News Disney transforms Magic Kingdom's famous purple wall to celebrate PRIDE Month at Walt Disney World and will donate merch profits to support LGBTQIA+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony the Tigger

14DDB238-C57E-4CC1-A953-5205047D325C.jpeg

💯

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
You mean like taking over the American Adventure pavilion to highlight the contributions of Black musicians to jazz music?

Oh, some more...

matt9112

That’s why he brought it up. It was a talking point in yesterday’s thread (“Disney is hypocritical and insincere given that they don’t push to celebrate Pride in Shanghai”).

They don’t do a lot of things in Shanghai. That park is legitimately just an attempted cash grab. I do however feel like if the company truly felt x y z they wouldn’t have built a theme park in a place with very little human rights.

Patcheslee

As a hetero, if everyone would just wake up every morning and say "I'm not going to be a human today", none of this would matter. I mean why would anyone be bothered by this. I live near Mobile, AL and they painted a cannon rainbow colors and people were triggered... Like does it really affect your life?
The local library had to take down a Pride flag at their monthly book display after complaints and questions about "morality". Now the policy is not to display decorations that could cause controversy.

LittleBuford

They don’t do a lot of things in Shanghai. That park is legitimately just an attempted cash grab. I do however feel like if the company truly felt x y z they wouldn’t have built a theme park in a place with very little human rights.
Disney’s relationship with China leaves me very uncomfortable in general, and I always feel guilty when I buy Chinese-made Disney merchandise (thankfully, Disney mugs, which are my favourite kind of merch, are made in Thailand). Nevertheless, I think that’s a separate issue from the one under discussion here, even if there are points of overlap.

LittleBuford

my gay friends make jokes about tops and bottoms all the time, is that offensive?
As is usually the case with jokes of this kind, they sound better coming from within the community and are often tone deaf or outright offensive when attempted by outsiders. (To be clear, I’m not referring to the Burger King advert—I think the reference to tops and bottoms there was unintentional.)

Lilofan

There are many companies that deal with that country. With them supplying approx 70% of our meds, don't see many in an uproar on human right issues.

maemae74

As a hetero, if everyone would just wake up every morning and say "I'm not going to be a bad human today", none of this would matter. I mean why would anyone be bothered by this. I live near Mobile, AL and they painted a cannon rainbow colors and people were triggered... Like does it really affect your life?
Not that I disagree with you on your idea but being a bad person but it isn't just inclusive to heterosexual people.

Last edited:

matt9112

There are many companies that deal with that country. With them supplying approx 70% of our meds, don't see many in an uproar on human right issues.

Yeah normalizing relations in the 70s was a mistake I agree. But cheap goods for Americans is the name of the game. And trust me I’m not some made in the USA kind of guy. I just feel like it’s putting a lot of eggs in one basket and than realizing the basket hates everything you stand for.

My point transcends disney. I feel like most companies shouldn’t do a lot of business there. Granted making an iPhone with cheap labor is different than operating a theme park that is (at least over here) a physical representation of your values and beliefs.

I guess fight the good fight as long as the longitude and lattidude make sense?

Lilofan

Yeah normalizing relations in the 70s was a mistake I agree. But cheap goods for Americans is the name of the game. And trust me I’m not some made in the USA kind of guy. I just feel like it’s putting a lot of eggs in one basket and than realizing the basket hates everything you stand for.

My point transcends disney. I feel like most companies shouldn’t do a lot of business there. Granted making an iPhone with cheap labor is different than operating a theme park that is (at least over here) a physical representation of your values and beliefs.

I guess fight the good fight as long as the longitude and lattidude make sense?
I’m all for made in the USA but with higher labor costs passed onto the consumer in terms of higher pricing is reality that some may not accept so well.

matt9112

I’m all for made in the USA but with higher labor costs passed onto the consumer in terms of higher pricing is reality that some may not accept so well.

There’s lots of middle of the road places… not as cheap as china but still much cheaper than here. They just don’t have the raw capacity to compete with china. Granted once this giant working age cohort in china ages into unproductively china is going to be in a tough space. They have a single generation to become a consuming nation or miss the bus.

Stupido

Pride was born when BLACK and BROWN TRANS women stood their ground and lead the Stone Wall Riots. Every bit of rights we have today all stem back to the original brick thrown at Stonewall by Marsha P. Johnson. Updating the Pride flag to honor her legacy is anything but "pandering" or "soulless", and couldn't be a better representation of the reason for celebrating Pride.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom