Disney to trial new allergy friendly menus at pilot locations this month

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
I understand that's your choice and your decision.

But I cannot agree with it and I cannot encourage it.

If you honestly think thar delaying your food by five or 10 minutes is more important than your health,… I'm just totally speechless.
Its not so much the delay that is my issue. 5-10 minutes is n biggie. I've had it take closer to 20-30 minutes before. Once the chef shows up it often turns into a major production of me trying to convince the chef that cross contamination isn't an issue for me. Just keep actual nuts out of my food and I'm good to go. I completely understand why they try to avoid serving me everything that could have possibly come in contact with a nut, but in my case it's unnecessary. Far too much of a hassle for all involved. I'd prefer to police my own food if I have to and free up the chef to go deal with someone who needs a kosher, gluten free, low sodium, lactose free meal.

Good thing she didn't ask you to. :D
:rolleyes:;)

Yeah...I used to think like you. My parents didn't want me, when I was in middle school and had first developed the allergies. But then one time I didn't, and I regretted it. It wasn't listed on the menu that there were nuts in a particular product. Thankfully they were visible and I didn't eat any of it, but still. Ever since then, I always tell them about the allergies. I understand that sometimes waiting for the chef and then going through the hullabaloo is a pain, but what was worse was that the one time I said nothing, it was an extra hour that we were there. Just something to think about.
I've had things like this happen outside of Disney restaurants. My radar for nuts in food is very finely tuned. I can generally sniff out (literally... I can smell PB from two rooms away) those suckers in a hurry. I take full responsibility for anything bad that might happen.

lazyboy97o

I think this is going to be both good and bad for both.

For chefs, it frees up their time and now they won't have to be thrown off by creating dishes of the top of their head to accommodate allergies. But it limits their freedom for those that do enjoy creating those dishes.

For guest, it saves them time and can provide more options for them to choose from. But if these dishes become a stand throughout WDW. They may get stuck eating the same dishes over and over.
I would imagine that many of the chefs had certain go-to dishes for the more common concerns.

jakeman

I've had things like this happen outside of Disney restaurants. My radar for nuts in food is very finely tuned. I can generally sniff out (literally... I can smell PB from two rooms away) those suckers in a hurry. I take full responsibility for anything bad that might happen.
As long as you promise to quietly anaphylax in the bathroom away from other guest, I think we can all be square.

I paid $35 for my Tonga Toast, I can't have some nut-commando seizing up three tables away causing a ruckus.

Joke of course. Please be safe. Don't die. Especially in a restaurant.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
As long as you promise to quietly anaphylax in the bathroom away from other guest, I think we can all be square.

I paid $35 for my Tonga Toast, I can't have some nut-commando seizing up three tables away causing a ruckus.

Joke of course. Please be safe. Don't die. Especially in a restaurant.

No worries. I won't die. Just get itchy and bumpy. I'll be sure to take my hives outside until the Benadryl kicks in. :cool:

FigmentFan3

As a fairly severe tree nut allergy patient, I speak from experience saying that allergies can be very frustrating. No baked goods at parties, and a quart ziploc bag full of emergency medications can get kind of old. Thus, greeting the chefs and working out my meal, or dessert more often than that is quite a magical experience. One of the chefs I've met at 1900 Park Fare even has a legacy badge that my custom from scratch dessert was a clear example of why his name tag is blue.

BrerJon

This is precisely why I avoid mentioning my allergy to WDW whenever possible. I also avoid Kona Cafe after having three bad experiences there with food and allergies. Twice they have flat out refused to serve me any of their desserts. Wouldn't even modify anything for me.

If a table has been flagged as having an allergy, it's in the computers and the managers can see if a chef hasn't authorised the food, leading to the server getting penalised automatically, possibly fired. It's not the server's fault, but Disney policy that they are so scared of being sued that it's zero tolerance.

If your allergy will make you really sick, then it's worth mentioning and getting the chef to come out. But if you just don't like the taste of something, or would be fine if somebody else on your table had it and don't worry about cross-contamination, then be aware that saying you have allergies will add significant time to your meal.

I suspect if there are occasions where things can't be modified it's because they're using packaged food or things made in big batches, so probably a good sign to avoid that venue anyway.

Last edited:

PhotoDave219

Its not so much the delay that is my issue. 5-10 minutes is n biggie. I've had it take closer to 20-30 minutes before. Once the chef shows up it often turns into a major production of me trying to convince the chef that cross contamination isn't an issue for me. Just keep actual nuts out of my food and I'm good to go. I completely understand why they try to avoid serving me everything that could have possibly come in contact with a nut, but in my case it's unnecessary. Far too much of a hassle for all involved. I'd prefer to police my own food if I have to and free up the chef to go deal with someone who needs a kosher, gluten free, low sodium, lactose free meal.

:rolleyes:;)

At least you're willing to take responsibilty.

Kinda like that family that took their 12 year old to Cape May Cafe with a shellfish allergy and didn't tell the restaurant.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I understand that's your choice and your decision.

But I cannot agree with it and I cannot encourage it.

If you honestly think thar delaying your food by five or 10 minutes is more important than your health,… I'm just totally speechless.
It all depends on what your allergic reaction is going to be. Most people with allergies have a very good idea of just how much risk they can take. I had an allergy to turmeric for several years (it's gone now, replaced with something far worse, but that's another story). Turmeric is a spice that is in a whole lot of things (not just Indian food), and it is very rare for somebody to be allergic to it. The reaction I would have was potentially dangerous if I left it alone. However, the reaction would come about 8 hours after eating it, and would come on slowly over the course of several hours. So, as long as I had medication with me, I could take it if it was worried I might have eaten turmeric, or could take it at the first sign of a reaction, and the medication would calm things down before anything dangerous or more than mildly uncomfortable would occur.

Given those consequences, I would do my best to avoid turmeric, but generally not call out a chef, for the same reasons @Victoria mentioned.

BrerJon

The onus is on the guest to tell the chef what they are allergic to and to notify the restaurant. I do think this is a positive change because of the ridiculous rise of food allergies in the past 20 years. Which makes me wonder exactly what the hell are we putting in our food chain… But I digress.

I think it's less what people are eating and more what they're not, or at least what they're not being exposed to.

Most modern widespread allergies are caused by people spending less time outside exposed to germs and more time inside squeeky clean houses, and kids food is preserved and disinfected within an inch of its life.

Without regular exposure to multiple bacteria at a very young age, the body doesn't develop the right immune sensitivities so people grow up to react badly to things that nature intended for them to be fine with.

Paranoia about germs, hygiene and a lack of awareness of the collateral damage of killing essential bacteria when we disinfect to kill bad bacteria, together with many kids being kept out of dirt and mud and inside houses where the only bacteria they are exposed to is their own families, have led to a situation where allergies have exploded in our society. Wide use of antibiotics hasn't helped either, as these too suppress the bacteria that teach our immune system not to react badly.

BrerJon

For chefs, it frees up their time and now they won't have to be thrown off by creating dishes of the top of their head to accommodate allergies. But it limits their freedom for those that do enjoy creating those dishes.

Disney chefs are horrendously busy and overworked, and budget cuts haven't helped that, so I think they'll be grateful.

Most chefs have stock dishes they make for various allergies, and I suspect it's those that will end up on the allergies menu. So they'll still be able to get creative, just won't have to bring the kitchen to a halt while they come to the table for something common like peanuts or gluten.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I simply cannot understand why someone would choose not to tell a chef of their allergies.
Because not all allergies are life and death.

I am allergic to oregano which is used in pretty much everything. The absolute worst reaction I get from it is a sinus headache. There is absolutely zero reason for me to call out a chef and have him/her make me a special meal so I won't have to take some aspirin later that evening.

Last edited:

PhotoDave219

Because not all allergies are life and death.

I am allergic to oregano which is used in pretty much everything. The absolute worst reaction I get from it is a sinus headache. There is absolutely zero reason for me to call out a chef and have him/her make me a special meal so I won't have to take some aspirin alter that evening.

Well it looks like I'm not buying you pizza anytime soon.

I also didn't think I needed to qualify whether or not the allergy was life-threatening.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

I also didn't think I needed to qualify whether or not the allergy was life-threatening.
I will probably get pizza tonight and chase it with a couple Bayer.

And you don't have to qualify. Not telling a chef about an allergy is totally up to the individual, you just have to deal with the consequences of your decision.

BrerJon

You woud think that people would only answer 'yes' to the allergies question if they had something serious, but that's not the case.

Lots of guests make a big deal about their 'allergies', and then it transpires that they simply don't like the taste, or feel bloated if they eat something or whatever, or could easily not choose a dish.

Obviously though Disney would prefer these 'cry wolf' situations to taking the risk of legal action, so policy is always to assume once a guest has mentioned they have allergies, even if they say it's no big deal, then the restaurant has to assume that allergy = death.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom