Disney to raise prices for second time this year

napnet

Original Poster
This begs the question, should you buy up tickets a long time before you go (no expiration ones) to save money like an investment?

Walt Disney World said today it is increasing its base ticket price to $67 Sunday, the second price increase this year.

Disney officials did not say what is prompting the $4 increase -- which also affects prices across the board in the company's "Magic Your Way" flexible ticket plans -- except to say the new price is in line with the needs of the travel industry.

The base price went to $63 on Jan. 1, up from $59.75 in 2005.

The latest increase amounts to a 6.3 percent hike in the price of a basic one-day, one-park ticket to any of Disney's four parks: Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Disney-MGM Studios or Disney's Animal Kingdom.

"We're implementing this to better coordinate with the overall travel industry," said Jacquee Polak, Disney's director of media relations. "We believe we offer a great value and remain competitive in the market."

Historically, Disney World and Orlando's other two theme park resorts, Universal Orlando and SeaWorld Orlando, have raised prices within a few weeks of one another to keep relatively close. Universal went to $63 in January and SeaWorld went to $61.95 in December.

There was no immediate word on whether either of them expect to raise prices soon, though Becca Bides, SeaWorld's director of communications, said that park's prices are based on SeaWorld business, not Disney competition.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/orl-bk-disneyprice04,0,2235520.story?track=rss

darthjohnny

Wow. Business must be booming and they are milking every penny. I used to buy park hoppers and saved the unused days, but that was when park hoppers all had no expiration date, you didn't have to pay extra for that perk with the Magic Your Way. They are going to profit big, why else would they raise prices?

But.....
Could this mean Disney is raising revenue to build something new and big??? :confused:
When they build new parks, the tickets always go up. I'm not trying to start another 5th gate rumor, but this may be the start of something amazing...just a thought....

Desperad07

Maybe Disney is feeling the burn of oil prices like the rest of the country. Not just for the gas we put in our cars and how we heat our homes, but we constantly see price hikes for mail delivery, groceries, clothing, etc. Anything that entails fuel, directly or indirectly, seems to be affected by it. I imagine the theme parks use a lot of it, and not just for the buses.

I see it everywhere in NJ and NY so I honestly can't fault them for falling in line with the rest of this gas-crippled nation. If I have to sit here and watch food go up sometimes $1 per item and watch gas prices per gallon go up sometimes 20 cents in a day, i honestly can't fault them for hiking it up $4.

Of course, i could be talking out of me bum about why! But when you hear a reference to the "travel industry", it gives off a oil-centric vibe.

jcldtrek

It wouldn't be bad if they raised the prices and added new rides like 1 or 2 a yr per park but seriously how many has disney opened lately per park, other than everest and soarin and that goddly stitch. plus a company that owns a tv station, sports network, and a couple studios, and god knows what else and they still need more money. that i can't understand.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
:cry: that means I have to save up even more to make my very tight vacation budget work.

I once heard a quote that is very profound...."If the why is big enough, you will figure the how out."

I would imagine its the direct and indirect cost of fuel. Overall, if you are saving to go on a ten day trip, at most, its an additional $12 (considering the cost per day average decreases the longer you stay). For a family of four thats $48. Not enough to keep you away, but enough to make a difference on Disney's side of it.

marypoppins68

Does anyone know if the price of AP's will also increase? I have a renewal coming up very soon. Do I need to make a quick trip to the Kingdom tomorrow?

Disney4Life

Funny, I was just thinking about tickets prices the other day.

I called Disney once to inquire about 2007 prices, and since those prices have not been released, I was told to expect a 5% increase.

I got to thinking, "geesh, at this rate, in about 10 years it is going to cost over $100 to get into a park". Then my basic Economics kicked in. Disney can only charge as much as the market will bear for their tickets prices. Meaning, sooner or later, their ticket prices have to reach a price equilibrium. In other words, if we just flat our refuse to buy the tickets at the higher prices, Disney would charge so much. Reason being, the surplus (admission to Disney) would far exceed demand (our desire to visit Disney). Much easier said than done!!! For our love of Disney is far too great. Much

Now, I know just as well as the next person...we will pretty much pay anything just to go to Disney. I know I would. Nonetheless, it always amazes me that we as consumers harness so much power within us, and we never even use it. You know, I think I just figured out my dissertation topic!

Long live Disney. See you all there June 1-9, 2007!!!!!

:sohappy:

a2grafix

Will this new raise in ticket prices also effect the military discount tickets? Will the raise "be across the board" all across the board regardless if you are military or not?

Note to self - better go send an email to Shades of Green.

MissM

A raise in Daily ticket prices usually means a raise for the Seasonal and Annual Passes as well:(
Yes but mine are good through May 20th of next year. So I have awhile before I'll have to deal with increase. (And, hopefully, it will be offset by renewal discount.)

Anyone know how much other tickets are going up. Like AP's for example?
-m

Chape19714

Funny, I was just thinking about tickets prices the other day.

I called Disney once to inquire about 2007 prices, and since those prices have not been released, I was told to expect a 5% increase.

I got to thinking, "geesh, at this rate, in about 10 years it is going to cost over $100 to get into a park". Then my basic Economics kicked in. Disney can only charge as much as the market will bear for their tickets prices. Meaning, sooner or later, their ticket prices have to reach a price equilibrium. In other words, if we just flat our refuse to buy the tickets at the higher prices, Disney would charge so much. Reason being, the surplus (admission to Disney) would far exceed demand (our desire to visit Disney). Much easier said than done!!! For our love of Disney is far too great. Much

Now, I know just as well as the next person...we will pretty much pay anything just to go to Disney. I know I would. Nonetheless, it always amazes me that we as consumers harness so much power within us, and we never even use it. You know, I think I just figured out my dissertation topic!

Long live Disney. See you all there June 1-9, 2007!!!!!

:sohappy:
Keep in mind we are dealing with Currency here, the value of a dollar is rapidly decreasing, and will continue to do so for the next few years. I don't remember all the details, but there's a difference between a montary system and a currency, and one of our presidents changed the USD to be a currency rather than a montary system.

Yes but mine are good through May 20th of next year. So I have awhile before I'll have to deal with increase. (And, hopefully, it will be offset by renewal discount.)

Anyone know how much other tickets are going up. Like AP's for example?
-m

Well, they're not effected yet, so here's to hoping! I don't think they were effected during the last increase, I could be wrong though.

KrazyKemp

Thank goodness that my trip is already 100% paid off...

Otherwise I might have to pay another 60 bucks, which is...about the price of a churro right now.

:lol:

Only kidding of course...

colliera

Ouch!

The new Adult Annual Passport goes from $441.98 to $462.21 (tax included); while the Premium Annual Adult Passport goes from $574.05 to $595.36 (tax included.)

AP Gateway is down at the moment. Presumably to make the price changes.

No idea yet what the AP renewal rate will be. Mouse cheese! I was only 14 days out from the 30 day renewal window.

--[Edit]--

Ok, so I called and ordered up a couple of standard AP renewal exchange vouchers by phone. Long pause, but CM Janell found the price at $399.38 plus tax, plus shipping. Same as it has been since January. Unknown if the renewal will remain untouched or their system just hasn't gotten the updated price yet. My thinking was if the website is down for updates maybe the reservation system isn't updated yet either. I was going to buy them in a few days anyway. Seemingly the 30 day window didn't matter.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I once heard a quote that is very profound...."If the why is big enough, you will figure the how out."

I would imagine its the direct and indirect cost of fuel. Overall, if you are saving to go on a ten day trip, at most, its an additional $12 (considering the cost per day average decreases the longer you stay). For a family of four thats $48. Not enough to keep you away, but enough to make a difference on Disney's side of it.

Here is a question.....We received certificates for free APs cause we added on DVC points. Will we have to pay the difference from the price when issued vs the price when activated?

Jacquelina

Funny... when I went to Sea World a couple of weeks ago I realized the price is now the same as Disney (NOT including this last price hike). I have lived in FL for coming close to 15 years.. I don't remember when Anheuser-Busch parks began charging the same as Disney.. Maybe I'm just being ignorant.. these price hikes are becoming too often and too many. Not that I obviously won't spend the extra 4 bucks to get an annual pass... it's just... frustrating I guess... but it's to be expected.. Anyone think (or know if) parking will go up too?

colliera

Exchange in hand is worth . . .

I don't see where free because of DVC would make any difference. If you have the exchange certificate in hand it is as good as the admission media, (ticket.) The last one I had - neon green - had no expiration date on it. However, for renewals it picks up where your AP expires no matter when you exchange it unlike the system before where the AP was in suspended animation until you activated it to a new date.

Any reservation CMs have further details?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom