Disney to open DVC Preview Center in the Chicago area

ZapperZ

Original Poster
This was just in the news. It seems that Disney will be opening a DVC preview area at the Woodfield Mall in the suburb of Chicago. The preview center will include the model of the upcoming DVC unit at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. The reason why they chose to open this preview center in this location?

Disney says it chose the Chicago location because of its proximity to a dense population base and an existing large membership base in and around the Chicago area. It hopes to use existing the word-of-mouth experience of members to attract prospective buyers.

I can testify to that! :)

Zz.

jmuboy

I would not be surprised AT ALL to see a NYC and Hawaii DVC announced soon. It seems that Disney is REALLY looking for profit centers for its resort and park business outside of Anaheim and Orlando. Look at how they have finally decided to double the cruise line business just recently.

typhoonguy

From "the hub"

spacer.gif
spacer.gif
Disney Vacation Club Heads to Chicago

Disney Vacation Club has announced plans to develop Disney's Doorway to Dreams, a first-of-its-kind preview center at the popular Woodfield Mall in suburban Chicago.
"This preview center represents an exciting example of the continuing success story of Disney Vacation Club and the strategic growth plan we've designed to meet the increasing demand for our product," said Jim Lewis, president of Disney Vacation Club. "Disney's Doorway to Dreams in the Woodfield Mall is a terrific location for us to create a unique, highly-themed experience for an audience interested in bringing their vacation dreams to life."
Disney's Doorway to Dreams, slated to open later this summer, will complement existing Disney Vacation Club preview centers at the Disneyland and Walt Disney World Resorts. Disney Cast Members will staff the center, which will feature an interactive family vacation discovery zone, a children's play area and multiple sales support offices within its approximately 6,300 square feet of retail space. Plans also call for the center to include a full-scale replica of a two-bedroom Vacation Home Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas, the new Disney Vacation Club Resort in development at the Walt Disney World Resort. Now celebrating its 15th anniversary and serving more than 300,000 individual Members from all 50 states and more than 100 countries, Disney Vacation Club offers vacations to Disney destinations and more than 500 other popular sites around the world. For more information about Disney Vacation Club and Disney's Doorway to Dreams, visit www.disneysdoorwaytodreams.com.

DisneyMusician2

If this one takes off, you'll start to see them all over the country. This one is probably just a test center at a major metropolitan hub of transportation for the country. I'll be curious to see some of the final pictures after it is opne to see what they make the whole thing look like....massage chairs would be a great start!

Scooter

There was a Florida Tourist Store for a few years at Woodfield Mall. They had pamplets and travel brochures and Florida magazines and Florida travel videos you could watch. My wife and I liked going in there just to see the Disney Movies and Brochures. They finally closed it a couple of years ago.
Woodfield Mall is one of the largest Retail Malls in the area and caters to tons of people of all financial backgrounds and ethnicitys.
I think this is a good move on Disneys part but like The Florida Store, I doubt it will be open for very long.

lenshanem

If they're gonna start building centers everywhere they best getting hurrying up on CRV. :D

Surprised this came out around the same time as the Four Seasons timeshare deal...

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Great... now they are gonna start to pollute our local malls with DVC booths... ick. I just cant seem to escape them. :brick: :lol: :lookaroun

CubsRock

I am from the Schamburg Area of Illinois where Woodfield Mall is located and this is very interesting news. Why us over New York and more importantly are they planning a hotel for Chicago? Maybe they are doing research by opening the kiosk there?

Scooter

I am from the Schamburg Area of Illinois where Woodfield Mall is located and this is very interesting news. Why us over New York and more importantly are they planning a hotel for Chicago? Maybe they are doing research by opening the kiosk there?

I'd say they picked Chicago/Woodfield Mall simply based on Demographics.
That is to say that probably more people in the midwest choose Disney/Florida vacations than people on the West coast or East coast.

Same reason they opened the Disney Quest in Downtown Chicago. Unfortunately it didn't draw as many people as Disney hoped for so they closed it.

Just my guess

KBQueenWDW

Haha, I totally remember that Florida tourism place at Woodfield! My sister and I ALWAYS went in there to watch the videos too!

rdour@techminds

Where In the Mall

Hello,

Any idea where this would go in that mall? I was just there yesterday. I would have looked around if I had a clue this was even happening. However, I did see a very strange store that was like a house gone goth. Very weird. I ate some food at Todai and just bought a BT keyboard at the Apple Store. Didn't get to the Disney store, but heh, they don't even own that thing. Children's Place to me isn't doing a good jop representing the brand quality.

The Disney Quest failed because you don't put an expensive arcade in the middle of downtown Chicago. It is obviously more than an arcade, but when you have tons of shopping and sights to see, why spend the money to sit in a building and play games? This would have been better placed up in Gurnee somewhere by Six Flags Great America.

Speaking of that, what is up with Six Flags selling Disney stuff, and the Wiggles World stuff? I would think this would hurt Disney.

Ryan

ctwhalerman

I'd say they picked Chicago/Woodfield Mall simply based on Demographics.
That is to say that probably more people in the midwest choose Disney/Florida vacations than people on the West coast or East coast.
Same reason they opened the Disney Quest in Downtown Chicago. Unfortunately it didn't draw as many people as Disney hoped for so they closed it.
Just my guess

A mall Chicago's suburbs is a good test site because it is a very wealthy area with a lot of disposable income, and maybe they got a deal from the mall for the space too. I bet Disney opens one up in northern New Jersey or southern Connecticut very soon, because there are similar demos.

And the fact that just about everyone up here goes to Florida for vacation!

bassclef42

Hello,

Any idea where this would go in that mall? I was just there yesterday. I would have looked around if I had a clue this was even happening. However, I did see a very strange store that was like a house gone goth. Very weird. I ate some food at Todai and just bought a BT keyboard at the Apple Store. Didn't get to the Disney store, but heh, they don't even own that thing. Children's Place to me isn't doing a good jop representing the brand quality.

I've been trying to figure out the same thing. The LASIK office on the second floor, right at center court just closed, I'm thinking there's probably about the 6300 sq ft. back there that Disney says they're leasing. Not really sure what else I've seen blocked off lately that's not already taken and is big enough. Of course, there could be a store closing in the next month that's the right size, and Disney might be moving in there. . .

Don't be too hard on the Disney Store. Overall, I think they're doing a pretty good job with something that Disney didn't want to run any more. Also, the consensus in most of the stores is that the clothing quality has gone up now that Children's Place management has taken over. On the other hand, I wouldn't go in there looking for more information about this new preview center. I guarantee you they will not know anything more than what's already been posted online.

k.hunter30

The Disney Quest failed because you don't put an expensive arcade in the middle of downtown Chicago. It is obviously more than an arcade, but when you have tons of shopping and sights to see, why spend the money to sit in a building and play games? This would have been better placed up in Gurnee somewhere by Six Flags Great America.

nah.. I think it would have been great in Navy Pier.

I think putting a DVC place in Woodfield could be a benefit to Disney. There are quite a number of affluent people in Chicagoland; however a good number of them are closer to the lake than near Woodfield...

ZapperZ

Original Poster
Disney is already starting to look for cast members for this new center. A couple of us DVC members got e-mail inviting us to apply to be cast members at this new center. I'm guessing that they're sending this to all DVC members in the Chicago area who have registered online.

So far, they are promoting this preview center as the Disney's Doorway to Dreams. I suppose that is a tie-in with the Year of a Million Dreams.

Zz.

ZapperZ

Original Poster
This just came in the mail for us DVC members in the Chicago area:

Disney's Doorway to Dreams is the first store of its kind anywhere - and you can be among the first to see it! Disney Vacation Club Members and their friends are invited to a special preview of this new retail experience, which brings the magic of Disney Vacation Club to Chicago

Aug. 1st-3rd: Special Member Preview
Aug. 5th : Grand Opening - Come celebrate with Mickey and his friends.

I'm already making plans to be there on the 1st. :)

Zz.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom