Disney to reveal plans on Golden Oak development.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Between the new Art of Animation hotel, the rumored DVC resort, and now this development, it seems TDO is allocating a lot of coin and resources on lodging. I hope they don't believe the FLE alone will bring the numbers in to fill all of the rooms. Hopefully this will mean a further expansion for the parks as well.....

Four Seasons was originally going to be the one building and marketing these properties. They apparently got cold feet and backed out and only wanted to build the hotel. Disney is stepping in now and taking over the "residential" portion of the project.

I hope this idea goes over better than Celebration apparently did...

There is nothing wrong with Celebration it has just seen a decrease in property value just like the rest of central florida.

Atomicmickey

Anyone have a map of the land that was de-annexed?

My first thought was about these owners voting in RCID--so what will they be a part of, now?

Anyone understand this? A zoning map would be helpful.

*starts to save 8 million dollars, one at a time*

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Intriguing. Disney would not move forward with this unless they figured out a way to disenfranchise the homeowners from voting in the City of Bay Lake and RCID elections. I wonder what kind of trick they will pull there?
See below

I thought that this property was de-annexed and is no longer part of RCID. I could be wrong though... :shrug:
You are correct. The property is no longer part of Reedy Creek hence the residents have no say in WDW affairs.

themeparkdude

This has the potential to be a great idea.

The property is away from guest areas so it will be out of sight, out of mind for most.

This could be the beginnings of a local community with some influence over WDW.

If I was buying a multi-million dollar home with its primary purpose being ease of access to WDW then I would want WDW to maintain a high quality as well.

The land was rezoned. As said on the website:
Golden Oak represents the first opportunity for individuals to enjoy whole homeownership at the Walt Disney World® Resort. Golden Oak residents are under the governance of Orange County, Florida.

Meaning they will not have any influence in wdw.

Korfar

See below

You are correct. The property is no longer part of Reedy Creek hence the residents have no say in WDW affairs.

This is good to know. I would be very dissapointed if these landowners had a say in WDW affairs. That could have been the end of WDW as we know it. I still don't like it. I would have prefered that land to be used in a way that all guests could utilize.

Atomicmickey

Great news!
If you save $1 a day, you can own one of these houses in 21,902.8 years!
If you save $1 an hour, you can own one of these houses in 912.6 years!

Holey Moley! I did some math based on this, and I discovered that if I can save just $1,000,000 per day, I can get the nicest one, next week!

Sounds like that's the ticket!

*goes to look under the couch cushions*

EpcotServo

Only 8 Million Dollars for "A World of Access and Privilege"?*

That's Disney for you. So cheap. This isn't fit for my Servant's family, let alone mine.

Plus I doubt it has access for my Mini-Submarine to get into Bay Lake or World Showcase lagoon, so what's the point?

*Actual Dou-chey quote from the real website

wbc

What is their definition of "on property?"

A lot of people don't know how Disney works.

Disney is actually two cities: Bay Lake, Florida and Lake Buena Visa, Florida. They are part of Reedy Creek Improvment District and were created in the 60s for Disney. More details on wiki of course: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reedy_Creek_Improvement_District

That's right. When you pay sales tax at Disney World, it goes DIRECTLY to Disney World (unless it's state tax).

Less than 50 people actually are residents. They are all disney employees. This keeps Disney in complete control of Disney World. At one time, there were more than 50 and disney got rid of them for a reason :)

If this were actually on Disney property, than these people would have potential for voting rights. Technically, they'd be able to "run" or have a say in how Disney operates.

If they are on property, I doubt they will actually be property to own. Maybe some kind of extravagant lease system in which you wouldn't get any votes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom