News Disney updates its legendary Four Keys model to include a fifth key

_caleb

Lots of CMs I know (myself included) find this to be nothing more than unnecessary virtual signaling. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Edited to add: none of us are against inclusion, but this doesn’t fit the hierarchy of the four keys. If anything, it should’ve been put into the Disney Values, although they already have “diversity“ as one of them. Shoehorning them into the Four Keys - where it should already be implied under courtesy - seems more like a PR move
This could be interpreted a couple different ways. Maybe it is "Oh here we go with yet another woke mob PR move!" Or maybe its closer to "How do we emphasize something that the current training doesn't quite emphasize enough?"

@EPCOT-O.G. keeps bringing up Disney's business in China. I would hope that fans on this board can appreciate that adding the "Inclusion" key might be a company-wide response to issues faced by East Asian park CMs.

BigThunderMatt

This could be interpreted a couple different ways. Maybe it is "Oh here we go with yet another woke mob PR move!" Or maybe its closer to "How do we emphasize something that the current training doesn't quite emphasize enough?"

I feel like Disney has always been ahead of the curve on the diversity piece. When I worked for them I always felt like our workforce was incredibly diverse and inclusive, with zero tolerance for racism, sexism, ageism, ableism or homophobia/transphobia. I remember someone getting fired on the spot for dropping the n-bomb in casual conversation while on the clock.

Brer Oswald

This really seems like a mere formality of something that I’ve already seen present in the CMs at the parks. Something to fish for positive articles to counteract the negative Mulan ones (and anything about the parks in COVID).

I don’t think this is changing anything. Maybe some more diversity training for the leaders, higher ups, frontline? That would be nice.

Quite frankly, if you’re discriminatory in any way, you shouldn’t be working as a Cast Member. But I’ve never ever encountered a Cast Member who wasn’t inclusive. I’m sure someone else probably has.

Last edited:

Ricky Spanish

Why stop at five?
  • Honest
  • Brave
  • Compassionate
  • Leader
  • Courageous
  • Unselfish
  • Loyal
  • Hard-working
  • Independent
  • Responsible
  • Considerate
  • Self-confident
  • Humble
  • Feel free to add your own
4189ABFF-D98D-490F-9545-A372A1E09A43.gif

Oops, wrong list!

_caleb

Chances of this meaning inclusion of low socioeconomic families? Zilch.
I wonder. There may be some sensitivity training related to the inclusion of low income guests, but when what you’re selling is so expensive, I’m not sure how you can “include” people who can’t afford to even go to the parks.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Didn't it used to be a week long?
Maybe. I just don't remember it being as long as people talked about. We sat in a classroom where a young guy kinda sorta prepared a speech, watched some videos, and a powerpoint for about 2 or 3 days. They let us ride Haunted Mansion and we toured Magic Kingdom another day.

Does your personal job training also count as traditions?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom