Disney to trial new allergy friendly menus at pilot locations this month

jakeman

Well I'm ambivalent about this change.

On the one hand it's good that people who have legitimate allergies will have an easier time ordering and not have to wait on the availability of the chef.

On the other, I'm afraid this change is due to the number of people who WebMD'd their allergies into existence and therefore was placing an undo burden on the chef to develop individual dishes multiple times a night.

EDIT: Overall, I feel bad for the chefs. They legitimately enjoy creating new dishes, but I'm sure in the past decade they have become overwhelmed by the number of "allergies" they have to deal with.

dreamfinder

Well I'm ambivalent about this change.

On the one hand it's good that people who have legitimate allergies will have an easier time ordering and not have to wait on the availability of the chef.

On the other, I'm afraid this change is due to the number of people who WebMD'd their allergies into existence and therefore was placing an undo burden on the chef to develop individual dishes multiple times a night.

EDIT: Overall, I feel bad for the chefs. They legitimately enjoy creating new dishes, but I'm sure in the past decade they have become overwhelmed by the number of "allergies" they have to deal with.

I don't know if this will bring about that much change for the chefs. A few did seem to come up with awesome dishes each night for guests, but others just seemed to have a rote set of allergy safe meals they can make. Seen my DM get way to many GF meals that seem to be cop outs. Simply slapping a burger on a packaged bun and pulling some salad mix from a new container hardly seems to be on par with the other meals they can and do prepare.

durangojim

I hope they don't roll this out across the whole resort. My wife has some allergies and one of the things that we've always been extremely appreciative is the level of detail and attention the chefs have. They will frequently make whatever my wife requests and sometimes come up with new options not even on the menu. If the allergy menu becomes standard, I could see some people not being able to enjoy a similar type of entre at a restaurant that they wanted to originally have (if that makes sense).

Bolna

Don't they already have that at Jiko? My sister got a lactose-free special menu there and loved being able to choose what she wanted instead if having to rely on the creativity of the chef.

AC21075

I for one am glad they're freeing up the chefs a bit. I have a tree nut allergy, but haven't had issues with cross contamination, and I react quickly enough to know I've eaten something before I eat enough to get really sick. I generally just need to check if tree nuts are somehow "hidden" in the pesto or cheesecake crust and not mentioned on the menu.

But on our last trip, I mentioned this to our waiter at Kona Cafe and got flagged for the chef to speak to. Unfortunately for us, the table flagged ahead of us was a family of four apparently juggling three different allergies each and it took 20-30 minutes to get them squared away. Good for them, but in the meantime our waiter was apparently prevented from putting in any of our order (sushi and other things that were pretty obviously nut-free) or just going ahead and bringing regular butter with the bread instead of the macadamia nut butter that set off the process in the first place.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
I for one am glad they're freeing up the chefs a bit. I have a tree nut allergy, but haven't had issues with cross contamination, and I react quickly enough to know I've eaten something before I eat enough to get really sick. I generally just need to check if tree nuts are somehow "hidden" in the pesto or cheesecake crust and not mentioned on the menu.

But on our last trip, I mentioned this to our waiter at Kona Cafe and got flagged for the chef to speak to. Unfortunately for us, the table flagged ahead of us was a family of four apparently juggling three different allergies each and it took 20-30 minutes to get them squared away. Good for them, but in the meantime our waiter was apparently prevented from putting in any of our order (sushi and other things that were pretty obviously nut-free) or just going ahead and bringing regular butter with the bread instead of the macadamia nut butter that set off the process in the first place.

This is precisely why I avoid mentioning my allergy to WDW whenever possible. I also avoid Kona Cafe after having three bad experiences there with food and allergies. Twice they have flat out refused to serve me any of their desserts. Wouldn't even modify anything for me.

I hate getting delayed waiting for a chef to come out. I'm pretty good at figuring out stuff on menus that is nut free and if I suspect an item might be hiding something I'll order something different. I'll take my chances.

TRONorail12

It is WDW POLICY that a server cannot bring any food to an allergy table until the chef has verified the severity of the allergy. The server can be reprimanded up to and including termination from the company because there is a health risk involving a guest.

DisDadWoz

Our biggest concern with my wife (who has a seafood/shellfish allergy) is cross contamination with items being cooked in the same fryer, same grill, or using same utensils. So we'll still need to speak with the chef for those instances. We've been more than impressed with Disney chefs everywhere with their level of concern about this. I'm sure the new menus will help many people which is great as some of the people we have spoken to simply said they just need to see what the other options they can order are.

StarWarsGirl

I love this idea. I'll still have to speak to the chef since I have some odd allergies, but at least we can start at the nut free menu and go from there. Makes things simpler. Would love to see this implemented at every counter service restaurant

PhotoDave219

As someone who dines with friends who have some severe allergies including gluten and tree nuts, it's been really interesting to see how are and all that the Walt Disney World resort.

The onus is on the guest to tell the chef what they are allergic to and to notify the restaurant. I do think this is a positive change because of the ridiculous rise of food allergies in the past 20 years. Which makes me wonder exactly what the hell are we putting in our food chain… But I digress.

There is a growing problem and it's important for her just need to be receptive of guests needs.

PhotoDave219

This is precisely why I avoid mentioning my allergy to WDW whenever possible. I also avoid Kona Cafe after having three bad experiences there with food and allergies. Twice they have flat out refused to serve me any of their desserts. Wouldn't even modify anything for me.

I hate getting delayed waiting for a chef to come out. I'm pretty good at figuring out stuff on menus that is nut free and if I suspect an item might be hiding something I'll order something different. I'll take my chances.

I understand that's your choice and your decision.

But I cannot agree with it and I cannot encourage it.

If you honestly think thar delaying your food by five or 10 minutes is more important than your health,… I'm just totally speechless.

Nemo14

My sister developed some severe allergies after a bout with Lyme Disease, but has always been able to find something she can eat at most restaurants in WDW. Explaining it all to the chef each time though is kind of a nuisance.

Last edited:

StarWarsGirl

Yeah...I used to think like you. My parents didn't want me, when I was in middle school and had first developed the allergies. But then one time I didn't, and I regretted it. It wasn't listed on the menu that there were nuts in a particular product. Thankfully they were visible and I didn't eat any of it, but still. Ever since then, I always tell them about the allergies. I understand that sometimes waiting for the chef and then going through the hullabaloo is a pain, but what was worse was that the one time I said nothing, it was an extra hour that we were there. Just something to think about.

misterID

Yeah...I used to think like you. My parents didn't want me, when I was in middle school and had first developed the allergies. But then one time I didn't, and I regretted it. It wasn't listed on the menu that there were nuts in a particular product. Thankfully they were visible and I didn't eat any of it, but still. Ever since then, I always tell them about the allergies. I understand that sometimes waiting for the chef and then going through the hullabaloo is a pain, but what was worse was that the one time I said nothing, it was an extra hour that we were there. Just something to think about.

It's almost automatic now. If I'm not sure, I always let them know, just to be safe. If the employee isn't sure, it takes like ten-fifteen seconds to get an answer from a manager. I don't have the allergy and find myself avoiding tainted food... and I love Reces. I'm like a closet alcoholic, hiding and eating my peanut butter cup and cleaning and sanitizing, getting rid of all evidence

It's nice having smart devices and you can find it pretty quickly and thoroughly, but still, not always. And it's always good to ask. For me personally, seeing the effects first hand, inconvenience doesn't trump safety, imo.

PrincessNelly_NJ

I think this is going to be both good and bad for both.

For chefs, it frees up their time and now they won't have to be thrown off by creating dishes of the top of their head to accommodate allergies. But it limits their freedom for those that do enjoy creating those dishes.

For guest, it saves them time and can provide more options for them to choose from. But if these dishes become a stand throughout WDW. They may get stuck eating the same dishes over and over.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom