Disney to increase the number of FastPass+ entitlements per day and include park hopping

PrincessNelly_NJ

Honestly not having purple was one of the disappointing things about magic bands LOL. I love purple EVERYTHING!
But I'm certain with all the request for purple and if off-site guest really start buying magic bands that you can be certain disney will see $$$ and began making them.

MrPromey

The problem I have is that as a local the wait times on most of the attractions has actually increased. We used to be able to ride HM every time we visited MK but now it's consistently a 40 min wait. I saw another website who actually looked at all the data and wait times from last year without my magic+ and the same time this year with it and it showed the majority of attractions had increased while a lot of the etickets had dropped in wait a little. So an example was HM going from like 20 to 40 min average and Space going from a 70 to 50 min average.

You see that as a problem but Disney probably sees it as a good thing - averaging out the wait times and getting more people to do more of the "classic" attractions instead of all just bunching up at the big, popular E-tickets, was, I'm sure, part of their goal.

I thought it was odd, first that they added the interactive extended queue to the haunted mansion, then that they made it optional. Why did the mansion need this? Were they planning for this?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The problem I have is that as a local the wait times on most of the attractions has actually increased. We used to be able to ride HM every time we visited MK but now it's consistently a 40 min wait. I saw another website who actually looked at all the data and wait times from last year without my magic+ and the same time this year with it and it showed the majority of attractions had increased while a lot of the etickets had dropped in wait a little. So an example was HM going from like 20 to 40 min average and Space going from a 70 to 50 min average. So we'll see how things change but cast members still aren't on the system yet. What's that? Like another 50,000 locals who will have early access to FP+ as well? Hmmm...
Touring Plans released research and showed that it is not having much of an effect at all.

http://blog.touringplans.com/2014/02/19/fastpass-affecting-your-wait-in-line-disney-world/

wedenterprises

Good news. I'm wondering then if it's better to book 3 FPs early in the day, and play with fire with whatever FPs are available after that, or book 3 FPs later in the day and have peace of mind that you are guaranteed your favourite ride?

I suppose if you can park hop then you're better to book 3 morning FPs in one park and hop over with whatever you can get in your second park...?

It's like a board game, strategy is evolving...

kma71677

This is good news. Hope the changes roll out soon.

I assume the kiosk thing is temporary. It makes no sense for that to be permanent.

I'm sure it is. Disney will be trying to whittle down the kiosk locations and CM manning levels ASAP. There will always be FP+ kiosks now, but in a year there will probably be 2-3 locations with 1-2 CM's pacing around. Just gotta give it some time and ensure all the kinks are out of the system.

Main Street USA

You must have gotten lucky! I tried to do that and it won't let me!

Yeah, I was making those selections wondering where the tiers were, because I remember them being there when I made choices the first time around. I should go back and change one and see if they're still available that way.

Cubfan300

I sincerely believe that at some point before summer, park hopping will be added to FP+. I think that as part of the park hopper package, you will get no more than 2 per park, but I do think that it is coming. This is still all a beta test (albeit when everyone going into the system is involved, its hardly beta anymore), but adjustments such as allowing off site guests to use MM+ are likely all part of the test plan.

Well, looks like I called it! The quoted text is from Feb 15th. They called it testing all along, you know.

lobelia

I think the rationale to let people add FP+ is more than just hearing that people wanted to have access to more FP+. If that works, then let's call and say we want more seating in the shade or Snitches Escape needs to be replaced. They haven't listened to that. Perhaps what they heard from guests was that they would use their 3 FP+ and then leave the park without spending money on the afternoon ice cream treat, dinner, rain ponchos, face paiting, etc. Maybe just the wrong side of the bed this morning.

CJR

This is great news and I hope they can get it out soon. They do need to make sure they control how much Fast Passes they give out, especially with shows. While it's great to use a Fast Pass, I would rather be told "no" than ruin people's day who spent 30 minutes of their time in line to see a show and get told "it's full".

If they do this right, it can be a great thing.

surfsupdon

This is great to see. I am very happy.

Being my biggest complaint was "only" 3 FastPasses, I am now pleased that the system is evolving to include more options.

danv3

How much will extra FP+ and park hopping cost? Blog post definitely does not say these will be free, and P&R has a lot of revenue to generate.

Virtual Toad

Ehhh... I think this will placate some guests but it all depends how it's implemented. I have no problem with folks booking additional FPs /park hopping and choosing what's left *after* they've used their first three. Except that it may limit everyone's ability to change times or experiences "on the fly." Again, it depends how they plan to hold and allocate different blocks of FP slots and times.

Some super-users will want to shift back to a "first thing in the morning" mentality and try to squeeze in as much as possible. But given the ever-expanding access to the program (day guests, etc), I have to wonder if there will be any decent same-day FPs left in the afternoons and evenings.

The challenge they have to figure out is how to ensure that a guest doesn't use Park Hopping to book Midway Mania, Soarin, and Expedition Everest on the same day.

While it's possible that they do something about this, my initial gut feeling is that TDO might let that one go. I feel like the number of people who park hop multiple times in a day is insignificant enough that they can ignore it. That being said, I typically only park hop once in a day, so maybe I'm underestimating the typical park-hopping guest.

Mawg

I'm getting to the point where I can say I like FastPass+ more than FastPass. I have not tried it yet, so can't comment with any certainty. But having more than 3 and park hopping just about does it. If they make one more change I will be sold.

They need to make it so I can book my 3 FastPass+'s in advance for evening hours and I can have one revolving that I can use any time of the day and always get one more once I use the revolving FastPass. If they made this change I would have nothing at all to complain about.

KatMaria

How much will extra FP+ and park hopping cost? Blog post definitely does not say these will be free, and P&R has a lot of revenue to generate.
It isn't going to cost extra. Believe me, they will make their money back in selling the MB. Especially if they come out with designs and such for the MB.

danv3

It will be at no cost.

Really??? That's shocking to me. (Good news, but surprising.)

I've never understood how this system would even remotely generate the kind of revenue that would justify its cost without charging for FP+ entitlements. I mean, sure, they can sell decorated bands, sliders, etc., but how many of them can they sell, especially with the way they send out bands to guests? We got two pairs for our April trip (first pair lost in mail), a pair for being APs, and we'll get another pair in October. That's on top of the glossy mailers, thumb drive, etc. And I know I won't spend a cent more than I otherwise would have.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom