Disney to start Furloughs April 19th

el_super

This situation is literally the definition of it. Disney is doing it voluntarily.

Why are you so certain they were doing it voluntarily? The last two weeks of negotiations with the unions (some of which guaranteed their full time CMs 40 hours a week) would show that they had a lot to consider before the furlough.

They certainly handled this about as well as could be expected, but charity it was not.

peter11435

Why are you so certain they were doing it voluntarily? The last two weeks of negotiations with the unions (some of which guaranteed their full time CMs 40 hours a week) would show that they had a lot to consider before the furlough.

They certainly handled this about as well as could be expected, but charity it was not.
They were not obligated to pay the cast members for 5 weeks.

ThatMouse

There's one job that never needs to file for unemployment, software developers, who are now asked to import 75,000 employees into a live database skipping all data integrity checks. Why even have a website?

TrainsOfDisney

So they could make up to $2600. Is this taxable? They could be making more than people with jobs.

It would actually be better for the economy to pay people more... that means they will be willing to spend money now to keep the economy going (ordering online from businesses, getting take-out to keep restaurants in business etc.) and when everything opens up people will have excess money to spend which means they will be traveling again which means more people will get hired back quicker... win win win.

There's one job that never needs to file for unemployment, software developers, who are now asked to import 75,000 employees into a live database skipping all data integrity checks. Why even have a website?
It’s prevents additional strain on an already weak system. Disney is the largest single-site employer in the US - by doing this - it allows other companies employees to access the system without the additional strain of 77,000 employees attempting to log on at the same time. It’s a smart decision and benefits everyone attempting to start the unemployment compensation process.

celluloid

I know this is Disney but what about those other parks like Six Flags, Cedar Parks, Sea World, Busch Gardens etc. I don't hear much from them. It seems like all eyes and ears are on Disney. I'm just assuming those other parks will be affected as well, or even worse than Disney.

As bad as Sea World has it with misguided extremists and odd executive leadership choices in the past, their set up for social Distancing if asked of the parks long term would be the easiest with stadium style seating and families sitting with large gaps between them. It happens defacto when the places are not busy anyway.

Lilofan

It’s prevents additional strain on an already weak system. Disney is the largest single-site employer in the US - by doing this - it allows other companies employees to access the system without the additional strain of 77,000 employees attempting to log on at the same time. It’s a smart decision and benefits everyone attempting to start the unemployment compensation process.
Best Buy just furloughed 51K employees. Add to the millions applying for unemployment.

disney4life2008

This is why Rick Scott was trying to pump the brakes

I'm sorry but something doesn't make sense. Im all for helping people out. But there are full time workers at my job who are working remotely who are not making $2600 a month.

But I have issues with free money anyway. People on public aid should not be allowed to buy steak and lobster. Or use their public aid card to get cash back.

Lilofan

I'm sorry but something doesn't make sense. Im all for helping people out. But there are full time workers at my job who are working remotely who are not making $2600 a month.

But I have issues with free money anyway. People on public aid should not be allowed to buy steak and lobster. Or use their public aid card to get cash back.
Glad that the SNAP card won't allow eligible people to buy alcohol, cigarettes and pet food. We the taxpayers shouldn't be financing poverty stricken folks with these items.

Best Buy just furloughed 51K employees. Add to the millions applying for unemployment.
I’m not sure - but I don’t believe that they furloughed 51k employees in Florida. Aren’t we talking about the Florida unemployment system? And those 51K employees don’t apply for unemployment through a federal website - they apply in the states that they are employed. There isn’t one company in the United States that is putting their employees into one state system at one time that matches the number that is happening with Disney soon in Florida.

If it happens - it’s intent is to ease the burden on a severely lacking state unemployment system. It’s not going to give Disney cast any unfair advantage over anyone else applying for unemployment. It is actually designed to make it easier for other people trying to apply at the same time.

Lilofan

I’m not sure - but I don’t believe that they furloughed 51k employees in Florida. Aren’t we talking about the Florida unemployment system? And those 51K employees don’t apply for unemployment through a federal website - they apply in the states that they are employed. There isn’t one company in the United States that is putting their employees into one state system at one time that matches the number that is happening with Disney soon in Florida.

If it happens - it’s intent is to ease the burden on a severely lacking state unemployment system. It’s not going to give Disney cast any unfair advantage over anyone else applying for unemployment. It is actually designed to make it easier for other people trying to apply at the same time.
Best Buy furloughed 51K employees in the USA.

Who suggested that those seeking unemployment are buying steak and lobster? They are/were employed people that got furloughed through no fault of their own. This money is intended to put dollars back into the economy so that we have businesses that can stay in business as we migrate through this pandemic.
If millions of people have no money - they can’t pay rent, they can’t buy food, they can’t buy gasoline, they can’t pay electric bills. Do you want those millions of hardworking people to be homeless and have to deal with that economic crisis? Connect those dots and then imagine how that may affect your entitled situation. The trickledown effect to everyone is unimaginable.

Glad that the SNAP card won't allow eligible people to buy alcohol, cigarettes and pet food. We the taxpayers shouldn't be financing poverty stricken folks with these items.
Are you suggesting that Furloughed employees would otherwise use snap benefits for alcohol, cigarettes, and pet food? Poverty stricken? Are you equating everyone that lost their job due to Covid-19 is poverty stricken? I’m really confused.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom