Disney Visa card

Goofyernmost

As someone who pays the $49 for the Premier card and gets 1% or 2% cash back, it's absolutely free money. I've averaged $840 per year in rewards in the 6 years I've had the card. I make all purchases on it (including stocking a small country store), and pay the balance off monthly, carrying zero balance. I've never paid a penny in interest, so that's $791 in free credit yearly. Sure there's better cards, but this way I can forget I even have the rewards available until I visit. Needless to say, I'm not the customer credit card companies like.
As long as you don't take into account that you have to either be at the resort, paying bloated prices for everything and even ordering items from Disney has those same inflated price tags. You have to add it all up to be able to say... it's free money. At this point in life one must realize that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Nothing is actually free. What you pay when you use it quickly sucks up any thought of free money. What if you don't get back for a few years, say in the unlikely event that there might be a Pandemic or something. They use your money for whatever time has passed, you have lost interest money that you might have had if you took the same money and put it in savings and on top of that you are going to have to use your money to pay them a tiny, tiny percentage of the over priced goods or services you might acquire strictly from them. No options, so they give you the money you already spent and looking like a gift, is actually a breakeven, nothing really gained.

celluloid

As long as you don't take into account that you have to either be at the resort, paying bloated prices for everything and even ordering items from Disney has those same inflated price tags. You have to add it all up to be able to say... it's free money. At this point in life one must realize that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Nothing is actually free. What you pay when you use it quickly sucks up any thought of free money. What if you don't get back for a few years, say in the unlikely event that there might be a Pandemic or something. They use your money for whatever time has passed, you have lost interest money that you might have had if you took the same money and put it in savings and on top of that you are going to have to use your money to pay them a tiny, tiny percentage of the over priced goods or services you might acquire strictly from them. No options, so they give you the money you already spent and looking like a gift, is actually a breakeven, nothing really gained.

At a certain point, you can make the semantical argument about everything. Including inflation itself.

I think the person understands, but it works for them.

You can also use it for money to fly to WDW, or any destination in the world.

JIMINYCR

As others have mentioned theres good and not so good points about having the Disney Visa. There are other cards that do pay back better and certainly look at those cards and what they can do for you.
We are charter members having taken out the Visa card from the very beginning. We use it to bank $$$ for our trips, use it for discounts and promotions, pay for meals and snacks, park merchandise, do the Visa exclusive M&G's, Disney store purchases.
For someone who may not be much of a WDW or DL vacationer and doesnt use it for their Dis things, it may not be the best taking it. We use it enough that it will stay in my wallet and continue getting used. It works well enough for us.

Br0ckford

Premium Member
It's the same argument for tax returns. Do you balance it so at tax time you don't owe or get money back or use it as "saving" for a lump sum at one time that you normally wouldn't "save" OP got more then they bargained for on this question. 🤣🤣

JoeCamel

I understand that there are other savings plans but this is earning "money" on money they spend on things they are buying anyway. If they are buying groceries using this card (or any other card with benefits) that earns money/points that they would not get if they were playing with cash. So if the bill is paid on time then it is "free money".
But getting 1% of points that can only be spent with TWDC is a much worse "deal" than earning 5% of gas or food or travel back with dollars that can be spent anywhere. As you say you are spending the money anyway

celluloid

It's the same argument for tax returns. Do you balance it so at tax time you don't owe or get money back or use it as "saving" for a lump sum at one time that you normally wouldn't "save" OP got more then they bargained for on this question. 🤣🤣

Not really the same. The government takes my taxes either way.

If I pay my credit card responsibly, I get two cents back for every dollar I spend on it. A lot closer to free money than the interest free loans we give the government. I use it for things I need or am going to buy anyway.

Br0ckford

Premium Member
Not really the same. The government takes my taxes either way.

If I pay my credit card responsibly, I get two cents back for every dollar I spend on it. A lot closer to free money than the interest free loans we give the government. I use it for things I need or am going to buy anyway.
You get the gist of of what I'm saying. 😏

celluloid

The Disney card only gives you 1% in rewards, but the Wells Fargo Active Cash card gives you 2% on all purchases with no fee a year.

Depends on the card. I have the premier that gives me 2 on most everything.

That is cool that the Fargo one is free, but I have had too many friends with bad experiences with them.

Chase also has some great benefits besides the obvious, mainly for me as posted earlier, the Rental Car insurance one. That more than pays for its annual fee because my family tends to rent a couple a year on average.

heapster411

I used my Disney Visa to pay for my room with DVC Rental. Got the usual 1% in rewards, plus with the usual junk I buy during the year, I put some $ on the rewards card to use for the Cookie Stroll and food booths during the International Festival of the Holidays. Got to love free cookies!!

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
It's all psychological. If you have a tough time saving for a Disney trip, sure, use this card because your rewards can ONLY be used at Disney and it will "force" you to save for Disney. However, if you are better at savings and more restrained with having cold hard cash on hand, use almost any other credit card. You can save for a Disney trip better using many, MANY other credit cards. For example, I believe the Disney Visa gives you the equivalent of 1% back in points for every purchase. My Discover card recently offered 5% cash back at Wholesale clubs (with a limit of 1500 USD). I purchased 3 x $500 Disney Gift cards from BJs for the member's discounted rate of $479.99 each ($1439.97 total) then got back $72 in cash back rewards from Discover for the purchase effectively paying $1367.97 for $1500 in gift cards ($132.03 in savings or an 8.8% discount). Beyond that, with my Target RedCard card, I can buy an unlimited amount of $500 Disney gift cards for 5% off.

If you are looking to save up money before a Disney vacation, getting 1% cash back on all purchases is pretty standard with many credit cards offering higher percentages (usually up to 5%) on purchases at specific locations. if you take that cash (even if it is just 1%) and move it into a high interest savings account that you designate specifically for use for saving for Disney... you can make interest on those rewards (My Capital One electronics savings account makes 4.3% interest... you don't earn any interest on those Disney Chase Visa CC points and you can't use those points to double dip on other discounts [like purchasing discounted gift cards]).

Get the Disney Visa for the benefits you can get just for having the card, but don't use the card to build rewards as a means for saving for Disney... There are much, MUCH better options out there...

Last edited:

StantonZ

As someone who pays the $49 for the Premier card and gets 1% or 2% cash back, it's absolutely free money.
Do you have to "pay" to get the 2% cash back (on Disney purchases)...because I'm definitely not seeing the 2% (which is why I don't always use it at Disney). Am I missing something?

dmw

In the Parks
No
I don't think anyone has mentioned this... The points on the card can also be redeemed for payment for theater tickets for Disney produced movies. We used points to see the new Indy film when it came out.

JaxFLBear

Do you have to "pay" to get the 2% cash back (on Disney purchases)...because I'm definitely not seeing the 2% (which is why I don't always use it at Disney). Am I missing something?
There are two different Disney Visa cards. The standard (no annual fee) only gets 1%. The Premier ($49 annual fee) is the one that gets 2%.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
There are two different Disney Visa cards. The standard (no annual fee) only gets 1%. The Premier ($49 annual fee) is the one that gets 2%.
They both suck. Other cards earn a flat 2% or 2.5% on everything with no annual fee.

Many other cards earn higher rates on various categories, also without an annual fee.

flynnibus

Premium Member
All you are doing is taking it out of the pocket you could have had it in and put less back in your other pocket. You would be ahead using other ways to save for your "free" disney.
Sorry you don't understand the notion of getting paid to spend money you are already spending anyway... your loss :)

flynnibus

Premium Member
No, it's not.

The topic of credit card rewards is easily done into a completely 'only positive' model for the consumer. You are effectively getting bonuses without any additional spending or cost to you. Tax withholdings are simply 'forced savings' and have nothing in common with perks you wouldn't have gotten otherwise.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom