Disney, VR/AR, and Apple's WWDC 2023

Communicora

Premium Member
When Newton's came out, there was no way I was going to convince and adult to buy one for me and the year they stopped making them, there was no way I'd have been able to afford one but man did I want one.

Silly thinking back on that, now.

New technology and gadgets are very fun, but it is an amusing cycle. When I had my first "real" job a bunch of us got our Christmas bonuses and headed over to MicroCenter to buy the very first Palm Pilots. The founder of the studio we worked at brought in his Newton and I later realized I used the Palm Pilot about as much as he had used his Newton. That is to say, not much at all. Things changed when the Handspring Visor came out. I loved downloading news on that at home and reading it on the bus. It is funny to think of now, but I felt like I was living in the future!

I'm a bit skeptical about how popular these will be with your average consumer, but I bet we will see a lot of them in the first/business class cabin on airplanes. I can also picture the insufferable bosses who will wear them during all staff zoom meetings. Ugh. Haha

the.dreamfinder

A suggested read about AR/VR adoption by Matthew Ball.
Dr. Timothy Witham, who is also director of the hospital’s Spinal Fusion Laboratory,[uses a VR headset to assist with spinal tumor surgeries] likened the experience to driving a car with GPS. I love this analogy because it shows how XR can complement existing devices and behaviors rather than displace them (it also complements reality, rather than disconnecting us from it). Put another way, we drive a car with GPS; we don’t drive GPS instead of a car, and GPS doesn’t replace the onboard computer either. What’s more, many of us travel more often because GPS exists. Dr. Witham also provides a framework through which we can evaluate the utility XR devices. To exist, they need not upend convention, just deliver better and/or faster and/or cheaper and/or more reliable outcomes. But even under these more moderated measures, the future seems far off. GPS began to see non-military adoption in the 1990s, but it took another two decades to mature in cost and quality to become a part of daily life. Furthermore, the mainstream value in GPS was not only in improving commutes but in enabling applications as diverse as Tinder, Siri, Yelp, Spotify, and many others.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Isn’t it like a bazillion dollars?

…perfect for Cashmere Bob…it suits the “luxury” clientele at wdw that can’t afford going anymore and reject 30% discounts and need “free” pecos bills

💰💰💰

Cmdr_Crimson

…perfect for Cashmere Bob…it suits the “luxury” clientele at wdw that can’t afford going anymore and reject 30% discounts and need “free” pecos bills

💰💰💰
$3500.....
38a092bad988ba04530ba05b04f78bf4ebc599c5594de0b4c8c25523e7709e16_1.jpg

Trauma

💰💰💰
I think it’s gonna to be $3500.

I bought the meta 3 whatever its called for like $500. Returned it a few days later as it was just a useless gimmick.

This product will have to be some type of revolution to justify the price.

You’re not going to be working in this thing like Apple claims. It starts to become uncomfortable after few hours and the battery life is short.

I know this says Apple on it so people will buy it but what exactly is it going to do to make it worth it ?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I bought the meta 3 whatever its called for like $500. Returned it a few days later as it was just a useless gimmick.

You’re not going to be working in this thing like Apple claims. It starts to become uncomfortable after few hours and the battery life is short.

I know this says Apple on it so people will buy it but what exactly is it going to do to make it worth it ?

I’ve tried the oculus and PSVR…

The problem is the size of the headset…until it’s lightweight or some type of HUD…it’s never gonna have a mass following

This looks clunkier than the quest 3

adam.adbe

This is not a general market device. Apple know that. Developers hoping to get ahead of the market when the cheaper consumer tier device ships are the primary market for this right now (outside of the usual posers and influencers of course).

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This is not a general market device. Apple know that. Developers hoping to get ahead of the market when the cheaper consumer tier device ships are the primary market for this right now (outside of the usual posers and influencers of course).
These have been around for awhile…it’s remained niche

Brian

Smart watches aren't remotely similar to VR headsets regardless of price points, though.
They aren't at all, but they were fairly niche before Apple entered the space. I anticipate a similar explosion in popularity of VR/AR headsets from niche to mainstream if Apple can make Vision Pro a good value. Not the same scale due to the utility of one versus the other, but still going from niche to main stream.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom