Disney Visa card

Br0ckford

Premium Member
No, it's not.

The topic of credit card rewards is easily done into a completely 'only positive' model for the consumer. You are effectively getting bonuses without any additional spending or cost to you. Tax withholdings are simply 'forced savings' and have nothing in common with perks you wouldn't have gotten otherwise.
Ok thanks

flynnibus

Premium Member
I keep a Disney card because

- take advantage of the offers when they are there
- why not use 0% apr on the travel to diffuse a big spike in my balance
- some small discounts in the parks

It's not a good card to 'save up for a disney trip' -- there are far better programs to accumulate value with. But it's a fine card to keep in the drawer to leverage when it benefits you to do so.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
As someone who pays the $49 for the Premier card and gets 1% or 2% cash back, it's absolutely free money. I've averaged $840 per year in rewards in the 6 years I've had the card.
If you just got a simple card like the Citi Double Cash, you would have earned more than $840 and paid $0 in annual fees.

Yes, the Disney Premier card is better than paying cash, but it's worse than the alternative credit cards you could be using instead.

JoeCamel

Scott B

Any one have any thoughts on the Disney CC? Was thinking of getting one and building points towards a future trip
I have had a Disney credit card for at least ten years. I have cashed in about $3,000 over the ten years. i think it pays on average about 1.5% so there are better cards out there but some come with fees. I have a trip planned in November and will cash in about $600 to use at WDW.

AEfx

If you just got a simple card like the Citi Double Cash, you would have earned more than $840 and paid $0 in annual fees.

Yes, the Disney Premier card is better than paying cash, but it's worse than the alternative credit cards you could be using instead.
That's just it - there is a reason the Disney Visa is considered one of the worst cards on the market, and that gap is quickly widening. The Disney card is stuck in like 2009, reading the current offer page is like a time warp. I don't think some folks may realize how much cash back many cards are giving these days, even if you don't want to play the category game.

It's actually quite astounding that they haven't upgraded it somehow by now, because when you compare - even to Chase's other offerings, let alone other companies - I can't think of another branded rewards card that actually gives you a worse deal. Especially the paid version. It takes a lot of chutzpah to have a paid tier of a rewards card have worse features than the average no-fee card out there.

The very first reply to this post was spot-on. For folks that don't want to juggle multiple cards, or track categories, etc. - the Savor One card is the best no-fee card out there, and I honestly can't come up with a scenario where people wouldn't be making at least double using it over the Disney Visa. Even in the parks, unless you are buying thousands and thousands of dollars in merchandise, chances are the biggest cost you have at WDW is food - and you get 3% from Savor, versus 2% from Disney even on their home turf.

If you do want to juggle multiple cards and track categories, of course, you can do even better. But if you are a "set it and forget it" type, there are so many better choices. And they all work like little "savings accounts", just like Disney - they don't automatically redeem - so switching over folks can still see it grow - just a lot faster, and in case something happens, WAY more flexibility in using them, of course. And nothing stopping you from using them to buy a Disney gift card if that is what you want to end up doing, either.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
If you do want to juggle multiple cards and track categories, of course, you can do even better. But if you are a "set it and forget it" type, there are so many better choices. And they all work like little "savings accounts", just like Disney - they don't automatically redeem - so switching over folks can still see it grow - just a lot faster, and in case something happens, WAY more flexibility in using them, of course. And nothing stopping you from using them to buy a Disney gift card if that is what you want to end up doing, either.
Reminds me of that episode of The Office where Michael is trying to say that a gift basket is the best gift ever, and Andy points out that with cash, you can buy anything you want, including a gift basket.

f306b0ed-b6f6-4074-8522-3167e1488da4_text.gif

AEfx

Reminds me of that episode of The Office where Michael is trying to say that a gift basket is the best gift ever, and Andy points out that with cash, you can buy anything you want, including a gift basket.
LOL. I totally get the psychological factor - but you do see that people that use it as their main spending card for rewards tend to have done it for a very long time, back when just getting 1% was considered a very big deal. I think a lot of folks just don't know what is really out there now.

Not saying people shouldn't keep the card for what (very) limited park benefits Disney still gives - though I just couldn't justify the paid one, because if you are paying you are likely spending thousands a month on the card, and there are SO much better options at that level, both consumer and business cards - it's truly an atrocious product.

I guess there are a lot of folks out there who just like the "Disney" part of it and don't care about anything else, which is why they don't even try to compete with other cards. I'm still pretty shocked that they don't at least give better rewards for spending directly with Disney. Or at least more extensive discounts around the resort, or something...

I mean, I have to laugh when the big 5% bonus advertised at the top of the "comparison" page for the paid version is for...Disney+. Even if you pay full price, monthly for the whole trio bundle, that's still...$1 a month, maximum, LOL. And that's their biggest benefit!

Last edited:

Monkee Girl

Any one have any thoughts on the Disney CC? Was thinking of getting one and building points towards a future trip
I got one and I would say don't bother. High interest and you don't get much for it. one dollar for every One HUNDRED you spend. I love my card because it's Disney and I can have star wars characters on it. But now they don't even have good selection of star wars characters.

I just don't think Disney gives it much thought any more. I'd love them to put more perks out but it's really not worth it in my opinion.

There is a pain in me when you realize you put your whole package on the card and after all of that, you only get like $50 back in points. That doesn't even buy a nice sit down dinner in the park. Get something better.

Monkee Girl

I used to have one but found better offers out there. Besides there may come a time when you no longer go just to Disney and those points can't be turned into anything other than disney points. (the exception is airfare).
definitely. I got the card during peek disney vacation time for me when I was going annually. Then I needed a break. yea, I'd have the points when I did decide to take a trip but if I'm going to start going other places, I want a card that's more universal use.

celluloid

definitely. I got the card during peek disney vacation time for me when I was going annually. Then I needed a break. yea, I'd have the points when I did decide to take a trip but if I'm going to start going other places, I want a card that's more universal use.
I know what you mean but could not resit seeing the pun.
This was probably the best Credit Card Commercial.

JoeCamel

The card is free. You get additional bonus money to spend for using it. If that isn't the definition of free money then math sure has changed a lot since I was in school.
The merchant pays for your "free" money and sets prices accordingly. Like "free dining" and "magical express" it is included but not free
You can do much better elsewhere as you will spend in any case

celluloid

The discounts yes but the OP was "saving" for a dis vacay saying it was "free money". They could "save" more using another vehicle and have more "free" fun

More free does not equal not free for the other.

If I earn a 100 dollars on a game show and a friend earned 1,000 dollars on a game show.

We both got free money, he just did better.

LeighM

I only use my Disney Visa (the free version) to take advantage of the savings at Shop Disney, the 6 month 0% interest on qualifying Disney vacations, dining discounts, and the ability to get better offers not available to the general public. I've used it in the past to get the Free Dining during dates not open to everyone and, later on, better room discounts. Lately, they moved those perks to Disney+ trying to drive up the subscription numbers. However, you can save good money one way. If you don't currently have a Chase Disney Visa, you can get a current cardholder code that will give you better offers than they give to the public. Those offers aren't as good as they used to be though. But if you're planning a trip anyway, you can automatically save money by getting the credit offered because you're already going to spend the qualifying amount of money. Plus, you get the 0% interest for 6 months if you get a vacation package in addition to the 10%-15% off discount at select restaurants. It can save you money if you do it correctly for a Disney trip. But it's not the best card to have for everyday perks - my husband and I use other cards for that.

Turtlekrawl

Agree with the majority above. I’ve had the premier card for over a decade. It was decent at first but is now a terrible card for everyday use. But… ok to have in the bag for select occasions. Solid promotions pop up from time to time, like 10% at gas stations and 5% at grocery stores and Amazon from Oct-Dec 2022. I had maxed out my 6% Amex blue cash at grocery stores late last year, so this was a nice boost.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom