News Disney to develop residential communities with new 'Storyliving by Disney' business

Lilofan

Simply not true.

It was touted as trying to reestablish and reimagine the local community concept... and many other things. It failed to achieve those things.

Again, not true. It began as a local community, and continues as a local community.

Also not true. It continues to be pedestrian-oriented.

An incorrect statement. I own a home, and responsible for the entirety of it, including the land, and must follow the design covenants that were created by Disney.

The downtown condos, which struggle with exterior maintenance issues, cannot be repaired by the owner, as the exterior is not “owned” by the owner. There have recently been legal challenges by the residents in regards to this, in conjunction with the exterior issues not being mitigated.
Thank you for the info. Celebration is a beautiful community but several years ago the criminals were getting savvy breaking into homes. They would ring the doorbell and if the homeowner answered they would pretend to be lost then leave. They would try another home and if no one answered they would break a window in the back of the home to gain access.

Polkadotdress

Thank you for the info. Celebration is a beautiful community but several years ago the criminals were getting savvy breaking into homes. They would ring the doorbell and if the homeowner answered they would pretend to be lost then leave. They would try another home and if no one answered they would break a window in the back of the home to gain access.
Also, not true.

There was one house that was broken in this way. Generally, most theft in town occurs from the garage or front porch. I can’t tell you how many bicycles, rocking chairs, holiday decor, and packages that have been stolen from our iconic front porches.

lazyboy97o

Celebration condos is far from rot. If you want rot which resulted in 97 condo owners dying while they slept look what happened in Surfside, FL when one part of the condo building collapsed one evening.
While Champlain Towers South had deficiencies from the start, they were exacerbated by insufficient maintenance. Repairs were delayed because owners didn’t want to pay the costs, the exact same problem described and one that’s costs across the country.

That’s not something unique to Celebration.

Lilofan

Also, not true.

There was one house that was broken in this way. Generally, most theft in town occurs from the garage or front porch. I can’t tell you how many bicycles, rocking chairs, holiday decor, and packages that have been stolen from our iconic front porches.
Not true. There was a report on local news when we were there visiting WDW. Porch pirates occur in a number of places including where I live. Cars drive slowly around looking for packages to steal. Kissimmee is not exactly a safe place to live and Celebration is at its doorstep.

Polkadotdress

Not true. There was a report on local news when we were there visiting WDW. Porch pirates occur in a number of places including where I live. Cars drive slowly around looking for packages to steal. Kissimmee is not exactly a safe place to live and Celebration is at its doorstep.
I can’t even…

I’ve been living there since 1996. But sure, whatever YOU say is true.

Hitchens

Disney reminds me of a certain NY real estate developer with a dodgy reputation who also sold his name, sometimes to development efforts that failed. This seems like Chapek going for easy/lazy money. Walt Disney seemed to create the Tiki Room (over 55 years ago), and Pixar added rain to a chase scene in Ratatouille partly BECAUSE it was challenging.

Chapek seems to me the opposite of JFK in his excellent speech on why we America should go to the moon: "We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills..."

castlecake2.0

Can we talk about more exciting things instead of complaining about something not even built yet?

Do we think the hotel mentioned in the video will be a Disney hotel?

Is there going to be a “Disney clubhouse” for these events they discuss?

It mentions Disney Cast Members working in the community, what areas do you think this will be in?

maxairmike

I enjoy Celebration, but outside of the main downtown area, nothing about Celebration is particularly pedestrian-oriented at this point. Yes, there are the nature walks that connect every neighborhood, but I'm going to guess folks that live in Artisan Park or even North Village aren't walking to the town center for dinner or Publix for groceries. The Island Village expansion has nothing within what most would consider a "walkable" distance and is entirely car dependent. Celebration is a poster child for a car-dependent suburb masquerading as a pedestrian-oriented New Urbanism paradise complete with the oversized golf-carts because no one wants to actually walk.

ETA: Cotino is absolutely yet another suburban sprawl development. Looking at the lot where this will go will tell you that it will be walkable in the same way that Celebration is: Some nice dining options and a small shop or two in the town center area (which in early drawings looks to be in the northeast corner) which will be considered walkable for about 1/3 of the development, thanks in no small part to the manmade lagoon and the weather in the summer. To actually have access to anything else you have to have a car or rely on someone else's car/delivery service.

Last edited:

fgmnt

I enjoy Celebration, but outside of the main downtown area, nothing about Celebration is particularly pedestrian-oriented at this point. Yes, there are the nature walks that connect every neighborhood, but I'm going to guess folks that live in Artisan Park or even North Village aren't walking to the town center for dinner or Publix for groceries. The Island Village expansion has nothing within what most would consider a "walkable" distance and is entirely car dependent. Celebration is a poster child for a car-dependent suburb masquerading as a pedestrian-oriented New Urbanism paradise complete with the oversized golf-carts because no one wants to actually walk.
And just like everywhere else in Central Florida, you are only on a bike if you want to be murdered.

lazyboy97o

Do you think most of the people working in the retail and restaurants of the Town Center walk to work? Can they even afford to live in Celebration? Do you think most of the people living in the houses walk to work? Do you walk to buy your groceries? Do you think many walk all the way out to Celebration High School?

The live/work and pedestrian aspect of New Urbanism doesn’t mean there are people who live there and people who work there, it’s supposed to mean that the people who live there also work there and primarily get around by walking. There isn’t supposed to be just one isolated pocket of density with commercial activity, there is supposed to be a pattern with commercial activity dispersed throughout as development expands.

TP2000

Golden Oak homes at WDW $4M -$20M is for some owners who buy as their second, third or fourth home.

Most of these homes will be as second homes, but much cheaper than Golden Oak and thus for the Top 5% instead of the Top 1%. They're even throwing in some condos and townhouses into the mix, so those might be occupied as retirement homes for the Top 10%, or as primary residences for middle-class folks living/working in the Coachella Valley.

Rancho Mirage is nice, but that end of the valley past Palm Springs is full of these giant master-planned housing communities for snowbirds and retirees. The most surprising thing about this is that they found a big enough piece of land for it.

I'm headed out to Rancho Mirage for Easter vacation this year, and I will scope out where on the valley floor this is exactly. I can't imagine there are many people who want this whole "storytime" angle in their housing however. That part is just cringey and dumb.

TP2000

"We're going to build a giant manmade puddle of water in the middle of the drought stricken western US!"

To be fair to Disney, the entire Coachella Valley from Palm Springs to Rancho Mirage to La Quinta is nothing but these types of sprawling master planned HOA communities full of manmade lakes and lush green landscaping and endless golf courses in the middle of a scorching dessert.

The water comes in via the California aquaduct and the Colorado River from the mountains to the north and east. It's been like this for 75 years now.

The Coachella Valley where this Disney community will be built goes on like this for 20 miles, where there should only be sand and tumbleweeds and a dying cactus or two. Thanks for the water, Rocky Mountains!

aerial-view-of-palm-springs-picture-id925600226

beautiful-landscape-feel-of-a-retirement-community-picture-id184877529

bfa983d410a1cf7a487dfe2cc33ba183l-m118030896od-w480_h360_x2.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom