Disney to charge for Fastpass

aaron2525

selling fast passes would be the greatest idea ever. families wouldnt have to get up early and fight the riff raff in the parks. im thinking about a hundred dollars a piece for a 4 day fast pass. great idea i hope this rumor comes true. :sohappy::sohappy:

jonnyc

It is impossible for everyone to use Fastpass currently, Look at TSMM. That attractions allocation of FPs is gone within an hour of the park opening.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
It is impossible for everyone to use Fastpass currently, Look at TSMM. That attractions allocation of FPs is gone within an hour of the park opening.
A popular new ride is always going to be an exception, but anyone who arrives in time can use it.

When people say everyone can use FPs it's more that there are no exclusions regarding who has access to them, not that there is an unlimited supply. You don't have to be staying on-site, you don't have to be in a deluxe resort, you don't have to be an AP holder or DVC and most significantly, you don't have to pay extra. You do have to get there in time. :shrug:

RogueHabit

When I was working there a few years back now, there was always the idea of offering a paid Fastpass, which would allow guest to pretty much book ride times, so you could plan your entire day pretty much. This would be in addition to the normal fastpass system. Maybe this is finally coming true.
Isn't that how it started at Universal. Now you can only get passes there if you pay for them. That's the classic two tier system that WDW needs to avoid.

I've no problem with Disney adding a pay option; if you're rich enough, or stupid enough, to pay it then fine. But I will be VERY disappointed if they remove the current system....

RogueHabit

selling fast passes would be the greatest idea ever. families wouldnt have to get up early and fight the riff raff in the parks. im thinking about a hundred dollars a piece for a 4 day fast pass. great idea i hope this rumor comes true. :sohappy::sohappy:
See my previous post; which does that make you?:ROFLOL:

Brian Noble

for years by persons with dozens of unused tickets
Maybe once upon a time. (There was even a period where Knott's Berry Farms APs would work in the Disneyland FP machines.) However, as I understand it, the FP kiosks are now tied in to the turnstile data. If the ticket wasn't used for entry that day, it's no good for FP.

There are exceptions, but not many.

Timmay

The day everyone starts using FP effectively is the day it stops producing benefits to those who know how to use it.
Then we can all rest assured everything will be okay...because that day will never come. It is impossible.

I work for a very large company and I'm known as the "Disney-guy". So a lot of people come to me before a WDW trip for advice. I've also spoken to a lot of people who went to WDW without a lot of planning.
Yep, that is a shame...but it is their own fault.

And I've heard a lot of nightmare stories.
That is to be expected from people that don't plan something out.

The majority of people who go to Disney have not done enough planning.

A lot of them don't know what FP is or how it works. A lot of people don't use it because they don't realize it is free. I can't tell you how many people have complained to me about Disney letting people "cut in line".

I've found that the "Disney-faithful" tend not to have a lot of sympathy for these casual tourist. But you have to try to put yourself in the mindset of someone who's never experienced Orlando before. They've been to amusement parks. They didn't need to research them. They have no idea that WDW is different from any of the theme parks they've visited in the past.
I think you are right that some of us do not having "sympathy" for people that don't do some research before or even during their trip to WDW. Why should I? I will explain below.

People on the Disney forums would probably be amazed if they knew what a nightmare experience WDW can be for many casual tourists. I've talked to people who are still angry about their negative experiences years later.
But it is like that for many, many different vacation destinations...it is not just WDW. People have to put a little effort into something to get a return. If a person can not put an hour into doing a small anount of research before any vacation, than I simply can not feel sorry for them if thay had a bad time because of their not caring before the trip.

It is just like life...if you want to have success, put just a little bit of effort into it. People buy cars, televisions, homes and whatever else without even putting one second of research or thought into it. Sometimes they get lucky, but most of the times things end poorly. Why would going on vacation be any different.

FP is part of that process. The is plenty of information out there on how FP works and it is not difficult to find or understand.

lebeau

But it is like that for many, many different vacation destinations...it is not just WDW. People have to put a little effort into something to get a return. If a person can not put an hour into doing a small anount of research before any vacation, than I simply can not feel sorry for them if thay had a bad time because of their not caring before the trip.

It is just like life...if you want to have success, put just a little bit of effort into it. People buy cars, televisions, homes and whatever else without even putting one second of research or thought into it. Sometimes they get lucky, but most of the times things end poorly. Why would going on vacation be any different.

FP is part of that process. The is plenty of information out there on how FP works and it is not difficult to find or understand.

Here's the thing. If you have never been to WDW before, an hour of research isn't going to cut it. Look at the size of the Unofficial Guide! It's going to take several hours of research just to understand the basics. Many vacation destinations require research. But most people assume WDW isn't one of them. When in reality, it requires more research and planning than most big cities.

If you're lucky, you'll come across someone who can simplify things for you pretty quickly. I can give a newby everything they need to know in a few minutes. They won't be experts, but they'll know enough to get by.

Most people who go to Disney, don't realize they need to plan in advance. (Much less make their dinner plans 6 months out.) It's not their fault the don't know this. Disney sure isn't about to tell them.

For whatever reason, the average person thinks they can just show up at the airport and Disney magic will take care of the rest. These people are in for a lot of unpleasant (and costly) surprises.

It's not Disney's fault that these people were unprepared. But it's also not surprising that a Disney newby didn't understand the inordinate amount of planning that is required for a trouble-free WDW vacation.

FP is just one more thing to overwhelm these people.

Timmay

Here's the thing. If you have never been to WDW before, an hour of research isn't going to cut it. Look at the size of the Unofficial Guide! It's going to take several hours of research just to understand the basics..
No...it won't. I know several people that have put about that much time (I didn't just pick that number out of thin air) into researching their trip and came away very pleased.

When in reality, it requires more research and planning than most big cities..
I disagree. WDW far easier on a "first timer" than LA, NY, DC or even Las vegas.

Most people who go to Disney, don't realize they need to plan in advance..
This is the second time you have said this. Please cite a source.

It's not their fault they don't know this.
Yes...it is.

For whatever reason, the average person thinks they can just show up at the airport and Disney magic will take care of the rest. These people are in for a lot of unpleasant (and costly) surprises.
But it's also not surprising that a Disney newby didn't understand the inordinate amount of planning that is required for a trouble-free WDW vacation.
FP is just one more thing to overwhelm these people.
You make it sound like a mans first trip to the moon. It's not. WDW is pretty easy to understand...it just takes a little effort. Will people be "experts" with that little effort...of course not. But they will be far, far better off than the people that choose to go to WDW willingly unprepared.

lebeau

No...it won't. I know several people that have put about that much time (I didn't just pick that number out of thin air) into researching their trip and came away very pleased.

An hour isn't even enough time to read the Official Guide. And if that's all you do, you'll be woefully under-prepared.

If someone is helping a first-timer, an hour is plenty of time. But a first-timer will spend a lot of time just figuring out that Walt disney World and the Magic Kingdom aren't the same thing.

I disagree. WDW far easier on a "first timer" than LA, NY, DC or even Las vegas.

I disagree with your disagreement!

WDW is easier in the sense that it is safer. Disney will be more than happy to take you from the airport to your room and drive you all around their property until it's time to go home. You really can't get into too much trouble on Disney property. It's relatively safe.

But if you haven't done your research, you'll wait in ridiculously long lines. You may not be able to get tables at any of the restaurants. You're sure to miss a lot of things.

I know dozens of people who paid what they consider to be top-dollar for a very frustrating vacation.

This is the second time you have said this. Please cite a source.

Obviously my source is nothing more than personal experience - same as yours.

I've spoken to a lot of first timers. The ones I got to before their trips really enjoyed themselves. The ones I got to after their trips almost always had something that really made them angry. Usually, it's something that could have easily been avoided. Often, it's related to Fast Pass.

Yes...it is.

No, it's not. Wow, it's fun making statements with no attempt at supporting them!

You make it sound like a mans first trip to the moon. It's not. WDW is pretty easy to understand...it just takes a little effort. Will people be "experts" with that little effort...of course not. But they will be far, far better off than the people that choose to go to WDW willingly unprepared.

As a seasoned Disney traveler, I still find things I need to research for every trip. And I also research things for other people's trips. Walt Disney World is far more complicated than you're making it out to be.

If a new-comer knows they should do a little leg-work first, they will be fine. I think anyone fortunate enough to discover WDWmagic before their trip will be taken care of. But that is not the majority of people.

(I'll have to pull out my Unofficial Guide when I get home. But I recall they had a passage about how most people touring Disney do not use a guidebook.)

I suppose we're just going to have to agree to disagree. But I have to wonder how many Disney novices you've actually spoken with...

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Obviously my source is nothing more than personal experience - same as yours.

in my post I pointed out that the Travel channel in the UK advised researching and planning any Florida trip, to help get value for money and maximise trip time. And given that "independent" travelling is on the rise in the UK Id say more people are researching and questioning what a travel agent does, as many havent a clue about the holidays they sell.

paul436

Disney marketing has sold people on the idea that FP makes lines shorter. But that simply isn't true.

The lines may not be shorter but it allows you to choose how you want to spend your time while you wait. You can spend the time on a line or doing other things while you wait for your FP time to come around. I feel that I get more done with FP than without.

lebeau

The lines may not be shorter but it allows you to choose how you want to spend your time while you wait. You can spend the time on a line or doing other things while you wait for your FP time to come around. I feel that I get more done with FP than without.

Well, sure. If you're the FP holder.

If you're not using FP (and a lot of people don't for reasons already discussed) the waits are quite a bit longer.

You are able to get more done because someone else is getting less done. (Yes, there are exceptions to that statement. But it is true more often than not.)

Look, I use FP. Even knowing other people have to wait in longer lines, I'm going to keep using it. Because if I don't, I'm going to be in the group that pays for FP rather than the group that benefits from it.

All I'm saying is that the benefits from FP don't come from thin air. And usually the people who pay the price of FP are people who just don't know any better.

MMFanCipher

This is exactly how I feel about it. The first time I ever heard about FP was
when my wife was planning our WDW trip in 2007. She found it in the
Unofficial Guide. We read it, understood it and used it. We think it is a
benefit.

socalkdg

I think (pure speculation) that if you factor in the inefficiencies that are inherent to FP (forgeries, expired passes, etc) you would be closer to zero benefit than you would to 100% benefit if everyone started using FP.

That is true. I attribute this to a fundamental lack of understanding how FP works. Most people believe FP is creating capacity which is not true.

I believe you overestimate the number of forgeries and expired passes that get through. Considering that there are over 10,000 FP's given out every day, how many forgeries do you really believe are in circulation. Additionally I know from experience they check the date and starting time on the tickets.

While additional capacity might not be created, it does redirect capacity, taking it away from bottlenecks and moving it to open capacity rides. FP Space then go on people mover(or see Honey I shrunk the audience at DL). FP splash or thunder and ride Pirates. FP anything then eat lunch or dinner.

Walt had a way of redistributing capacity by charging a different amount for each ride with ticket books. He also charged you more if you only wanted to ride D-E tickets. Want to ride a D-E ticket every hour, you are going to pay for that.

Before FP I'd spend a couple hours waiting for space, Indiana Jones, and I don't miss those days.

I could see them doing this, they could add it on to your park pass such as Park Hopper and Water park and fun option, they could add a $20.00 Fast Pass Option.

The problem I see if Disney did this would be similar to the Dining plan... since you're forced to make reservations 180 days in advance (otherwise go hungry), it might make the ride lines pile up with all FP-folks thereby making the "standby" lines shorter!

(Did that make any sense???) :hammer:

Judy

lebeau

I believe you overestimate the number of forgeries and expired passes that get through. Considering that there are over 10,000 FP's given out every day, how many forgeries do you really believe are in circulation. Additionally I know from experience they check the date and starting time on the tickets.

While additional capacity might not be created, it does redirect capacity, taking it away from bottlenecks and moving it to open capacity rides. FP Space then go on people mover(or see Honey I shrunk the audience at DL). FP splash or thunder and ride Pirates. FP anything then eat lunch or dinner.

Walt had a way of redistributing capacity by charging a different amount for each ride with ticket books. He also charged you more if you only wanted to ride D-E tickets. Want to ride a D-E ticket every hour, you are going to pay for that.

Before FP I'd spend a couple hours waiting for space, Indiana Jones, and I don't miss those days.

From your inclusion of Indiana Jones, I assume you're talking about Disneyland. Disneyland is a completely different experience from Disney World. Especially where FP is concerned.

I'm not actually counting on the forgeries, etc having much of an impact on FP one way or another. I just mentioned them because they do have an impact no matter how trivial.

It's funny that you mention Walt's method for redirecting traffic within the parks. It seems to me that is an excellent argument in favor of charging for FP.

loboftbl

I have a few opinions on this matter but to preface it I have been to Disney World before/after fastpass and Universal Orlando before/after Premium Express Pass(staying onsite).

Fastpass has only made the lines longer at Disney World, in my view. I did not notice much change at Universal but I used the Express pass given to resort guests. I am naturally a fan of the resort express pass as it gave me a 5 min wait for everything. People did start yelling as I passed them for the third time in 20 mins on Hulk(it had a posted wait of 75 mins).

There is no easy answer to Fast pass. People will complain if fastpass is removed completely. Others will be upset if Disney charges a price or makes it only available to certain resort guests. People already complain that it makes lines longer such as me!

The only fair move in my view would be to remove it completely. Everyone would have a fair shot at the lines and no "elite" status for resort guests. The other side would be that Disney would make money charging for it or including it as part of a package, selling more onsite hotel rooms.

In conclusion(LOL sorry long post), I think the vast majority of people want "fair" equal access but there are a large number of people who will pay for a "premium" access. What will Disney do in these difficult financial times? Deluxe hotel anyone?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom