News Disney transforms Magic Kingdom's famous purple wall to celebrate PRIDE Month at Walt Disney World and will donate merch profits to support LGBTQIA+

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleBuford

Charging into Finnegan's on St Patrick's day, screaming, "What are you even celebrating? This isn't inclusive! Stop excluding me!!!"

Funny that folks don't seem to do that...
Although I doubted the question was being asked in good faith, I offered a sincere response to it, and even that was rubbished. That's when you know that the person asking isn't really interested in hearing an answer.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I just don’t get celebrating this. What is there to celebrate?
Gains in preventing discrimination against gay/queer human beings and fellow citizens.

And those gains are incomplete. More than a dozen states still allow housing discrimination, or employment discrimination, or adoption discrimination, and so on.

Two states even have laws preventing local towns from passing anti-discrimination laws... that's how much they *want* to discriminate.

So, in addition to Pride Month being a celebration, it's also awareness-raising events and actual protests against policies that allow discrimination of gay/queer people with regard to a whole host of human behavior and commerce.

LittleBuford

Gains in preventing discrimination against gay/queer human beings and fellow citizens.

And those gains are incomplete. More than a dozen states still allow housing discrimination, or employment discrimination, or adoption discrimination, and so on.

Two states even have laws preventing local towns from passing anti-discrimination laws... that's how much they *want* to discriminate.

So, in addition to Pride Month being a celebration, it's also awareness-raising events and actual protests against policies that allow discrimination of gay/queer people with regard to a whole host of human behavior and commerce.

Yeah, but does all that really warrant a rainbow on a wall? I mean, surely we need more to justify all that paint!

Club Cooloholic

If Pride month helps just one kid, living somewhere like Wyoming, get through another year of struggling with the will to live because they are trapped in a community populated by those that would hurt them because they are gay, or are forced to go to a church that says they are evil because they are gay, or abused in their household because their parents think it's wrong they are gay. If Pride month and all it's commercialization reached and helps that kid, then please don't criticize it. Seriously, there are people, many children, hurting and killing themselves every day over who they love, or how they feel about their gender. Some of us might live in places or grew up in homes of loving accepting people, but there are still far to many that don't have that, and if Pride month is a beacon to them that things can get better and there are people, gay and straight, that love and support them, then you really can't see this as anything but a good thing.

Last edited:

maemae74

What’s funny is that I am not grumbling. I am trying to understand. I don’t see what’s there to celebrate.
Well with all things in life we have our personal freedom to celebrate or not. Like holidays! My only issue is that it just seems so over the top these days and I question some of the sentiment behind it by many but that's an entirely different topic non Disney related.

LittleBuford

What’s funny is that I am not grumbling. I am trying to understand. I don’t see what’s there to celebrate.
Multiple people have answered your question. You may not have anything to celebrate, but others do (just as with Christmas, Passover, Eid, Independence Day, and countless other celebrations). If you’re still claiming not to understand why others celebrate Pride, despite the reasons that have been enumerated, you are wilfully ignoring what people are telling you, and therefore not joining the discussion in good faith.

TrainsOfDisney

I haven’t seen any other groups get a mural in the parks - so I’m not sure this is equal.
It would be like someone asking "What is there to celebrate?" in a thread about the Candlelight Processional, or the 4th of July firework tag,
People complain about the processional being religious and about the 4th of July song selections. This is a forum, people complain about everything lol

LittleBuford

People complain about the processional being religious and about the 4th of July song selections. This is a forum, people complain about everything lol
That was my point. It’s a complaint disingenuously framed as a question. Answers were provided to that question, but the poster who asked it isn’t actually interested; their true purpose is to grumble about Pride.

LittleBuford

I haven’t seen any other groups get a mural in the parks - so I’m not sure this is equal.
Pride gets a mural, other celebrations get parades and fireworks.

Comparisons of this sort aren’t productive, because all celebrations are differently marked. Moreover, it’s in rather poor taste to suggest that a Pride mural amounts to unequal treatment of others given the long history of actual discrimination against LGBTQIA+ people.

Vegas Disney Fan

I'm not a gay man but I did stay at a Howard Johnson Inn in the late 80's. But seriously, I don't get all of the hubbub over this type of stuff. I've expressed my opinion on this topic before but why can't people just let other people be themselves? If someone wants to wear pride stuff and feel good about it, let em. Be you and be happy.

This is how I feel also, I enjoy seeing the pride flag in the same way I enjoy seeing a Menorah around Christmas or ribbons for breast cancer awareness. As a straight Christian male I’m not the focus of any of them but I see no harm in being more inclusive and see a lot of benefit in encouraging people to learn a bit more about things that may not directly relate to them.

No-one is under any obligation to partake in festivities that don't appeal to them, but it's common courtesy to let others take pleasure (and pride) in such events without throwing rhetorical shade on their enjoyment.

I agree but unfortunately this isn’t always true, some Tampa baseball players are taking heat right now for not wearing pride patches they felt were counter their beliefs, live and let live should go both ways. As long as people aren’t hurting anyone they shouldn’t be shamed for being themselves, whether that is being their gay selves, being their Christian selves, or whatever else their selves are.

Ansem

What am I suppose to celebrate? You are just saying that there are people that can openly be gay, queer, etc. and I should be happy about it? That’s strange.
Yeah dude you should be happy about it, people who exist and are discriminated against in myriad facets, who suffer microaggressions on a sliding scale right into violence etc for existing and doing nothing harmful to another human being, deserve a moment of solidarity from people within and without the community— in short, the right to exist is a freedom everyone ought to be glad about, regardless of what you believe or are.

I've been lucky to have a parent that was kind to me growing up when I confessed I wasn't straight, but the rest of my family? No. And the awful feeling of rejection by people who said they loved me because of tenets designed TO preach love is shattering. Right now there's a lot of hate going around, a lot of prejudice and ignorance and denial of basic living rights that've been fought for for way longer than I've been alive. This matters.

I hope you rethink how you feel, and if not, then cool fine, but let us be happy to see Disney doing something in support because right now it means a whole lot.

MrPromey

Charging into Finnegan's on St Patrick's day, screaming, "What are you even celebrating? This isn't inclusive! Stop excluding me!!!"

Funny that folks don't seem to do that...

No one wants to talk about St Patrick’s Day, huh? I mean, that must really make folks feel unequal, right? How have I missed all the complaints about it on here?
Just for fun, I'll bite.

I have no argument in the greater discussion at all (or with you) but since you're asking for it, I'll be the one to say it: your analogy sucks.* :p

Your suggesting Finnegan's + St. Patrick's day = Disney + Gay Pride Month.

A bar themed (even in a theme park) as an Irish pub having a whole lot going on for a largely Irish celebrated day is a literal no-brainer. People walking into an Irish pub are walking into an Irish pub any day of the year. Unless the Irish sounding name and green logo with a four leaf clover in it was too subtle?

I mean, it's not like they're dying the lagoon green for the day or anything, right?

Unless the whole of WDW has become a universal symbol for all things LGBTQ+ and I just missed it, that's a truly awful comparison.

Now, Hamburger Mary's? There's your Irish Pub comparison to an environment open to all but themed in one very strong direction.**

I'm not taking any issue with what's going on at WDW this month - not more than any other random month over the last decade or so, anyway - but I'll call a bad analogy when the person making it invites the criticism. ;)

For those who don't like the purple wall mural, I'd suggest doing what I do for the other eleven months out of the year, though - ignore it.

Everyone will be happier that way. 👍

How many people unhappy about this, posting or just lurking, already had plans to visit WDW this month, anyway?

*I expect better from your arguments.

**The funny part is for the discussion comparing Disney to Universal in all of this, I could see Citywalk getting a Hamburger Mary's before I could imagine one going into Disney Springs.

Last edited:

CampbellzSoup

Yeah dude you should be happy about it, people who exist and are discriminated against in myriad facets, who suffer microaggressions on a sliding scale right into violence etc for existing and doing nothing harmful to another human being, deserve a moment of solidarity from people within and without the community— in short, the right to exist is a freedom everyone ought to be glad about, regardless of what you believe or are.

I've been lucky to have a parent that was kind to me growing up when I confessed I wasn't straight, but the rest of my family? No. And the awful feeling of rejection by people who said they loved me because of tenets designed TO preach love is shattering. Right now there's a lot of hate going around, a lot of prejudice and ignorance and denial of basic living rights that've been fought for for way longer than I've been alive. This matters.

I hope you rethink how you feel, and if not, then cool fine, but let us be happy to see Disney doing something in support because right now it means a whole lot.

I don’t think telling someone what they should and should not feel happy or supportive is going to win any arguments.

People are entitled to their opinions if people don’t like the rainbow mural so what…? Again I don’t feel like how splashing rainbows onto products or advertisements is anything but patronizing, but everyone has their own opinions.

Actually I do like the rainbow Oreos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom