Disney to reveal plans on Golden Oak development.

Master Gracey 5

Original Poster
News today that Disney will be moving forward with the Golden Oak development near the planned Four Seasons. The link is from WSJ, so not sure if you'll be able to read it without an online account.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...003529487016.html?mod=WSJ_hps_MIDDLEFifthNews

Looks like they'll be starting off slow with only 30 lots available this year, so they'll be testing the waters first. Not sure how much of a demand they'll see, but it should be interesting to say the least.

mpaul32001

For some reason, I don't like the fact of Disney selling multimillion dollar homes on property...I can't put my finger on it, but it just doesn't sit right with me.

Maybe I'm just jealous because I can't afford one? :shrug:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Part of me is glad that Disney believes the economy is turning around to the degree that these houses could be built and sold. Another part of me is a little disappointed that they are being built so close to the parks...

jakeman

This has the potential to be a great idea.

The property is away from guest areas so it will be out of sight, out of mind for most.

This could be the beginnings of a local community with some influence over WDW.

If I was buying a multi-million dollar home with its primary purpose being ease of access to WDW then I would want WDW to maintain a high quality as well.

DocMcHulk

Where does this fit in relation to Fort Wilderness? THe icon is where Fort Wilderness is.

http://www./wp-content/uploads/2010/06/golden-oak-map.jpg

durangojim

This seems like a really odd idea to me with a very small potential market. But I guess if you can afford to spend 1.5 - 8 million dollars, this probably won't be your primary residence.

devoy1701

selling private homes on property that could have potentially held something for all resort guests to enjoy one day?

In a way this matches Walt's original idea for Florida, though I doubt these are going to be Cast Members living here!

As much as I would love to own a house in Walt Disney World, I don't like this idea.

Eyorefan

This has the potential to be a great idea.

The property is away from guest areas so it will be out of sight, out of mind for most.

This could be the beginnings of a local community with some influence over WDW.

If I was buying a multi-million dollar home with its primary purpose being ease of access to WDW then I would want WDW to maintain a high quality as well.

I agree with this. Although, with the popularity of DVC one would think that Disney would get this already.

prberk

I believe that it is across Bay lake, and to the right of Fort Wilderness, which is why I do not agree with it. There was genious in making Fort Wilderness' "Settlement" area appear to be on the banks of a pristine body of water (such as would have been the view that the settlers of Jamestown had across the James River in the 1600s...).

I wish they wouldn't do anything with this land (except perhaps another River Country type of thing).

Paul

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I believe that it is across Bay lake, and to the right of Fort Wilderness, which is why I do not agree with it. There was genious in making Fort Wilderness' "Settlement" area appear to be on the banks of a pristine body of water (such as would have been the view that the settlers of Jamestown had across the James River in the 1600s...).

I wish they wouldn't do anything with this land (except perhaps another River Country type of thing).

Paul
It will not be visible from Ft Wilderness and will not be directly on Bay Lake. Aside from the entrance being on the route for some of the buses heading to MK guests will never see this place.

jakeman

I don't think this is Disney's first foray into real estate on property.

Weren't there apartments or something in the area of SSR back in the late 70's?

Magenta Panther

I hope this idea goes over better than Celebration apparently did...

Still, this intrigues me. I'd love to live near the park. Better start saving those pennies...:lol:

scmit02

I kind of like this idea although out of my price range I see there being a huge demand for these homes. People pay way over the standard Orlando market value to live in Celebration so the I think these will have no problem selling. These residents will demand quality and as long as it is not diverted to them from the resorts or overall property I see this being a win-win.

vonpluto

miles1

This seems like a really odd idea to me with a very small potential market. But I guess if you can afford to spend 1.5 - 8 million dollars, this probably won't be your primary residence.

I'm in a business involved in real estate tansactions in one of the richest areas of the country. You're right, for the people that can afford this type of price tag it won't be their primary residence. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if some of them only set foot in the place a few times before selling it again. For them, this is just another toy or added "bling". After a few visits they'll get bored and move on to the next thing.

Monorail Lime

Intriguing. Disney would not move forward with this unless they figured out a way to disenfranchise the homeowners from voting in the City of Bay Lake and RCID elections. I wonder what kind of trick they will pull there?

tahqa

Intriguing. Disney would not move forward with this unless they figured out a way to disenfranchise the homeowners from voting in the City of Bay Lake and RCID elections. I wonder what kind of trick they will pull there?
I thought that this property was de-annexed and is no longer part of RCID. I could be wrong though... :shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom