other cruise lines. Maybe as Disney with its increased capability with the two new ships, maybe supply will even out with demand and you might see some prices coming down (especially in the off season for family travel).

G00fyDad

Everything is supply and demand. Disney Cruise Lines is in demand and I think manly due to the level of service it provides to family traveling with children. Not that DCL is not great for adults cruising by themselves, but when we took daughter and the two grandkids we could see the difference. My daughter and her husband where able to enjoy the cruise and Disney did there Magic and the grandkids loved it also. When my wife and I did our DCL cruise by ourselves, we enjoyed the Disney attention to detail that you do not see on other cruise lines. Maybe as Disney with its increased capability with the two new ships, maybe supply will even out with demand and you might see some prices coming down (especially in the off season for family travel).

I hope so. Right now it is going to cost us an extra $2500+ to tack on a 3 night cruise to our normal WDW trip. :eek:

sweetpee_1993

DCL does a lot of things great. They are my favorite line in their market segment, although I don't believe they are worth the premiums people pay.

For example, most folks will pay more for a four night Disney Dream cruise then I'll pay for a 14-night transatlantic with Celebrity ... and, sorry, but foamheads, the ability to trade pins onboard and Castaway Cay don't make that somehow close to a fair comparison.

I have also cruised with Carnival (waaaay long ago), NCL, Princess and RCCL and never been on a bad cruise.

The thing is some people need Disney pixie dust (they're addicted) like when we were waiting at Port Canaveral for our April 2010 transatlantic on the MAGIC and you'd talk to people and they'd say 'we've been on 12 cruises' ... and you'd ask on what other lines and they'd respond 'other lines?!?!'

I love Disney both on land and at sea, but from a value standpoint very rarely will Disney be the best value and many times it is one of the worst.

And I wanna go on the Fantasy very badly ... but not at those prices!

It's just like anywhere, you gotta watch for the specials. The Fantasy had some pretty good prices for sailings over the summer a few weeks back. I was totally amazed. Also, it seems that FL resident discounts come out on Monday mornings. Put FLR in the discount code box and search away. Or contact Tammy. She's up with the chickens and stays on top of that stuff. :D

I hear ya about the people who have been on all those cruises but not on other cruise lines. My brother-in-law is on the other side of the fence. He's a RCI guy and totally snarks on us for sailing with Disney. We'll be going on RCI's Allure for Thanksgiving 2013 with all the hubby's family. Should be fun! Love me some Penguins of Madagascar! :cool: The sad part is that we'll go on other cruise lines and have a great time. The BiL won't.

There's other places DCL doesn't go that I'm itching to. Like sailing out of the port in New Orleans. How cool would it be to cruise out the Mississippi River??? They don't use the Mr.Go anymore. You're on the river proper. :cool:

Oh! And for those who say Disney is so much more than other cruises, that's not necessarily true. We'll be paying as much if not more to cruise on RCI's Allure of the Seas. Disney's prices look crazy when you pull them up but they include so much. With RCI it's the price of the cruise + soda passes + a few bucks here and there to eat at different venues (not just a couple premiums, they're all over the place, ie. Johnny Rockets) + all alcoholic beverages since you can't carry any liquor onboard with you, etc. I've looked at it a lot and it'll end up costing just as much if not more. Still, I expect it to be just as much fun especially with all the family we'll have roaming the ship. I fully intend to learn the dance steps for the wannabe flash mob thing they do and shake my tail feathers shamelessly. I'm sure it'll be a blast! :wave:

WDW1974

I hope so. Right now it is going to cost us an extra $2500+ to tack on a 3 night cruise to our normal WDW trip. :eek:

So, over $1100 more for three nights on the Dream than I am paying to go to the Canary Islands, Portugal and Spain OVER 14 nights.

I won't say you're crazy, but I do believe spending that amount for three nights on DCL is crazy.

A three nighter also is over almost as soon as you start.

WDW1974

It's just like anywhere, you gotta watch for the specials. The Fantasy had some pretty good prices for sailings over the summer a few weeks back. I was totally amazed. Also, it seems that FL resident discounts come out on Monday mornings. Put FLR in the discount code box and search away. Or contact Tammy. She's up with the chickens and stays on top of that stuff. :D

Trust me, I am the most savvy traveler you will ever meet. It has helped me travel the world, while others are stuck with a week at WDW every July!

When we did the Transatlantic on the MAGIC in 2010 we paid $699 a person for one of the best vacations of my life (and that is saying a LOT!):)

I haven't checked Fantasy prices yet because I can't imagine they won't be 2-4 times what the competition is for most of their first season and I just won't pay that.

May do a Wonder voyage out of Miami if those prices are low enough, but I'd rather try the new ship.

I hear ya about the people who have been on all those cruises but not on other cruise lines. My brother-in-law is on the other side of the fence. He's a RCI guy and totally snarks on us for sailing with Disney. We'll be going on RCI's Allure for Thanksgiving 2013 with all the hubby's family. Should be fun! Love me some Penguins of Madagascar! :cool: The sad part is that we'll go on other cruise lines and have a great time. The BiL won't.

I appreciate that because I just have never been on a bad cruise. My favorite is easily the transatlantic on the MAGIC, but I loved the Hawaii island hopping on the Spirit of America (named after me, of course!) too.

And every Princess cruise has been very consistent in quality across the board.

There's other places DCL doesn't go that I'm itching to. Like sailing out of the port in New Orleans. How cool would it be to cruise out the Mississippi River??? They don't use the Mr.Go anymore. You're on the river proper. :cool:

Oh! And for those who say Disney is so much more than other cruises, that's not necessarily true. We'll be paying as much if not more to cruise on RCI's Allure of the Seas. Disney's prices look crazy when you pull them up but they include so much. With RCI it's the price of the cruise + soda passes + a few bucks here and there to eat at different venues (not just a couple premiums, they're all over the place, ie. Johnny Rockets) + all alcoholic beverages since you can't carry any liquor onboard with you, etc. I've looked at it a lot and it'll end up costing just as much if not more. Still, I expect it to be just as much fun especially with all the family we'll have roaming the ship. I fully intend to learn the dance steps for the wannabe flash mob thing they do and shake my tail feathers shamelessly. I'm sure it'll be a blast! :wave:

DCL definitely includes more ... I didn't like seeing 10 restaurants with additional charges on Oasis of the Seas ... the whole point of cruising was that everything was included and now they're like airlines, trying to deconstruct your ticket.

I really want back on DCL, but it has to make sense (and it has to be at least seven nights ... anything shorter just is too short for my tastes!)

sweetpee_1993

So, over $1100 more for three nights on the Dream than I am paying to go to the Canary Islands, Portugal and Spain OVER 14 nights.

I won't say you're crazy, but I do believe spending that amount for three nights on DCL is crazy.

A three nighter also is over almost as soon as you start.

This may be true but how many people are in each party? What level of stateroom? Lots of variables can affect what that DCL price is.

Personally, much as I would loooove to book us on a TA or a Panama Canal cruise we can't go for that length of time again. With the hubby back to working contract time off isn't paid. 2 weeks of lost pay doubles that cruise cost for us. No-can-do...so it stays on the bucket list for now. Just sayin'...not everyone can get away for the long cruises... :D

StageFrenzy

Trust me, I am the most savvy traveler you will ever meet. It has helped me travel the world, while others are stuck with a week at WDW every July!

When we did the Transatlantic on the MAGIC in 2010 we paid $699 a person for one of the best vacations of my life (and that is saying a LOT!):)

I haven't checked Fantasy prices yet because I can't imagine they won't be 2-4 times what the competition is for most of their first season and I just won't pay that.

May do a Wonder voyage out of Miami if those prices are low enough, but I'd rather try the new ship.

I appreciate that because I just have never been on a bad cruise. My favorite is easily the transatlantic on the MAGIC, but I loved the Hawaii island hopping on the Spirit of America (named after me, of course!) too.

And every Princess cruise has been very consistent in quality across the board.

DCL definitely includes more ... I didn't like seeing 10 restaurants with additional charges on Oasis of the Seas ... the whole point of cruising was that everything was included and now they're like airlines, trying to deconstruct your ticket.

I really want back on DCL, but it has to make sense (and it has to be at least seven nights ... anything shorter just is too short for my tastes!)

You keep mentioning the fantasy, have you cruised on the dream or is it that fantasy still has that new ship smell?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom