News Disney to launch new Vacation Planning site to help guests with date-based tickets

disneyflush

I think you might be a very small population sky. I think (have no proof) that most of the wdw visitors don't make changes to their vacations once they book their room. If you fly it's even more locked.

The poster is saying he doesn't want to book rooms that far in advance because his plans change frequently and he doesn't want to have to book until he is sure he will be available.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
!st, there are many people who visit the shore in the winter. so no not everyone is flocking to WDW. you know that though,
Second, did I say you couldn't find a cheaper motel. 3rd the jersey shore is a huge place. Yes I'm sure in some places like Atlantic city and wildwood there are cheap motels. If you would read instead of speaking you would learn something.

Lastly, yes I am full of it. I'm a Diva. deal with it.

buh bye.

Yikes. Thanks for proving my point by the way, your lack of knowledge about the Jersey shore rivals your ignorance regarding WDW. Delightful.

nickys

Premium Member
I certainly hope you are correct Lensman, but I took that as being folks purchasing a package. I hope it holds true for DVC as well. Also I do not like being forced to buy anything a certain way. If I buy tickets where ever and link to a resort stay... said tickets should be for my length of stay as I will be spending money in the parks on those park days.

I suspect they haven’t yet got everything ironed out.

Package stays were the obvious main “exception” they needed to sort out. Hence the announcement that the tickets would be valid for the length of the package if longer than the quoted validation period.

Other scenarios would include DVC stays, cruise land and sea stays (after all, a cruise is a package, just it’s on a ship), split stays. It might be though that for all these, they’ll just say you have to pay the “flexible premium” to validate the tickets for 14 days.

Why not phone Member Services and ask them? They may well have the answer. Or if they don’t, they’l have another reason to find out.

Lensman

Does anyone know if the daily prices vary by park? For example, if you get a 7/8 day base ticket, do you have to pre-select which park you’ll be going to?
I’m so glad we use a travel agent. This is too much even for me.
I read on a blog that they will be doing away with park specific pricing once this new pricing comes through. I think it was Disney Tourist blog.
I had the same question until I read "the next thread down":
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...rice-all-four-parks-at-the-same-level.949356/

nickys

Premium Member
I think you might be a very small population sky. I think (have no proof) that most of the wdw visitors don't make changes to their vacations once they book their room. If you fly it's even more locked.

Probably true. But people do have to cancel trips, and because it’s Disney they know they don’t have to worry. Disney will honour their tickets and let them rebook. And I know that some airlines let you rebook flights at no cost.

Rich Brownn

Lol, you're being obtuse. it's not the specific capacity, its the methodology, most "venues/transportation " charge a premium on different days. Baseball standiums charge more when you play better teams, Amtrak charges you more to travel on Saturday, cruise lines do it all the time.
Its the multiple pricing I think that throws people. The pricing changes not only by day of purchase but also by number of days. It's more like its cheaper to fly on Wednesday, and even cheaper to book round trip based on per mile, and even cheaper if you book round trip on Wednesday only. Since Disney shows the prices on a per-day basis before total, your price can vary by season (3 I believe) and different prices for 1 to 7 days. That means that ticket based on a per day basis can have 21 different per-day pricing!

Lensman

Its the multiple pricing I think that throws people. The pricing changes not only by day of purchase but also by number of days. It's more like its cheaper to fly on Wednesday, and even cheaper to book round trip based on per mile, and even cheaper if you book round trip on Wednesday only. Since Disney shows the prices on a per-day basis before total, your price can vary by season (3 I believe) and different prices for 1 to 7 days. That means that ticket based on a per day basis can have 21 different per-day pricing!
Maybe the complication is designed to push people towards buying packages? If that case you'd pick the number of days you want to stay and the number of days you want park tickets and then be presented with a calendar of choices for check-in dates and prices. Even external vendors could arrange that.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
If you need a dedicated "vacation planning" site for your resort... You might've gone a bit too far.

That line was crossed decades ago with WDW advice sites, blogs, vlogs, and travel agents. Disney's being the good guy here and providing the service that third parties have been providing for a long time.

They’ve totally shafted (politest wording I could think of ;)) those who want to visit the parks before and after a cruise.

Say you book a 5 or 7 day cruise and want to add a night before at POP and a couple of nights after at POFQ. The tickets won’t be valid for the whole time, so you don’t get the benefit of the longer ticket; instead you’ll have to buy a 1 day ticket and a separate 2-3 day ticket.

I agree! and this is really upsetting me and making me rethink our plans for august 19.. this august, we did a package one week before a 4 night Dream cruise. when we got off, we added a one night onsite and used 2 more park days from our package dates. this new system would limit us for before and post cruise.. Especially since we just booked the 7 night Fantasy for aug19..

so what does this leave us... not doing parks when we get off?? which means why stay on-site.. so maybe we take our money elsewhere and stay at a cheaper offsite for that night before we fly back. I had considered paying an arm and leg for the Beach club for that post cruise night.. though of saving 2 epcot days for that.. Well if epcot falls of the plan, so does beach club. And I refuse to pay for a family of 4 those additional days.. that is a big chunk of a new cruise. t

There was really value in booking more park days and spreading those out once you hit 7 days adding an 8 or 9th days was relative..

Many families do more than WDW when in Orlando. i think now many will simply say.. ok WDW 5 days and that is it... and move on to Universal and others. why go back when park days you had in the past were expired.

between this, parking fees and other add-ons ( early morning, eveing parties lowering avail of park hours for standard tix and value) we ( yearly WDW guests average 12 days stay) are now shifting our WDW funds partially elsewhere.

nickys

Premium Member
I agree! and this is really upsetting me and making me rethink our plans for august 19.. this august, we did a package one week before a 4 night Dream cruise. when we got off, we added a one night onsite and used 2 more park days from our package dates. this new system would limit us for before and post cruise.. Especially since we just booked the 7 night Fantasy for aug19..

so what does this leave us... not doing parks when we get off?? which means why stay on-site.. so maybe we take our money elsewhere and stay at a cheaper offsite for that night before we fly back. I had considered paying an arm and leg for the Beach club for that post cruise night.. though of saving 2 epcot days for that.. Well if epcot falls of the plan, so does beach club. And I refuse to pay for a family of 4 those additional days.. that is a big chunk of a new cruise. t

There was really value in booking more park days and spreading those out once you hit 7 days adding an 8 or 9th days was relative..

Many families do more than WDW when in Orlando. i think now many will simply say.. ok WDW 5 days and that is it... and move on to Universal and others. why go back when park days you had in the past were expired.

between this, parking fees and other add-ons ( early morning, eveing parties lowering avail of park hours for standard tix and value) we ( yearly WDW guests average 12 days stay) are now shifting our WDW funds partially elsewhere.

You would have the option of paying the “flexible premium”, which I think extends the validity of the tickets to 14 days.

wendysue

Frequently Asked Questions
  • When will date-based tickets expire?
1-Day base tickets are valid for admission on the specific start date selected. Multi-day tickets are valid for admission beginning on the start date selected and must be used within a limited time period.
Ticket Duration
Valid Use Period
1-Day Ticket

Only the start date selected
2-Day Ticket
Any 2 days within 4 days beginning on the start date
3-Day Ticket
Any 3 days within 5 days beginning on the start date
4-Day Ticket
Any 4 days within 7 days beginning on the start date
5-Day Ticket
Any 5 days within 8 days beginning on the start date
6-Day Ticket
Any 6 days within 9 days beginning on the start date
7-Day Ticket
Any 7 days within 10 days beginning on the start date
8-Day Ticket
Any 8 days within 12 days beginning on the start date
9-Day Ticket
Any 9 days within 13 days beginning on the start date
10-Day Ticket
Any 10 days within 14 days beginning on the start date

For example, a 6-day base ticket with a start date of Nov. 1, ticket is valid any 6 days from Nov.1 – Nov. 9.
Add the Park Hopper Option to visit more than one Theme Park on the same day. For example, a 6-day ticket with the Park Hopper Option with a start date of Nov. 1, ticket is valid any 6 days from Nov. 1 – Nov. 9.
Add the Park Hopper Plus Option to include visits to the Disney Water Parks and other attractions—along with the ability to visit more than one Theme Park on the same day. This option also extends the period of time within which you may use your ticket by one day. For example, a 6-day ticket with the Park Hopper Plus Option with a start date of Nov. 1, ticket is valid any 6 days from Nov. 1 – Nov. 10.
  • When will tickets purchased as part of a Walt Disney Travel Company package expire?
Date-based tickets purchased as part of a Walt Disney Travel Company room and ticket package will have one of the following valid use periods (whichever is longer): (i) the same valid use period described above, OR (ii) a valid use period beginning on the package resort arrival date and ending on the package resort check-out date. See above for the explanation of valid use period and how valid use period is not the same as ticket duration.

For example, a Guest who purchases a Walt Disney Travel Company package with a 3-Day base ticket and a resort length of stay of 6 nights with an arrival date of Nov. 1; ticket is valid any 3 days from Nov, 1 – Nov. 7.
  • Why did you shorten the valid use window for tickets?
The new valid use window for tickets better aligns with observed Guest ticket usage patterns. Guests wanting additional flexibility can purchase a Flexible Date Ticket.
  • Will I need to pay more for my ticket if I already purchased it prior to Oct. 16?
No. Please be sure to check the specific terms and conditions on your ticket to confirm the expiration policy.
  • Are tickets able to be modified – what happens if a guest needs to change their date?
Yes, you will be able to modify tickets for your Clients prior to the ticket start date. And, for the first time, your Clients will be able to modify their own tickets online or through the Disney Reservation Center prior to the ticket start date. If the ticket is changed to a higher priced date, guest will be responsible for paying the difference in price. There will be no refunds to changes to lower priced dates. If modifications are needed after the ticket start date, guests must visit any Vacation Planning window.

Wow. So....say I bought a 3 day park ticket and I know I'm only going Tues. Wed. and Thurs. Normally, those would likely be value days at the time I would go, but now that they have put the "Any 3 days within 5 days after the start date" window in there so the price of those tickets will be figured using those other 2 days that I'm NOT going. So you will never ACTUALLY get any value priced tickets. (unless you get just a two day ticket and use it on a value weekday)

The explanation of ticket prices states, "If a higher-priced day falls within the valid period of your ticket, it will raise the per-day average, and thus will raise the final price by some amount even if you don't plan to go to the on that specific day" Pretty sneaky Disney!

Nick Pappagiorgio

It seems to be pretty simple if you are walking up to buy a ticket. Digital signage changes to reflect the current daily price as the video indicates multi-day will be based off of first day, CM sees current price on their computer screen. The CM just needs to ask how days, and explain that a ticket with X admissions is good for Y days. It just gets confusing if you are trying to plan in advance. And odds are, with the advent of ADRs and FP+, most people planning in advance aren't buying their tickets day of at the window.

I think your pre-planning angle for people like us is true. But I think you overestimate how much people who preplan know about Disney. I ran into a guy a couple weeks ago who was 3 weeks out from a CBR trip and didn't know he could prebook fastpasses. I see tons of people who will buy the wrong cheap tickets online and these CMs will bear the brunt of their confusion and anger.

Patcheslee

I think your pre-planning angle for people like us is true. But I think you overestimate how much people who preplan know about Disney. I ran into a guy a couple weeks ago who was 3 weeks out from a CBR trip and didn't know he could prebook fastpasses. I see tons of people who will buy the wrong cheap tickets online and these CMs will bear the brunt of their confusion and anger.
I just had a coworker who is going around next month and didn't know about the 60 day window because his other half has gone "multiple times and is doing the planning". who thought was 45 days 😞 luckily he found out before 60 day mark.

LSLS

Wow. So....say I bought a 3 day park ticket and I know I'm only going Tues. Wed. and Thurs. Normally, those would likely be value days at the time I would go, but now that they have put the "Any 3 days within 5 days after the start date" window in there so the price of those tickets will be figured using those other 2 days that I'm NOT going. So you will never ACTUALLY get any value priced tickets. (unless you get just a two day ticket and use it on a value weekday)

The explanation of ticket prices states, "If a higher-priced day falls within the valid period of your ticket, it will raise the per-day average, and thus will raise the final price by some amount even if you don't plan to go to the on that specific day" Pretty sneaky Disney!

Where does it state that?

Cetta

my concern is...what if I buy a 3 day park hopper with a package now for January trip and we decide to go to the parks a 4th day, will we still be able to add that day discounted or would we have to buy a single ticket day? This planning process has been stressing me out!

note2001

my concern is...what if I buy a 3 day park hopper with a package now for January trip and we decide to go to the parks a 4th day, will we still be able to add that day discounted or would we have to buy a single ticket day? This planning process has been stressing me out!
Good question, and to complicate that...
I have old non-expiring 5 day park hoppers I want to add 2 or 3 days to. While I understand that the value of those was locked at some point, what happens to the cost of adding days, if we are allowed to.

nickys

Premium Member
Good question, and to complicate that...
I have old non-expiring 5 day park hoppers I want to add 2 or 3 days to. While I understand that the value of those was locked at some point, what happens to the cost of adding days, if we are allowed to.

I’m don’t think you can add days to non-expiring tickets. Even under the current system, I think you’d have to buy separate tickets for those extra days. Paging @Rob562to confirm that for you. :)

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Ok so I did not read 10 pages....wow this seems odd to me. Anyhow, I already bought 8 day tickets last winter for an early 2019 trip.
I added another day to make it the 8 and as you know that was very, very small addition as it has been for additional days. SO I am going to be there 8 days and yes I will use my 8 days of tickets in 8 days! Even though 2 are partial days, first and last, it wasn't a big deal to buy 2 more days when one gets 8.

First question is, and I assume it is so, any tickets bought prior to this transition remain AS IS?

Second question, do you think in the future if I were to buy additional days closer to trip would it be more expensive than previously because I did not plan that initially? It is what it is....but not sure its clear what it is! :angelic:

I have always bought my tickets first....as they don't expire for that year beyond....great flexibility. I have paid for those sometimes months prior to anything else and when I can get around to figuring out good airfare and peoples schedules then I book trip. Then I deal with the 180, 60 day marks down the road. So NOW I will have to figure out tickets, resort, and airplane tickets at once? I assume you will be able to modify ticket days on your MDE should your flight plans change.....

My thoughts are they are in part trying to force people who stress out over planning in such detail and want it easy, to sell more PACKAGES!!!! Versus fairies such as myself who have for decades navigated successfully with ala carte purchasing.

I also suspect recent emails I have been getting from my Personal Vacation Advisor....who used to be guest services....are now people to help people deal with the complicated thing this has become! Guest Services is still there, she had to refer me to them, but seems a divergence of job roles.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom