Disney to buy back Disney Store chain

tgirl

I'll probably browse through this entire thread later but wow... I'm really excited on reading the news. :sohappy: I grew up in the 90s so as a I kid, I always loved going into the gallery section of the Disney Store and look at all the cell art. The giant theater screen would play classic Disney songs and I'd goggle over all the stuffed Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, (etc.) plushies in front of the theater. So, the day that I discovered the gallery was gone, it completely blew my mind. I kept walking over to the section where the gallery use to be. I just couldn't believe it.

Also, I miss the old version of the Disney Store catalogue. (Unfortunately, I just threw out my only copy of that old Disney catalogue...) Because everything in that mag. was just great. Disney figurines in little snow globes. Kids wearing Disney costumes. Disney pajamas. Now, I have to look at the Japanese "Disney Fan" magazine just to relieve how the Disney merchandise really screamed Disney and not capatilism.

Glad my town's store is on the A list and I'm not too surprised. >_> That Disney Store lived through both the golden and Eisner age so it's one of the older Disney stores. Plus, my town's the "shopping traffic crossroads" of the US so I don't think they want to lose that one any time soon.

47eggplants

I'm one of the CMs who are still in the old green and pink stores. I'm excited to see when and what they are going to do with the ones still in existance. We were scheduled for a remodel, and it was put off for a refresh where we got painted and got new carpet... but the people they hired to do it weren't that great... so we were scheduled for a re-refresh... and it was suddenly put on hold...

Then all of this information came out...

I love the animations and I hope that they are something that the keep/return to the stores.

Sooo exciting!

Disney05

I was in my local Disney Store today that's not closing. I asked if they had a lot of people asking if the store was closing. They said I was the first one to ask. kind of surprised.

Disnychk

Filled out my paperwork!

:sohappy: So, I filled out my paperwork on Tuesday. Had my photo taken too. My store is on "that list" The bigger one of the too that is but I am not counting on anything about that. We will have to wait and see. But I am keeping my fingers crossed. We are a pink and green store that has been needing to be remodeld for ever. We were suposted to be remodled by now. Now I just hope that my perdiem status wont affect anything. I went to that when I had a baby this fall and have not gone back. I just work there for the discount, I call it my extracurricular activity. I am really hoping more stuff will come out because we are going to WDW on mothers day on the 11th. Maybe the 10th if we get the discount back! I have been waiting for this for the entire time! Now I just need to get my castle pin!!!! Hopefully they will count those of us who have been at the stores the whole time years of service. Because I am on year 12!

weluvtink

I'm very excited. I've been there for six years and have been a lead for three. We all were hoping for this for a long time. I'm looking forward to finding out what benefits will come.:sohappy:
As for bringing the animation and collectables back-I'm not sure. I started in a high volume store and most of that just sat there. The stuff didn't sell until it went on sale. It was beautiful but I don't think a large part of the store should be dedicated to it. People still come in and ask for it claiming they bought the stuff all the time. If they did, they would know we haven't carried in five years.

PghCM

I don't believe that per diems will be kept. In my store per diems are not getting photo's taken. Per diems are a TCP thing, not disney. I am sure they can find people who are willing to be available the 3 day a week minimum without a problem.

dizpins14

Disney is putting up a front here. They are getting paper work and photos from all the stores, even ones that are closing. It's giving false hope to all the Cast Members.

lilo091701

Disney is putting up a front here. They are getting paper work and photos from all the stores, even ones that are closing. It's giving false hope to all the Cast Members.

BE POSITIVE!!!!!!! We do not know what is going to happen but stay positive!!!!!!! Thsi week as my DM put it "Put you seatbelts on and prepare for of hard and bummpy ride." Lot's of news coming over this week!!!!!!!!!!

Disneymom827

I am a PT CM in NC- if any othr CMs are on here- did a Disney rep come to your recent inventory? We ahve inventory tonight and we were told that a Disney rep would be there to make sure 'it goes smoothly', but when we askd another store near us, they didn't have a Disney rep there. We are REALLY scared that our store is shutting down!:shrug:

Merissa

I am a PT CM in NC- if any othr CMs are on here- did a Disney rep come to your recent inventory? We ahve inventory tonight and we were told that a Disney rep would be there to make sure 'it goes smoothly', but when we askd another store near us, they didn't have a Disney rep there. We are REALLY scared that our store is shutting down!:shrug:

We did our inventory on Sunday and did not have a rep come in to supervise - but it went smoothly (the company they hired was very efficient). I'm sorry I don't have more information that that.

Belle218

My store also had inventory on Sunday, no Disney rep was present. The company was great and we were out early!!

Just talked to my SM and we will be going back to all the old discounts, 20% and 35%. If you were with the stores before TCP you keep your seniority!!!!! I will be 15 years in August.

47eggplants

We did our inventory as well... we were in the middle of it and we got a call saying a rep was flying in to make sure it was going well... no one ended up showing up though.

Disneymom827

We finished inventory last night and the Disney guy basically walked around. After meeting him, I'd bet he was there to make sure that the inventory was done correctly. He wa svery nice, but had no information about store closings. Our RM is in California- hopefully getting information for us. My DM has a meeting with him today. Keep your fingers crossed that we stay open!!

jiminyfan

My store also had inventory on Sunday, no Disney rep was present. The company was great and we were out early!!

Just talked to my SM and we will be going back to all the old discounts, 20% and 35%. If you were with the stores before TCP you keep your seniority!!!!! I will be 15 years in August.

Did your SM say what the difference is between 20% and 35%? A castmember in the tours department of Disney had told me that, castmembers get the 35%, including the Disney Store castmembers. The stuff she told me sounds awesome. But my store managers still say they know nothing. And my ASM told the lead that you had to work for them for 3 years before you get the free passes, but that is total opposite of the tours department. If anybody has the true info yet, I would love to hear it.

Belle218

CMs that have under 3 years get 20% discount on merchandise, CMs with 3 or more years get 35%. Park entrance and comp passes have not been told to us yet. During our time with the WDC we were able to use our IDs to gain entrance to the parks, mangers and ASMs got silver passes that allow them and 3 others in free. There are blackout dates for these perks. We were also give 4 1 day hoppers in a calendar year. Two were given in July and 2 in December. They expired in 18 months. Casuals were not given the passes our entrance on IDs.

Other perks , back when, were 20% off meals in certain places, 30%-60% off rooms, and the ability to buy up to 20 passes a year at a cast discounts. The passes were ordered through EARS, the computer at work. We have no idea what will be given back to us at this time. It is all a wait and see game.

geauxdaddy71

Disneymom, there were rumors flying around today about what NC stores are closing. My wife is a CM in NC and she heard Hickory, Winston Salem, and Greensboro were closing. I am think these stores already know this by now from the info we recieved. Of course this in not NOT CONFIRMED info just rumors.

jiminyfan

CMs that have under 3 years get 20% discount on merchandise, CMs with 3 or more years get 35%. Park entrance and comp passes have not been told to us yet. During our time with the WDC we were able to use our IDs to gain entrance to the parks, mangers and ASMs got silver passes that allow them and 3 others in free. There are blackout dates for these perks. We were also give 4 1 day hoppers in a calendar year. Two were given in July and 2 in December. They expired in 18 months. Casuals were not given the passes our entrance on IDs.

Other perks , back when, were 20% off meals in certain places, 30%-60% off rooms, and the ability to buy up to 20 passes a year at a cast discounts. The passes were ordered through EARS, the computer at work. We have no idea what will be given back to us at this time. It is all a wait and see game.

Thanks. I did find out about the 20% & 35%, last night. Along with being told even though our store was on the list to be purchased, we are being closed. Along with 4 other stores in our district. My ASM said they expect us to be closed in 6 to 8 weeks. He did say something about 2 other stores were told 2 weeks ago they would be closed but told yesterday, they aren't. So I am still hoping, but he mentioned a small fed-ex envelope that only my store manager can open, he feels that is the papers, verify what they were told on confrence call, but he really didn't feel like talking about it. So don't know anymore than that. But it was really tough to work last night and then again tonight.

lilo091701

I am so excited!!!

We were on the closing list but we are NOT closing!!!!!!!!!!!!!:sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom