News Disney to offer discount on new MagicBand designs as an optional alternative to complimentary solid color MagicBands

jpeden

In the Parks
No
how can they missjudge demand this far off?

They didn’t. This is genius- they’ve created false demand by limiting the supply. Now, people want these even more. Additionally, they got rid of a ton of back stock that probably hasn’t moved since the introduction of some bands.

mmssbrg2

They didn’t. This is genius- they’ve created false demand by limiting the supply. Now, people want these even more. Additionally, they got rid of a ton of back stock that probably hasn’t moved since the introduction of some bands.
Not sure they would have invested the development resources required to change the ordering process within MDE just to move a relatively small volume of overstock at a discounted price.

aaronml

Not sure they would have invested the development resources required to change the ordering process within MDE just to move a relatively small volume of overstock at a discounted price.
A large part of the problem is their decision to ship upgraded bands immediately, instead of closer to the trip date like with the complementary bands. In addition to creating a confusing experience for guests and incurring additional shipping charges for TWDC to pay for, it puts significant stress on the inventory they have in stock in the immediate term, hence bands being sold out so quickly.

A family going on a trip in October doesn’t need their bands shipped to them this week.

Of course...... if they allow people to order a SKU now that won’t be shipped for a trip until Fall 2019, and then they later discontinue the SKU before the ship date, that creates some additional logistical challenges.

MagicHappens

Of course...... if they allow people to order a SKU now that won’t be shipped for a trip until Fall 2019, and then they later discontinue the SKU before the ship date, that creates some additional logistical challenges.
They should make the magicband customization done at the 60 day mark. That should help with the demands and allow people to order from the current stock.

They should make the magicband customization done at the 60 day mark. That should help with the demands and allow people to order from the current stock.
We decided to do this with our kids as May 24th was our 60 day mark. We tried to make a special event out of it by doing our FastPasses and making our band selections together only to find out they were sold out. I guess we will have to pounce on the next round.

dodgr98

In the Parks
No
Saw them, didn’t care for most, except the Stitch ones. Looks like they're offering MB’s that haven’t sold well. I’d still take the free one as I can still decorate for less than their cost.
I couldn't decide between the two Stitch bands and by the time I did, they were both gone.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Saw them, didn’t care for most, except the Stitch ones. Looks like they're offering MB’s that haven’t sold well. I’d still take the free one as I can still decorate for less than their cost.

Is there a reason you're coloring your text? It's near impossible to read in dark mode...

ninjaprincesst

A large part of the problem is their decision to ship upgraded bands immediately, instead of closer to the trip date like with the complementary bands. In addition to creating a confusing experience for guests and incurring additional shipping charges for TWDC to pay for, it puts significant stress on the inventory they have in stock in the immediate term, hence bands being sold out so quickly.

A family going on a trip in October doesn’t need their bands shipped to them this week.

My thoughts exactly, when I got my confirmation for my upgrade it said they would not ship until right before my trip, and then I started seeing people saying theirs shipped right away, and sure enough ours have shipped so now I have six months to forget where I put them before our trip.

James J

In the Parks
No

Not entirely true, somebody mentioned earlier in this thread that the Pride one and the Dole whip one are very recent releases.

dreamfinder

Unless they switch all the non-plain bands to print on demand, it's going to be a problem. Offering the discount and then shipping them ASAP is the only way to manage stock. Otherwise they don't even have to cancel the SKU, just have a supply issue and it causes havoc. No vendor wants to have that much supply just sitting on the shelves waiting for a certain dates months from now to ship. Change em all to print on demand? No problems, just print and ship.

matt9112

Not entirely true, somebody mentioned earlier in this thread that the Pride one and the Dole whip one are very recent releases.

they would be smart to have a tiered system have some free...(solids) sime basic ones 9.99 like the pride one. and have the more character specific or artistic ones maybe 14.99 or 19.99

AugieMorosco

I went on right after release and they had the full roster of 30+ magic bands available. Had I known they would be selling out, I would have given it more attention at the time and maybe tried to order them. We are going late July, so hopefully some restock happens before my deadline. My preferred magic band color would be the plain white, but since this is ridiculously not one of the plain color options, I might take the upgrade.

TOCPE82

I noticed the site doesn't list the date you have to order by to have the bands shipped, only the date to order to pickup at the hotel. Not sure why they removed this. Guessing they want people to pick their bands right after booking and be done with it?

Surprised they couldn't manage inventory. Poor showing for people waiting for family members to get a chance to make a choice. Like others we see most of our choices gone because we didn't select that first day.

Yup, we waited for a family member to get home from work to place our order and by that time everything we wanted was sold out.

That is just poor planning.

mmssbrg2

Yup, we waited for a family member to get home from work to place our order and by that time everything we wanted was sold out.

That is just **** poor planning.
This whole thing has been bungled from the start. They created a lot of unnecessary frustration that could have been avoided with proper planning. Had they just limited customization to the 60-day FastPass window, it would have staggered the demand to the point that both their servers as well as their supply chain could have handled it. The fact that they didn't have the foresight to see that allowing everyone with an active reservation to upgrade at launch would create the demand it did is a major failure on Disney's part and left them with nothing but a small handful of satisfied guests and a whole lot of frustrated and angry guests. This is something that would have easily been a win for Disney and a win for guests, but instead, it's become a loss for both.

We have a trip in mid-July that we were hoping to upgrade for. Since we only have 11 days left to customize, it's looking more and more like we'll get stuck with the solid colors. At least we haven't customized our AP magic bands yet, so we'll hold off on those until appealing upgrade options become available, provided our APs don't expire before that time. I'm not holding my breath.

TOCPE82

This whole thing has been bungled from the start. They created a lot of unnecessary frustration that could have been avoided with proper planning. Had they just limited customization to the 60-day FastPass window, it would have staggered the demand to the point that both their servers as well as their supply chain could have handled it. The fact that they didn't have the foresight to see that allowing everyone with an active reservation to upgrade at launch would create the demand it did is a major failure on Disney's part and left them with nothing but a small handful of satisfied guests and a whole lot of frustrated and angry guests. This is something that would have easily been a win for Disney and a win for guests, but instead, it's become a loss for both.

We have a trip in mid-July that we were hoping to upgrade for. Since we only have 11 days left to customize, it's looking more and more like we'll get stuck with the solid colors. At least we haven't customized our AP magic bands yet, so we'll hold off on those until appealing upgrade options become available, provided our APs don't expire before that time. I'm not holding my breath.
On the phone when I called a week ago, she said to check back in 3-4 weeks...

It's just insane that a giant corporation like Disney didn't see this coming? Stagger the rollout. Make it, like you said, only for FP window or only for reservations during a certain period. Honestly, I expected fewer choices, and that is what I expect going forward, sadly. Now my (insanely parks saavy) 5 year old makes me check daily to see if they band she wants is available, and is inevitably sad when it isn't yet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom