Disney to start Furloughs April 19th

celluloid

I know people furloughed for 4 weeks. Not that I’m saying the parks will reopen in June.

And it would be even less than 4 weeks if they were to hypothetically be ready to open then anyway(I know you are saying they are not) because a lot of salaried and casting people who make scheduels for hourly positions were furloughed as well.
That would not even be time for the first check of to he situation issued.

Giss Neric

I know this is Disney but what about those other parks like Six Flags, Cedar Parks, Sea World, Busch Gardens etc. I don't hear much from them. It seems like all eyes and ears are on Disney. I'm just assuming those other parks will be affected as well, or even worse than Disney.

JoeCamel

I know this is Disney but what about those other parks like Six Flags, Cedar Parks, Sea World, Busch Gardens etc. I don't hear much from them. It seems like all eyes and ears are on Disney. I'm just assuming those other parks will be affected as well, or even worse than Disney.
Some of those regional parks will be sold off as they don't have the resources to survive the forced downtime. SEA said they have 113M in new financing from lenders so they are good for a while.

Disorbust

Hoping someone here can help answer this question. My DD just got furloughed and she is currently taking a grad class thru Penn State, not Aspire, that Disney was suppose to pay for when completed in June. Now she is reading that the tuition payment will be considered wages and effect her unemployment. I just can't believe it because how is Disney telling their CMs they can continue there Aspire program, doesn't that effect their unemployment?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Hoping someone here can help answer this question. My DD just got furloughed and she is currently taking a grad class thru Penn State, not Aspire, that Disney was suppose to pay for when completed in June. Now she is reading that the tuition payment will be considered wages and effect her unemployment. I just can't believe it because how is Disney telling their CMs they can continue there Aspire program, doesn't that effect their unemployment?
Did a bit of research, and we'd need to know which state she's a resident of and where she's claiming unemployment, as each state has different rules about stipends and unemployment. She probably should call/check the website of the state where she's claiming to verify how much she can get weekly before it affects her benefits.

-em

Did she pay for it and expecting reimbursement or did they cover it?

If she did then yes I could see that being considered income and I’d prob hold off submitting for it until post furlough.

if they paid for it then zero to worry about since it’ done on the backend and not ‘income’.

Disorbust

They pay Penn State after the class is completed in June and she will be on "furlough". This is what I have found:

Are there changes to the rules if my employer repays some of my student loans?
Yes. Some employers do this as an employee benefit. Between the date the bill is signed and the end of 2020, they can offer up to $5,250 of assistance without that money counting as part of the employee’s income. If the employer pays tuition for classes an employee is taking, that money will also count toward the $5,250.

So as I read it, it should be covered?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
They pay Penn State after the class is completed in June and she will be on "furlough". This is what I have found:

Yes. Some employers do this as an employee benefit. Between the date the bill is signed and the end of 2020, they can offer up to $5,250 of assistance without that money counting as part of the employee’s income. If the employer pays tuition for classes an employee is taking, that money will also count toward the $5,250.

That's what I saw as well. Anything over $5250 will count as income against unemployment benefits. Anything under that should be exempt. You might want to consult an accountant to verify this, as I'm not a tax expert (and I don't play one on WDWMagic).

-em

Correct. It’s the same rules as Aspire.
Most wouldn’t trip this matrix unless it becomes really long furlough which is why it’s ‘not an issue currently’ if we get to sept/oct when they start paying fall semester bills then it may change (but if we are still furloughed then that’s probably the least of people’s problems)

WDW862

Looks like the announcement will finally be made today

Attachments

• unitehere.PNG
    unitehere.PNG
    165 KB · Views: 101

DCBaker

Premium Member
Here are the announced details, per the STCU:
  • Everyone’s job, seniority, wage rate and benefits are guaranteed through the furlough, even if you stay on furlough after Disney reopens. Seniority continues indefinitely beyond 12 months.
  • Everyone who has insurance will keep it for the duration of the furlough up to 12 months, including both full-time
    workers as well as part-time workers who qualify under the Affordable Care Act.
  • Insurance means all insurance benefits: medical, dental, life, etc. with no exceptions.
  • Disney will pay 100% of your insurance. You will not owe back payments when you return to work.
  • For insurance eligibility and pension contributions, full-time workers will be credited 40 hours per week during the furlough. Part-time workers will get credit for their weekly average hours worked since October 2019.
  • If you are a new worker, you can choose insurance after your 90-day probation just as you had planned.
  • If you come back from an approved Leave of Absence during the furlough, you are covered by the Union’s
    agreement.
  • If you have a qualifying life event, you can get insurance. Example, if you had insurance through your spouse but
    your spouse loses their job, you can enroll in Disney insurance. The same is true for a divorce or the birth of a
    child.
  • If the furlough continues until the next open enrollment period in 2020, you will be able to choose insurance.
  • Vacation, Floating Holidays and Paid Time Off (part-time employees): From April 12-18, you can choose to have it
    paid out weekly up to 40 hours per week until it is gone.
  • Full-time employees can also choose to be paid out accumulated sick days above 96 hours.
  • Other basic programs continue: HUB access, Aspire, Maingate, etc.
  • If you are in a job that requires certain skills or proficiencies, the Company cannot say you lose them.
  • A small group of less than 200 workers will do “essential” duties during the closure. The work will be offered to
    volunteers by seniority. If not enough people volunteer, the work will be assigned to the least senior workers. If
    you have a legitimate health, safety, childcare or other reason you cannot work, you will not be forced to work
    and you will not be penalized. You will remain on furlough.
  • If any worker covered by Disney insurance needs COVID-19 testing, Disney insurance will pay for it.

Last edited by a moderator:

YodaMan

Here are the announced details, per the STCU:
  • Everyone’s job, seniority, wage rate and benefits are guaranteed through the furlough, even if you stay on furlough after Disney reopens. Seniority continues indefinitely beyond 12 months.
  • Everyone who has insurance will keep it for the duration of the furlough up to 12 months, including both full-time
    workers as well as part-time workers who qualify under the Affordable Care Act.
  • Insurance means all insurance benefits: medical, dental, life, etc. with no exceptions.
  • Disney will pay 100% of your insurance. You will not owe back payments when you return to work.
  • For insurance eligibility and pension contributions, full-time workers will be credited 40 hours per week during the furlough. Part-time workers will get credit for their weekly average hours worked since October 2019.
  • If you are a new worker, you can choose insurance after your 90-day probation just as you had planned.
  • If you come back from an approved Leave of Absence during the furlough, you are covered by the Union’s
    agreement.
  • If you have a qualifying life event, you can get insurance. Example, if you had insurance through your spouse but
    your spouse loses their job, you can enroll in Disney insurance. The same is true for a divorce or the birth of a
    child.
  • If the furlough continues until the next open enrollment period in 2020, you will be able to choose insurance.
  • Vacation, Floating Holidays and Paid Time Off (part-time employees): From April 12-18, you can choose to have it
    paid out weekly up to 40 hours per week until it is gone.
  • Full-time employees can also choose to be paid out accumulated sick days above 96 hours.
  • Other basic programs continue: HUB access, Aspire, Maingate, etc.
  • If you are in a job that requires certain skills or proficiencies, the Company cannot say you lose them.
  • A small group of less than 200 workers will do “essential” duties during the closure. The work will be offered to
    volunteers by seniority. If not enough people volunteer, the work will be assigned to the least senior workers. If
    you have a legitimate health, safety, childcare or other reason you cannot work, you will not be forced to work
    and you will not be penalized. You will remain on furlough.
  • If any worker covered by Disney insurance needs COVID-19 testing, Disney insurance will pay for it.

Where’d they get that from? The STCU announcement is at noon and I’ve seen nothing else online yet.

asianway

Most of this is covered in the union contract or by state/federal labor laws. Most of the rest was granted to non union CMs. Why the pomp and circumstance? The union is worthless.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom